Author Topic: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine  (Read 74191 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine
« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2018, 04:43:16 PM »
Not sure Cletus, though I expect they were just scaled down from the full size engine. Even at twice this size though they would only have been .020" to .032" above the datum plane. Remember I am building to the plans partly to prove them out and find any mistakes. So far I have only found a few minor omissions rather than actual mistakes.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »
I guess it’s also possible that it has something to do with the scaling and alignment of the parts that attaches to them.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:55 PM »
Presumably so Cletus, though in most cases everything is sized to be attached to one reference plane. Not so in this case however. There could be some reason for it I am not aware of also.

Prof.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »
While I was thinking about it I ripped a piece of red oak I had into a couple of matching height rails. Still need to trim to length but these are what the engine will sit on.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2018, 12:35:29 AM »
Today's little bit of progress was to mill the other bearing cap casting down to size. I will spot face and drill the mounting holes this weekend on the Sherline which isn't a problem. The picture for today is the base with the bearing caps  and pump shown in place. I had ordered some 1/4" brass hex stock and will also be making some of the cap screws this weekend here at home too. That's about it for today's report.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2018, 12:54:49 AM »
You are continuing to make good progress Bill, the base is coming along nicely.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:56 AM »
Thanks Dave, just need tapping, some cleaning up and the crankshaft bearing holes drilled/bored. Next week I hope to get the pedestal done but again will need the larger machines at work.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »
Haven't commented much, but I've been following along with your progress, Bill.

Aren't you going to miss having access to the bigger machines after you retire?  :Lol:

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:22 AM »
Thanks Kim,  Actually I have a full size Alliant mill and a larger lathe at my old shop from before I took this job. Both are in working order, I just need to get in there and clean things up a bit. I had hoped eventually to move both to my home but since they are only about 6 miles away and since I have 3 phase power there, I may just get the old "shed" all cleaned up again and keep using it as a remote facility. Quite likely SWMBO may want me out of the house some after retirement anyway :)

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
Thanks Kim,  Actually I have a full size Alliant mill and a larger lathe at my old shop from before I took this job. Both are in working order, I just need to get in there and clean things up a bit. I had hoped eventually to move both to my home but since they are only about 6 miles away and since I have 3 phase power there, I may just get the old "shed" all cleaned up again and keep using it as a remote facility. Quite likely SWMBO may want me out of the house some after retirement anyway :)

Bill

Coming along nicely Bill.

You better be careful about your "old shop". It might just become your "new shop" and you might find yourself with another job instead of retirement!  :Lol:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »

Bill
Wow! You've been holding back on us!  I thought you only had the Sherline equipment!  But it sounds like you are very well positioned for retirement - at least from the shop tool perspective!  :D
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
More like out of sight, out of mind for the past 10 years Kim. One way or another they will get used more once I do retire though.

As for today, though I am not ready to work on these yet, I did get the eccentric straps drilled and split in preparation for further work on them. I may get the split faces milled flat and joined this weekend if time permits.

Bill

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2018, 09:51:51 PM »
I've had people recommend filling (solder, lead) the pits in silicon bronze castings before final machining - to avoid chatter from the interrupted cut.  Wonder what your thoughts are on the matter, Bill?  We get a fair number of parts here at work in Si bronze, and we often fill the machined surfaces where we see visible pits, but we are concerned with wear on the surfaces.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
Bill looking good buddy I am still following you bud just being quiet.

:cheers:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2018, 12:15:07 AM »
Thanks for looking in Don. Bent, voids/ pitting etc. has really not been an issue so far. I did fill one on the crosshead but should be fine from a wear standpoint. The little void in the base will be eliminated when boring for the bearings. The castings have been very nice to machine overall.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal