Author Topic: Currin's Travelling Sherline Show  (Read 23954 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Currin's Travelling Sherline Show
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 07:24:38 PM »
So, you pull in to a rest stop on the turnpike, machine a bunch of stuff, and drive off, leaving all the swarf behind? 

Works for me!!

I was thinking in terms of a motel room!  :mischief:

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »
So, you pull in to a rest stop on the turnpike, machine a bunch of stuff, and drive off, leaving all the swarf behind? 

Works for me!!

:lolb:

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »
I think you're going to need a bigger car, Hugh!  :shrug:

I'm interested to hear how you envision using your shop. I looks like a really nice set-up.

Jim

Jim: A bigger tow vehicle could be in the cards. Since we'll be living in the trailer a larger one would be good. Likely a diesel pickup, mileage, more power, and a storage shed behind the cab. We'll see though once we try the current set up (XTerra).

The thinking for the shop! We'll likely set up outside Quartzsite for the winter season, this year for sure and likely for years to come. Maybe a different spot but still set-up for the winter. Ideally buy a canvas tent for a shop though some parks don't allow such. With or without a tent set up on a picnic table and go to work. If no tent likely put down a cheap tarp to catch chips. Depending on how it works out, maybe leave the shop in a storage unit during the summer? That's to be determined. The projects will likely be model engines (small) and similar. I'm trying to get back to the LTD Stirling I've mentioned.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »

Works for me!!

A rest area would work well, if I can steal electricity. Motels are expensive but sure would solve the swarf problem. Likely couldn't come back to the same one though. :-)

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
Amazingly organized Hugh. I hope it works out as well as you expect. Keep us posted on your travelling shop and what you are making with it.

Bill

Bill: Thanks. Riding around for long periods I think would beat up the tools if not packed well. We'll see if the organization holds up. Most shops look neat and organized until they are used. Then, not so much.

I'm trying to get back to the LTD Stirling I've mentioned. It's the first project on the list. It planned this for last summer using the Sherlines, but was pushed aside getting the Traveling Show organized. I plan to do a build log on it.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »

Works for me!!

A rest area would work well, if I can steal electricity. Motels are expensive but sure would solve the swarf problem. Likely couldn't come back to the same one though. :-)

Thanks.

Hugh
No generator?

Or these days the solar cells are much more efficient, could charge a big car battery with an inverter to get AC voltage back...

Or, make a steam powered AC generator!

Whatever, all sounds like an interesting way to go!   :cheers:

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2017, 11:50:30 PM »
Lots of nice work there Hugh, I would have trouble thinking that far ahead.

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2017, 03:20:12 AM »
Hugh,

Back in post #48 you mentioned ordering an ER-32 chuck from Beall Tool. Did you get it and if so how do you like it? I've got an ER-16 holder and collets for my Sherlines and use the heck out of it. An ER-32 would be nice to have.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2017, 03:44:28 AM »
Hugh,

Back in post #48 you mentioned ordering an ER-32 chuck from Beall Tool. Did you get it and if so how do you like it? I've got an ER-16 holder and collets for my Sherlines and use the heck out of it. An ER-32 would be nice to have.

Jim

Jim: I did order the Beall ER-32 chuck for my Sherline. I haven't used it yet. Haven't done a lot with the Sherline other than get it ready to go. So not a fair review, but it does seem big with considerable overhang. It could prove very useful though, pretty large capacity. I'll probably find the room to take it along and try it. Hopefully I can give you a better idea later. I did make an ER-20 chuck. It's found a place in my kit and I do like it. The ER-20 is the size used on the Tormach milling tool holders so I have a few collets but far from a full range.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 05:37:13 AM »
Jim, in reply 67 you mention you have an ER16 holder an collets for your Sherline Lathe. Could you inform me the brand and supplier please. This would be a very useful item for me. Ditto to anybody else who knows of ER 11 or 16, please let me know which and where from. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
Jim, in reply 67 you mention you have an ER16 holder an collets for your Sherline Lathe. Could you inform me the brand and supplier please. This would be a very useful item for me. Ditto to anybody else who knows of ER 11 or 16, please let me know which and where from. Regards, Paul Gough.

Hi Paul,

Here's a link to the ER-16 collet holder I have: http://www.taigtools.com/c1045ER.html It's made to fit a Taig spindle and has about a 1/8" shoulder that keeps it from screwing on to the Sherline spindle more than a couple of turns. Once that shoulder was turned off, it screws on completely. I use it often.

I also bought 2 collet wrenches, which I think were these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ER16A-Wrench-For-Clamping-Nut-CNC-Milling-Lathe-Precision-Spanner-New-Parts/263249129845?epid=685805349&hash=item3d4adef175:g:bQoAAOSwOrxZ12I3

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline paul gough

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
Jim, thank you very much for the info, I'll check it out. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »
Hi Paul, Ausee Machines and Tools here in Melbourne have those collets and holders.  They advertise in AME, and you can find the whole catalogue on line.  It takes about 45 minutes, but I ring and then go there.  They seem to provide reasonable service and will do mail order, and do for most of their business as far as I can see.  I suggest look them up on line and then give them a call.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline paul gough

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
Thanks MJM, I was not aware Ausee would have any holders that would screw onto a Sherline spindle, I'll check them out. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:12 PM »
One more note on the Traveling Show. Here's a pic of the Show loaded into Terra for a trial trip.

Yeti doesn't have anything to do with the Traveling Show, unless you need an ice tea while machining. :-)

Now, with luck, I can get back to the LTD Stirling build. It was planned for last summer but now looks like a winter project.

Thanks for coming along.

Hugh
Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal