Author Topic: My PMR no. 3 engine  (Read 2322 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
My PMR no. 3 engine
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
Finished this months ago, but with graduations and moving kids across the USA, and figuring out how to post video here (and get up and running with my own YouTube channel)...well.

Here is video of the engine running on air, starting at about 8-10 psi, and throttling down to about 4 psi where it's barely ticking over.  Pretty pleased with it.
[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1xSK6fksD0[/youtube1]

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: My PMR no. 3 engine
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
very nice! If it runs that slow and on low pressure, then you definitely did a good job on the fit and seals.

What engine is next?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »
Nicely done and a nice smooth runner!! Congrats and like Chris says...what is planned next  :)

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
Nice runner bent.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline bent

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  Yes, I knew it was going to work well when I could get it to (just barely) maintain rpms using just lung pressure.  Helped to have my 15 yr old trombone player providing said air pressure :)  I had some goofs in the build, but was able to figure out how to correct/compensate for them.

The "next" project was to make a steel body for a filter-drier for 3000 psi air for my high-pressure air rifle; then (after breaking a #6 tap during that project, using a crappy hardware store t-handle tap wrench) I took some time to make a knockoff version of the Starret No. 174 tap handle (YouTube's mrpete22, Lyle Petersen, had a series of videos where he made one, and I sorta copied it), maybe I should post a picture or two in the tools section?

But I've also redrawn a set of plans for a slightly upscaled version of Elmer;s Standby, using larger diameters for flywheel and crankshaft, so that's likely next for engines.  I want to work through a few more of Elmer's plans...but may wait until I get a mini-mill, as using the company's drill-mill has its drawbacks.

And all the build logs and discussion on here almost makes me want to try an IC engine!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »
The "next" project was to make a steel body for a filter-drier for 3000 psi air for my high-pressure air rifle; ...

How are you generating those high pressures?

I keep my shooting eye calibrated with airguns and have noticed that recently PCPs seem to be the wave of the future.  I'm not ready to pay over a grand for a compressor and, at 76, a bicycle pump isn't for me.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline bent

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
I use a 3-stage "bicycle pump", it's really not that hard (I'm 54, and in pretty poor shape having a chair-sitting job), I just take my time.  Agree the compressors are pretty spendy.  A lot of folks buy scuba tanks or smaller high pressure bottles, and visit either a dive shop or a local fire station to get them filled, then fill their air rifles from the bottles.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal