Author Topic: GMES 2017  (Read 15646 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: GMES 2017
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
Quite different rules at the logging museum when driving the Lombard around, the loop went in front of the visitor center and through the parking lot, was great when a car came around the corner towards the Hauler, driver's eyes would get really big as they found a spot to pull off onto the side out of the way of a 20 ton steamer, tracks going by a foot from their side window!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »
I think Graham may have heard about the mud wrestling that has gone on in the bottom field in previous years :-X

The site fencing is not a bad idea around the IC engines particularly if one decides to part company with it's prop as happened to Malcom Stride a few years ago

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
Mud wrestling!!!  That has happened several times in recent years. The bottom field (traction engines and stationary engines) becomes flooded after days of continual rain. Everyone was very grateful that there was a marquee to run and shelter in. I am sure even Graham would have taken advantage of the Model Engineering Display Tent.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
Mud wrestling!   :o

A case of “ Horses for courses “ though.... I’d agree with you regarding propeller’s.

A story that came to mind was back in the late 70’s in the days when folk could afford to rally really big engines. A majestic single flywheel Crossley was ticking over slowly and not being properly levelled removed its flywheel from the crankshaft. The flywheel then proceeded to run along the grass between the fence and engines on display. Several yards later a slightly forward Bentall Pioneer stopped its progress abruptly. The only casualty was the Bentall, an unusually constructed engine built by bolting two halves together, it broke in half.

Cheers Graham.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:58 PM »
Mud wrestling!   :o

A case of “ Horses for courses “ though.... I’d agree with you regarding propeller’s.

A story that came to mind was back in the late 70’s in the days when folk could afford to rally really big engines. A majestic single flywheel Crossley was ticking over slowly and not being properly levelled removed its flywheel from the crankshaft. The flywheel then proceeded to run along the grass between the fence and engines on display. Several yards later a slightly forward Bentall Pioneer stopped its progress abruptly. The only casualty was the Bentall, an unusually constructed engine built by bolting two halves together, it broke in half.

Cheers Graham.
Ouch!

Sounds like the problem they had at the place one of my parents old neighbors had at work - they had a test stand for airplane props/engines, one day a prop came loose, wound up making a large irregular hole in the shop wall (fortunately no one was in the way!)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
More news on the Guildford Rally, they put out an Email the other day which reads:

Another way of looking at it, is to describe it as a two day public running event where we invite all our friends and other societies to run their trains, traction engines and boats. We also want to reduce the financial risks of the Rally and cut our costs, therefore the main casualty will be the big marquee which incurs both the hire cost, and also insurance costs for the exhibits therein, plus the overnight security guard for the Friday and Saturday nights. We are working on securing a series of smaller tents and gazebos to house various other exhibits

Which sounds like: no big tent to display our models and to chat to the other model makers/visitors in, displaying our models at our own risk  :paranoia: I guess the answer would be to not take as many to display and take them home at the end of the day  :noidea:

So I am :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
I guess the answer would be to not take as many to display and take them home at the end of the day  :noidea:

I guess we have known that decision was coming for a while, but it does not make the announcement any easier.

We have got to make the best of it if we still want to display our models and to chat to the other model makers/visitors.

I can live without the insurance and I would be happy to take my display home at the end of each day. So Jo, as you are a member of the Guildford Club (and any other club members) can you start canvasing the committee to provide us die-hards with a number of open air display benches and even some garden gazebos to keep the damp stuff away. That way we can maintain the spirit of the show and who knows what may happen in the future.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »

I can live without the insurance and I would be happy to take my display home at the end of each day. So Jo, as you are a member of the Guildford Club (and any other club members) can you start canvasing the committee to provide us die-hards with a number of open air display benches and even some garden gazebos to keep the damp stuff away. That way we can maintain the spirit of the show and who knows what may happen in the future.

I am not a member any more  :ShakeHead: I decided that there was little point in paying them £50 a year to subsidise them playing choochoo trains and have them forever whinging at me for not wanting to muck up my Sunday helping them. I originally joined hoping to find other model engineers who made things about my age (and possibly a boyfriend   :embarassed: ) There are only a couple of the old folks members who actually make anything any more   :stickpoke:

Jo
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:42:54 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »
Not just a UK or Jo. The little show that tried to get started in South Carolina the past three years will not be held this year, the organizer cited show expenses as just too much to continue....venue, insurance, etc.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal