Author Topic: Quick change toolpost fitting - small Asian bench lathes.  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Quick change toolpost fitting - small Asian bench lathes.
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:00:17 PM »
Hi,

I've just ordered a 10x22 Asian lathe as an upgrade on my present machine and have been thinking about a QCTP - the seller will fit one before delivery but it would suit me for cost reasons to buy and fit my own later.

I'm led to believe there is some machining to fit one and didn't really want to do that to a new machine if I can help it - does anyone know what is involved ? is it a fairly simple machining operation or would I be better to bite the bullet and let the seller fit one ?

Thanks
Peter.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Re: Quick change toolpost fitting - small Asian bench lathes.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »
Peter:

It's been a long time since I fit one to my 14x33 lathe. That required no machining to the lathe itself. My lathe has a large T slot on the cross slide to mount the tool holder. To mount the QCTP I only needed to machine the plate, which came with the QCTP, down to fit the T slot in the lathe. It wasn't a big job, especially with a mill available.

Send pictures when it's on.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 04:22:09 AM »
Same here - I use the same QCTP on my 10" Atlas & 9" South Bend. Only the plates for the T-slots on the cross slides are a different size.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
Peter

I would be very surprised if you cannot fit your own QCTP, as said above it will be the toolpost plate if anything that needs modifying to fit the existing tee slot on your topslide.

Doing it yourself will allow you to have a wider choice of different types to pick from as well. David bought a reasonably priced one from RDG at Doncaster to fit his Pultra 1590 and I think he is pleased with it.

Phil

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:22 AM »
Assuming you are looking at one of the variable speed lathes like he WM250, DB10 then on some there is a boss cast into the topslide where the stud for the toolpost fits. This may be too big to fit your chosen QCTP so one or the other needs altering and the tool posts can be hardened. There is no Tee slot as others mention

I machined down the cast boss with a boring head on my 280 but that was an early one, the latest have the boss machined into the stud. Luckily these studs are a easy pres fit into the topslide so can be tapped out with a copper hammer and a new one made or altered quite easily.

You can see where I have reduced the dia of the top of theboss on mine and the stud is half way out.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »
Thanks guys, its sounds like a fairly straightforward job to fit a post later myself.

The machine I've ordered is a DB10 and I was a bit reluctant to modify a new machine unless it is relatively easy to do, if the machining is needed on the toolpost rather than the lathe as it appears then I'm happy with that.

Peter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal