Author Topic: It's all about the money  (Read 8493 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: It's all about the money
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2017, 05:19:15 AM »
New ploy Guys: I noted that when I go to Photosuckit I get lots of John Lewis adverts. Now John Lewis is a shop chain in the UK that has high standards and what Photosuckit has done is broken many valuable knowledge resources both Cultural and historical, which goes against the ethos of JL  :hellno: So I have just sent john Lewis a message suggesting that they may wish to disassociate themselves with Photosuckit  ;)

May I recommend that you look to hit Photosuckit where it hurts: complain to the advertisers about them supporting a site that resorts to ransom  :)

Jo

That's an interesting idea Jo. I'll be anxious to hear what they have to say.

Here's what I'm wondering about a company and their advertising. I've noticed that, if I've looked at some item on somebodies website, that an ad for that item shows up on various other websites I look at. Anyway....... I'm thinking that a company (like JL) may subscribe to an advertising service, much the same way we subscribe to something like Photobucket. Then that company tells the company that wants to advertise their product.........send us your ad and we'll plaster your ad on whatever website your potential customer looks at. Maybe someone that knows about such things can ad some input.

It that isn't how it works, maybe I can start a service like that and make millions, retire to an island in the South Pacific, set up my dream machine shop, and while away my days. Well except for when I'm laying in my hammock on the beach sipping mint juleps!  :LickLips:  :wine1:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »
New ploy Guys: I noted that when I go to Photosuckit I get lots of John Lewis adverts. Now John Lewis is a shop chain in the UK that has high standards and what Photosuckit has done is broken many valuable knowledge resources both Cultural and historical, which goes against the ethos of JL  :hellno: So I have just sent john Lewis a message suggesting that they may wish to disassociate themselves with Photosuckit  ;)

May I recommend that you look to hit Photosuckit where it hurts: complain to the advertisers about them supporting a site that resorts to ransom  :)

Jo

I use Firefox & uBlock and I get no adverts .... it does say it's blocked 21 when I log in to PB.

Perfectly good rant and I don't qualify. Feeling deprived ....  :'(  :'(  :'(

Dave

Ooops ... 29
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:03:07 AM by Bluechip »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2017, 02:23:19 AM »
Spent some time this evening getting my Lombard build pages converted from referencing photos on PhotoSuckit to PostImage.org, which so far is still free and ad free, and allows linking. Made up a little program to search the image number on the other sites list, and convert the text - handy to be a programmer sometimes. Still some manual work, and it only is set up for my naming conventions, so not generally useful to others, unfortunately. But, have 10 of 35 pages done, another couple sessions and I will tell PB to go suck swarf.

I've noticed today that their site is getting bogged down worse than usual, and sometimes it would not even let me see my own images. Just saw the post from Ave about the hosting - that is great news!

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2017, 07:13:04 PM »
I read the agreement. Cheapest plan with linking is 100 bucks a year. I'm afraid I'm going to have to delete my account. I would rather spend the hundred bucks on something for the shop or a nicer room when I visit my Ohio friends during the Zanesville show.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2017, 07:19:02 PM »
I've been using Photobucket for 7 years now, and paying about $40 a year for my account. If they jack the price to $400 a year, about 8000 of my pictures are going to disappear of all of the forums.----Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal