Author Topic: G Britnell's Fordillac  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
Re: G Britnell's Fordillac
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 01:09:49 AM »
After many different attempts at the second method, all resulting in failure no mater how long and carefully I attempted, they all broke. So I am currently rethinking my method. I may attempt a retry of my first attempt but with a few changes.

All the failures are making me more determined to get this to work and having to rethink my strategy.
I will get this to work!

And each failure is enjoyable so it is not a complete loss

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 01:27:26 PM »
When you even enjoy the failures, everything must be great  ;)
or at least easier to overcome.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 12:00:59 AM »
When you even enjoy the failures, everything must be great  ;)
or at least easier to overcome.

Best wishes

Per

Worst parts are the moments of having to wait for something.
Like right now, I ran out of CO2 and had to go buy a larger tank, the paintball tank wasn't cutting it. So now I get to wait on a new regulator before I can continue.
hopeful for this coming weekend I might have something, or something else learned. either way something will happen ;D

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »
Update!!

I managed to make all my cores and get them all glued together all pretty like, then noticed after my glue dried that my top half of my mold dried out and was quite crumbly. coulda shoulda poured it righ then and delt with it, but I didn't and ended up trying to break out the dry stuff and repair it.

the repaired part work great but the rest got all buggered up. so it required a rebuild of the top half. unfortunately the cores were all glued into the other half.

so learning what not to do, I decided to make the top half withough the bottom section to align it, it turned out good, but the complete alignment failed miserably, though I couldent see in the assembled mold I went for it anyway just to see what would happen.

the results were a failure, but I was pretty positive on that before hand.

I did not bother to clean it up too great as it was a failure. I think I will keep it around for a bit..
The top half was not aligned properly. turns out that this block is fairly complex to cast for a beginner, but I will continue to work on it.

for now I might just cast the block solid and at least get my project moving.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:20 AM »
Thought I would share another fail.

This time the finish turned out better, and the core material came out a lot easier.
I changed the core sand out and went with a different way of assembling the mold. it worked much smoother and let me make sure it all lined up better.

This time around I went with a smaller feeder and there was a slight volcano effect with a ton of air pockets.
I am fairly happy with the results this time around. though I will have to make some modifications to my water jacket cores, even lined up properly it leaves the wall very thin.
so with some adjustments to that for my next go at it, I hope to at least solve my giant hole problem.

The air pocket explosion is probably due to my smaller feeder and the rate at which I poured.
I feel as though some progress has been made in the quest to pour the block successfully.

Any suggestions are more then welcome

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 11:04:37 PM »
It has been a long 2 weeks now waiting... I ordered some new sand last Tuesday and didn't hear anything for 8 days, upon calling them to check the status of the shipment, it turns out that they had not even process or shipped my order.

I received and email yesterday that it has been shipped and was due to arrive today. unfortunately it hasn't. the waiting game continues...

With the extra time to reflect on the most recent try, I have noticed that the cores float in the aluminum.

My 4 crank cores are about 3/16" too short to properly hold everything in place, so they float up to the top that 3/16" allowing the water jacket cores to float outward closer to the sides. effectively making the walls thinner and more likely to fail.

I have printed out new crank core molds and awaiting the sand.

The last core sand I used is quite brittle. bentonite and moisture in the mix make it harder to work, but much easier to remove from the casting.

So if all goes to plan, I should have more pictures and maybe more learned this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:34:09 PM by Shiroth »

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 04:12:33 AM »
This is fun to watch, keep it up!

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 12:13:19 AM »
This is fun to watch, keep it up!

Thanks, though it seems as though murphy is after me. this weekend appears to be a bust as UPS has decided to pull a "Canada post" in terms of delivery speeds.
I really wish I had picked it up myself on the 22nd when I ordered it. it is turning into a nightmare just to get something from 1.5 hours away.

:Mad: :Mad: :Mad:

EDIT.. Got the sand today, 13 days after I had ordered it. then it turns out they sent me the wrong sand.
If I didn't have this bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all
 :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:21:49 AM by Shiroth »

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:06 AM »
Back at it!!

New sand makes great cores. This attempt was almost useable!!
it just decided not to fill in completely.

Cores and Core Molds.

Looked like a winner at the time.

This try was far from perfect, I could live with some of the broken sand parts.
each attempt is a little time consuming. often very hit and miss on making the mold, too many times it would break and I would have to redo it.

Seems to get closer and closer to success with every pour!
The finish is not too pretty, but I think it adds character.

It has been a rough and frustrating 2 weeks.
Back on track now

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »
As of this last month, been sick twice now and passing it back and forth.

I have made a few more attempts in the meantime. all of which were scrap before I even dug them out.
leak outs and volcano action and 1 poor extension cord was victim. I thought I had adequate ventilation, but I guess it wasn't enough.

Foundry is in very rough shape and needing to build a better one.
I have acquired all the materials except the castable refractory cement / concrete to build the new one.

In the last month, I have decided to shelf the fordillac until I have more experience.

I have come up with my own little design (maybe not little) that I will be attempting to build, with hopes of better progress and experience.

My plan is a simpler less pretty design and a bit larger then the fordillac.

inline 4, over head cam/cams. 1.5" bore x 1.5" stroke
my main plan is to eventually get this built, then maybe build a second one but V8

Maybe at that time I can come back to the fordillac again.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 08:57:15 AM »
In the last month, I have decided to shelf the fordillac until I have more experience.

That sounds like a plan  :) I would even suggest something even simpler than the inline 4 maybe a single or twin cylinder engine. That way you can see what the cast Aluminium quality is like before you do something more time consuming. And machining the simple engine should be relatively quick and give you something to play with while you work on casting the multi cylinder engines.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
If I could make a suggestion. It looks like you have bad shrinks on most of your pours and I don't see any risers coming off the block. When the metal starts to cool, and shrink, it needs to have some small reservoirs to draw metal from. The mold also needs vents for the gas from cavity to escape.
No matter what you pour in the future provide these features and you should get a better casting.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
If I could make a suggestion. It looks like you have bad shrinks on most of your pours and I don't see any risers coming off the block. When the metal starts to cool, and shrink, it needs to have some small reservoirs to draw metal from. The mold also needs vents for the gas from cavity to escape.
No matter what you pour in the future provide these features and you should get a better casting.
gbritnell

I am not sure I know what you mean by seeing bad shrinkage.

As for the riser, there is one on every pour, and ventilation I just had a bunch of smaller vents about 1/8" (I am am willing to say that it is not adequate enough)
A second riser for venting would probable be the best bet. I will have to give that a try one day =)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal