Author Topic: Hello Everyone!!  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Mark.j

Hello Everyone!!
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »
 My name is Mark, I live in Atlanta Georgia.
 I started getting into home machining as a hobby a few years ago. Ive been around model engines my whole life, my father was an avid collector of model airplane engines and he had an extensive collection. (I now own that collection and cherish it). Like him, Ive always marveled at the beauty of all things mechanical.

Im an aircraft mechanic and learned the basics of machine operation and metrology  through work. Ive been watching these forums and day dreaming for some time now and thought it was about time to get out to the shop and see if I could build an engine.

I fell in love with the little Liney Halo 5 cylinder radial but I figured it probably was a poor choice for a first engine. So I purchased plans and materials for the Liney RV-1 and Thimble engines. Ive had a great time building them. They run well and it was a great experience. Now the list of must build engines is starting to grow. I just purchased the plans and materials for a little 0-4-0 toy steam loco from the Little Machine shop, and that will be my next project, after that, Ive got my eye on a hoglet V-twin..... Anyway, here are a few pictures of the two Ive built so far. Looking forward to finally participating in the forum!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Hello Everyone!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum!  Those are some very nice little engines you've made there!

You should post some pictures of your shop & equipment too, in the "My Workshop" section so we can see what you use to build these beauties!

Kim

Offline Pthunberg

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:09:42 PM »
Very nice looking engines. I really like the RV1. I am also new to the site and am currently working on my third engine.

Paul

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:15:21 PM »
Hi and welcome to MEM Mark. It's plain to see you have caught the bug now and there is no known cure  ;). Nice work on your two engines so far and will look forward to your active participation on the forum.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:44 PM »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum. I also like the RV1 and would like to see a video of it in operation.
Thomas

Offline Mark.j

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:25:25 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys!
Kim, Sure Ill take some shop pics and post them up.
Steam Dude, I do have some brief videos of both the engines running. I just have to figure out how to get them posted to Youtube and Ill post a brief thread on the RV-1.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
Hi Mark
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »
Welcome Mark. You've done some really nice work so far!

--TIm

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 05:13:18 AM »
Welcome to MEM Mark. I like those engines!

I'll be looking forward to your participation here.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »
Hi Mark, a nice start into the MEM world, welcome.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 11:48:08 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: You look to be off to a good start  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mark.j

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
Thanks Again,
 Im working on taking better pictures. I will probably ask Santa for a real camera this year, but for now im just using my Samsung phone. Im finding what most of you already know, taking quality pictures of tiny, shiny parts out in the shop is a whole other skill set that needs practice!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
Welcome Mark,

It is usually not the camera that matters, more in how you use it. I have a $1500 digital SLR and have the same challenges.

The trick is lighting for photos of small things. Too much bright light from a single source will show more 'detail' than you want to share :-) Putting some translucent film e.g. tracing paper, helps difuse the light so there is no single point.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Mark.j

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »
"It is usually not the camera that matters, more in how you use it." --True words indeed.

But a nice DSLR couldn't hurt, and Ive been hunting for an excuse to get one!!! this might just be it! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal