Author Topic: 4000 Strong!!  (Read 7592 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 4000 Strong!!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
Um....the 4000 referred to members not casting sets. Anyone have anything to contribute as to how to get the 3200+ non active members more active?

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »
"Greenly" that's not an engine that's a ChooChoo

Actually it is castings for the "Green" 30cc slide valve engine and I remain Greeny with desire for a set but I have alternative cheaper sources   ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
Um....the 4000 referred to members not casting sets. Anyone have anything to contribute as to how to get the 800+ non active members more active?

Bill

:facepalm: Sorry Bill I have castings on my mind again. Its the sight of all of those sitting on the table  :embarassed:

There must be some other members out there building engines who would like to show us their castings sets engine builds 8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
Um....the 4000 referred to members not casting sets. Anyone have anything to contribute as to how to get the 3200+ non active members more active?

Bill

Well on the Forum that I moderate on that has far more registered members one thing that gets a lot of activity is a thread I started a couple of years back titled "What did you do today"  A lot of people don't want to do a whole thread on a build for example but it allows them to make a single posting just showing what they have been upto. Another forum copied the same idea and that thread also gets a lot of activity. Only proviso is that posts should be Model Engineering related, no "I walked the dog" or "what I had for breakfast" etc

We now have to start a new thread each year as it runs to over 100 pages of posts what with the initial posts and the comments in return.

J

PS sorry Jo I read it as Greenly not Greeny

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 08:22:06 PM »
NO problem ..this is the chatterbox area after all, but I am after suggestions to get people more involved (and ongoing problem for all forums I know). Jason that is a suggestion maybe we can try, especially if it has worked elsewhere, so thanks for that.  I think some are still just intimidated at times and shy away from posting, even though we are a friendly group.  I don't necessarily understand it myself, bit i think if we can coax them out of the shadows and they don't get eaten up (which they won't of course) them perhaps they will become more prone to post more and join in the discussions.

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »
Glad to be one of the 814 who posted more than twice :-)

I will get back to posting once I finish the new deck (15'x20') in 2 levels. Already built 2 new gates and revitalized a 53'x14' side yard with path, plantings and a water feature. These are the last major projects for the house we bought 2 years ago.

Re: castings, I am presently fighting off delusions of attempting to cast up the parts for a 1/4 scale 1976'ish Ferrari 308 engine using Zamak. Thankfully have to draw it up first so it will be a while :-) I will borrow a block and heads in the fall.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »
I don't know Bill.  If you can figure out a way to get them to post, you may have found an answer for the "meaning of life."  I belive the two are that allusive.

I have found in life that everyone you meet knows something that you do not.  I wish the noobies and lurkers would post.  I could learn so much from them.

To the noobies and lurkers:
This is the one site where threads don't become pissing matches.  Meaningful advice is freely given without criticism.  It is the one place where a noobie won't get ridiculed or blasted.  We all want to see the hobby flourish; therefore, we are going to encourge and help posters.   If you look at the tone of threads and their responses, you will see that this place lacks "experts". 

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
Bill:

You could try a group project. Everyone in the group makes a number of one part and sends them to others in the group. Then put the parts together and, by some miracle, make it run. Of course keeping a running log. Could try it with something like a wobbler to start. (Yes I see lotsa problems, but it might get more involvement.)

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
Hugh, yes I recall team builds over on the other site, and with mixed results. I am all for it if it brings in some new folks. Team builds by the regulars don't really crank my tractor, but that is just one opinion. At the moment I am open to all ideas, so thanks for the suggestion!!

Bll

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 11:22:47 PM »
Bill,

I think this is a great forum, it's very friendly and offers a wealth of advice just by asking a question so it's a shame that most members remain silent, but I think it's the same story on most internet forums and I suspect there is little you can do about it.

The one thing I would say though is when I first joined a couple of years ago I had the impression it was more aimed at expert modellers / engineers so as a beginner I was reluctant to contribute. I realise now that the site does cater for all skill levels but didn't at the time and it may be that some less experienced members think the way I did.

Would it help if you added a 'beginners section' where people could ask basic questions etc ?   I'm not saying that will increase the number of posts but it may be worth thinking about and asking other members what they think.

Peter

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:37:29 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:13 PM »
I think you may be right Peter, and I know it is an uphill battle. But you experiences early on may ring true with many. I do believe though that even novices are welcomed cordially here and supported well and positively by those with more experience. I for one love seeing first engines and we all remember how good that first one felt. Thanks for your input on this!!!

Bill

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 11:46:47 PM »
You/we are up against the the old 80/20 rule, of any group. 20 % activity posting he other 80 mostly sitting on the sidelines.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 12:10:30 AM »
Peter-

Perhaps that impression was due to the lack of participation of less experienced modelers.  If only experienced modelers are willing to post, then the illusion of the site being for experts is created.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »
It's always hard to break that 'posting' barrier.  Some people are happy to learn just by reading others posts.  I traditionally fall into that category. I'm not much of an extrovert :)  I lurked on this site for several months before I posted.  But the thing is, I DID post on this site.  And there are many machining forums I made a conscious choice NOT to post due to the flavor of site and the way people talked to each other.

But on this forum, I made a conscious choice to actively participate because people were positive and supportive of each other.  I hope more people will do the same.  I could be the poster child of how much more you can learn by posting!  And not just posting questions, but your work too, because people will see what you're doing and can comment on things that you didn't even know to ask!

Anyway, I'd love to see more people participate, but I kind-of agree with Peter - it has always been this way with forums I've been a part of. The large majority of the people don't post, and only participate through reading.  And if they can learn from that, and derive enjoyment there, who am I to stand in their way?  :???:

We're already doing the best thing we can, and that's providing a place where everyone is welcome and supported, and belittling others is not tolerated.  But if there are things we can do to encourage others to participate more, that would be wonderful.

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 12:27:49 AM »
Peter-

Perhaps that impression was due to the lack of participation of less experienced modelers.  If only experienced modelers are willing to post, then the illusion of the site being for experts is created.

-Bob

While this is true, I post, and I don't consider myself an experienced modeler.  I'm quite the newbie.  And there are others who I see posting who are fairly new to the game too.  And I have found the experienced modelers on this site to be incredibly helpful and generous with their comments and advice.

But I understand it can be quite intimidating to post - I feel that myself.  I don't know what to do for it other than to tell people that they will be accepted and supported wherever they are in their learning curve.  And I believe the people on this site do an excellent job of not only saying it, but demonstrating it!

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal