Author Topic: Currin's Travelling Sherline Show  (Read 23950 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Currin's Travelling Sherline Show
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
Looks good Hugh!
Please keep us posted.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 02:15:15 AM »
You've sure packed a lot in there, Hugh!

So, does your raw materials go along the sides next to the tooling stack? You could fit a lot of bar stock in there!  Make sure you don't overload your rear axles!  ;)

Can't wait to hear how your travelling Sherline show works out.  Maybe you can sell tickets to the show when you pull into a new camp site!  :Lol:

Kim

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 03:10:25 AM »
Hi Hugh, Have you seen this? If not, an idea for the picnic table when your camping, novel fuel too. A little bigger boiler and engine and and potentially a viable power source for a steam enthusiast. Regards, Paul Gough.

<<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tAUNaHomc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tAUNaHomc</a>

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:23 AM »
Hi Hugh, Have you seen this? If not, an idea for the picnic table when your camping, novel fuel too. A little bigger boiler and engine and and potentially a viable power source for a steam enthusiast. Regards, Paul Gough.

Now that is way cool!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »
Hand sanitizer as a fuel...now there is a novel idea! 

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »
Hand sanitizer as a fuel...now there is a novel idea! 

Bill
Would that explain the old conspiracy theory about spontaneous combustion?   :ROFL:

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
You've sure packed a lot in there, Hugh!

So, does your raw materials go along the sides next to the tooling stack? You could fit a lot of bar stock in there!  Make sure you don't overload your rear axles!  ;)

Can't wait to hear how your travelling Sherline show works out.  Maybe you can sell tickets to the show when you pull into a new camp site!  :Lol:

Kim

Kim: It is amazing, after looking around the shop and considering which tools are "essential", how many tools you end up with. Yes a lot of tooling and those boxes are heavy.

Remember, tiny engines. The stock for the LTD Stirling is in one of the Bosch boxes. Don't know what I'll do if I eventually need to order new stock. "Hello. I'd like to order a 1/2" piece of 3" bar, please".

Probably no tickets but I expect interest and maybe even a few beers.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »

Paul: I hadn't seen that, very interesting. Another idea for those builders trying to find something for our engines to do. But you need the steam engine to make the lathe work to build the steam engine to make the lathe work to build the engine to.... Chicken and the egg. :-)

I must confess stray thoughts about hooking a small IC engine to my lathe/mill. That for when the world stops and we need to trade work on farm equipment for food. Followed immediately by, your crazy. But by then the thought has occurred. (But then his whole project is evidence that yes, I am crazy.)

Thanks for the note and video. Cool.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2017, 03:46:25 AM »
A note from Brenda AZ. We're here for awhile and I'm going to try the Traveling Show. Set up at a picnic table looks like this:

and with the crazy fool who thought it could work:

I've found that chips (schwarf) is more of a problem that I'd anticipated. The Sherline Lathe can spew chips way beyond the meager tarp under the table. I've decided to get a "sun canopy" with either solid or mesh side walls. With a large tarp going beyond the "tent" walls it should contain the chips fairly well. I'm now searching for one and will wait on it before doing more work.

A canopy will also help with set-up. It takes some 45 minutes to set-up and 1+ hours to put away. So any machining takes a day. A canopy will allow the set-up to remain allowing an hour or two of work at a time.

It is nice to be outside machining where it's 70 degrees, in December though.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Hugh
Hugh

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2017, 04:03:44 AM »
Great setup! I like the idea of combining the outdoors with working on a project. For the swarf spray, one thing I have done is take some sheets of plexiglass and used some slotted blocks of wood to stand them up on the sides and behind the Sherline, stops a lot. Combined with a shield clipped or taped on the cross slide, stops even more.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2017, 04:24:05 AM »
Looks like a great start on your endeavor Hugh. Swarf is definitely an issue, but I think Chris has some good ideas. I have a backboard behind my lathe and mill which helps a lot.

Enjoy the sun and warmth down there. It's 28 degrees in K Falls right now.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2017, 06:06:24 AM »
Very cool setup there Hugh!  Though I can see it being a bit of a pain to have to setup and take down every time you want to use it, so the walled canopy seems like a great idea.

So, did you make anything? Or just set it up and test it out? :)
Kim

[Edit]
PS Ignore my question, I just saw your other post!  :embarassed:)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:09:47 AM by Kim »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »
Very nice and compact Hugh, but that is what you were after of course.  I can only imagine the looks/questions you get or will get as people walk by and see that set-up  :o  I know I would sure be interested in what was going on :)

Bill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »
You could always claim to be making spare parts for the car / van when asked what you do  ^-^

Enjoy the sun and warmth down there. It's 28 degrees in K Falls right now.

Oh man that gave me a few thoughts - like 28 degrees K (Kelvin) [-409 F / -245 C] (that) Falls (now) => Outer Space or NASA's test lab where the big James Webb Space Telescope runs last test before launch 2018 .... Brrr .... 28 degrees Fahrenheit - now that's a lot better, almost what we have here - 2 C .... 28 degrees Celsius - now that is warm enough.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2017, 03:17:10 AM »
crueby: Good idea with the guards. I'll likely try some of cardboard next time I set up. After trying to pick chips out of the gravel I think it needs more, but this should help.

Kim: I ordered a "sun canopy" with side walls. That, with a cheep 12'x12' tarp underneath should go a long way to control chips and allow longer term set ups. Should be back in business soon after Christmas.

Bill: After two days working I've only had one neighbor ask about it. I mentioned model engines and didn't get a look of comprehension back. Probably should say car parts, but then I'd could have customers lined up and no time to do my projects.

Admiral_dk: I see the confusion with that "K" sitting there. But Jim and I both know what we meant. I'll try to put and "F" where needed realizing it's an international forum. Are they testing the telescope at those temperatures? Does the chamber also pull a high vacuum? That would be a hard test setup in the size needed. I'd like to see that.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal