Author Topic: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine  (Read 74188 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: A "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
Wow Bill! What a fantastic opportunity you have here! It must have been fun creating drawings for this, it's one cool little engine. I do hope you get his permission to post a couple sample drawings, I would love to see the assembly drawings.

:popcorn:
John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
This is great Bill!  I'll enjoy watching you go through this build and am already intrigued by the Little Pearl.
Pass the popcorn! :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:05 PM »
I really like the connecting rod assembly, this keeps the profile weight as low as possible which is ideal in a boat. Cannot wait for Bill to get some progress pictures posted.
Thomas

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 01:16:59 PM »
Well now that everyone is over "sticker shock" 8), I also can't wait to see this one underway. I doubt there will be any, but, I wonder how Bill will deal with an error in the drawings? Gonna be hard to b##ch at the one who drew them :lolb:. Swarf away, Professor

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
Eric, there will be some errors no doubt. Already found one minor one but corrected that one already. That is the point of matching the prints and castings for this build though :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 02:31:51 PM »
Just having a bit of fun Bill :stickpoke:. This is an experience many don't get a chance at: doing the drawings and then getting to proof them on the castings. Awesome

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
I know bud...poke away :)  Just hope I can do it justice. Also sent you a PM re: that cat you are keeping in the bag  :LittleDevil:

Bill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the castings compare with the barstock one you had based your drawings on, may need the odd tweak to allow for slight differences in pattern, shrinkage and machining allowances. There is also the fact you tend to leave things off the drawing that you know yourself but may not be obviopus to others.

On the engines like the Jowitt and CHUKY where I have shared the drawings I try to work from my drawing and keep a red pen to mark them up with any changes, additional dimensions or notes that need to go on.

Did you use a 3D program that allows you to assemble the parts and then look for clashes before running off the 2D working drawings?

J

Cat! whats this about a cat?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »
Cat! whats this about a cat?

Who needs a cat when you have an Elephant?  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
Jason, the drawings were done directly in 2D. While I agree it isn't quite the same as a 3D model for checking interferences, etc. , you can still do a lot of checking even with 2D drawings. I just prefer doing direct 2D drawings rather than letting the 3D model generate them. Some additional work may be done however with Solidworks as time permits.

I do exactly the same though regarding omissions/revisions/added notes....a red pen notation on the drawing(s) which can then be changed in the original drawing file.

Bill

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
Another WOW ! Very interesting story. Should be a great tutorial on how to machine castings. Will follow with interest.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 07:26:56 PM »
Thanks for looking in Larry, hopefully it will be ready in plenty of time for the Greenville show.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 02:21:39 AM »
No swarf yet. Too busy these last two days orienting the latest crop of new engineering students for Fall. I did order two needed pieces of bearing bronze though tonight (the 20% discount helped). They are still right proud of it even so. Should be here first of next week. Real work begins this weekend.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:15 AM »
Now we have some swarf...this afternoon I got a start on the offset link for the valve linkage. I first milled the sides to get the width down to the .500" required, then the same for the ends to get the overall length established (photo 1). With that done I milled off the bottom (photo 2) and then the top to bring the overall height to spec. Having established the four square edges I could find the center of the casting and step off both directions to drill and ream the two holes for the drill rod pins (photo 3).  The final photo is where I am now, the ends and raised spigots still need to be rounded and a bit of material needs to be removed in the area between the spigots. Should get that done in the morning and the drill rod pins cut to length and fitted.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
Off to a great start, got the popcorn made for the rest of the show....

:popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal