Author Topic: Simple traction engine plans?  (Read 8740 times)

Offline Mark.j

Simple traction engine plans?
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:16:02 PM »
Hi, forgive me if this has been discussed before. I tried searching and google but didnt come up with much.

Are there plans and or castings for a simplified Traction engine? Something like the Cracker Loco but in a traction engine?

I found the Myfordboy website and his casting set and plans along with all the videos he made, this seems like it might be a good choice for a fairly new Model Machinist. Does anyone have experience with this model?

Any help would be appreciated.
-Mark

Offline samc88

Re: Simple traction engine plans?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:36:24 AM »
Not had personal experience other than looking at the videos and was going to suggest the Myfordboy traction engine, looks simple enough. Was thinking of making one but ended up getting some Minnie bits and the book instead. I imagine the myford boy engine will be a fair bit cheaper than other tration engine model castings

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 12:55:38 AM »
Many years ago, very early in my model engineering path, I purchased the plans for the Myfordboy traction engine, got it built without much trouble, but never got it running - that was MY lack of experience showing though, did not have the silver soldering skills or knowledge to get rid of the leaks I had, and that was before I got involved with the forums where I am sure I would have gotten the help I needed. Still have the engine up on a shelf, one of these days I am going to get it down and rework it....

Offline Mark.j

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:13:58 AM »
Thanks guys. Silver soldering is definitely one of those skills I need to work on myself. Ive got the plans from Elderberry For the "British Toy Loco". It was first drawn as the Dickins back in the 1970s. Its my next project and Im hoping Ill learn some needed skills for a slightly more complex project like the Myford boy.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
Ther is also the "Wells" traction engine that used a couple of simple castings but they could quite easily be cut from solid, this was often done as a schools project. More like a small Mamod so simpler than Myfordboy's one.

A google for "wells traction engine" should bring it up.

There was also a nice little one done in Model Engineer magazine called "Little Ben" which with a bit of detailing makes up into a attractive engien

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:45:33 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 11:32:24 AM »
One of the High Schools in Christchurch (NZ)used to (they may still) run evening classes each year, and the subject  was to build a "Little Ben" traction engine. All the classes were over booked, I think they may have been for up to twenty at a time, and there were three or four times that number trying to get in. There must be dozens of them in the Canterbury area.
Ian S C

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »
In addition, there is also "sweet sixteen" by Rex Tingey, a reduced version of Minnie, and watered down too, which may give an apealing little engine.
You could replace easily its valveless engine, if you prefer a more classical cylinder and valve, ie, slip eccentric driven.
the complete description is downloadable here : from issue 6 to the end,  I guess
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article/model-mechanics-complete-issues-for-download-parts-5--10/5504

But there is certainly more work to do than with " little Ben"...

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »
Also around the same complexity of Sweet 16 (a 1/16th scale freelance) is "Modular" which was in ME and as the name suggests was of modular construction so the Cylinder/crank/flywheel was one part that could be built up as a stand alone engine and if that worked OK you could then add the wheels etc.

Offline Mark.j

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
WOW, excellent info, thank you guys! You have given me quite a bit to look at. The Wells is exactly what I was thinking. Little Ben with a little more detail is also a great option, as is Sweet 16. Ill research all of these.

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
Have a Google for "PYRTE". Stands for Pull You Round Traction Engine. Plans are £20 isn't. Looks relatively easy to build and infinitely upgradeable. Instructions read well but some bits could be changed immediately. I am looking into building a revised version to 150% size of the original. Certainly worth a look.

Julian

Offline Mark.j

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »
Thanks Julian, the PYRTE is a pretty cool project! a little large for me right now, but definitely looks to belong in this thread, so thanks for mentioning it!
 At 150% I hope you post some build pics if you decide to go for it!

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 09:43:54 PM »
Hoping to get to it next year but got several ongoing projects that have to be finished first including CNC machine, dro electronics, simplex 5" loco, electric traction engine, gas firing for simplex, small marine engines and some others I don't know I need to do yet!!!!!!

Regards

Julian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal