Author Topic: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine  (Read 74185 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine
« Reply #240 on: October 09, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »
Thanks Bob. Looks a bit better than just the chunky rectangle casting for sure. Hope no one thought I was leaving it that way  ;D

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2017, 10:21:43 PM »
Thanks Bob. Looks a bit better than just the chunky rectangle casting for sure. Hope no one thought I was leaving it that way  ;D

Bill
I thought you would carve in a picture of your lead shop-elf on the side!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
Um....carving is your department Chris. If the lead elf don't straighten up and fly right, he nay find himself between the cylinder head and crosshead.....with the engine running  :lolb:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
Um....carving is your department Chris. If the lead elf don't straighten up and fly right, he nay find himself between the cylinder head and crosshead.....with the engine running  :lolb:

Bill

Ow!  Ow!  Ow!  Okay, slow Ow! the throttle Ow Ow Ow    :ROFL:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »
Some fine work going on here. Just checking in buddy I been busy with other things but back... :cheers:

:cheers:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
Yeah me too Don. Had our big annual old engine festival last weekend , but hopefully this weekend I will get back on it and make some progress. Thanks for looking in. Hope all is well with you.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »
This is the first weekend I have had in two weeks to try and get something done in the shop.  Got a good start on the pump housing just for a change of pace. This was a bit of a challenge on the Sherline but I made it work. The problem is that the half round bottom end doesn't clear the cross slide and in addition I had to keep moving the toolpost from the left side to the right side of the cross slide. I first took facing cuts on the bottom of the feet with the cross slide back behind the end of the casting (that tailstock extension was necessary for that). Photo 1 is after that was done and the cross slide is now under the casting again to face off the top side of the feet. Photo 2 shows the central body of the pump after turning it down to the required diameter and leaving a .500" dia. section at the top to be threaded for the packing nut. The threading went ok, but the cemented carbide thread cutting tool chipped before I got to the final depth so I will finish the threads with a die tomorrow at work. At this point I parted off the pump body (photo 3) and took it over to the mill to center it up for drilling and reaming the hope for the pump rod (photo 4). Photo 5 shows the current state of things with the pump rod inserted and the last photo shows how the pump will fit with the cylinder head and crosshead assembly. Still more work to do to finish it up but I may knock out the packing nut this afternoon before finishing up on the pump body.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
That certainly looks like it was a challenge, Bill.  But you seemed to have figured it out.  Looks great!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
Nicely done! Big parts on small machine are possible, just takes some figuring...   :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
Thanks guys. I got the packing nut knocked out this afternoon. Turned the OD and bored the ID for a 1/2"-20 thread and tapped it (photo 1). I had already drilled and reamed the through hole. Then turned it around and attached the 3 jaw to the hex adapter and over to the mill to mill the 3/8" hex on the top (photos 2 & 3). After a little polishing and chamfering the hex, the finished part is shown in photo 4.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #250 on: November 04, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
The pump housing still needed to be thinned down on the front and back sides and narrowed as well just below the cylindrical part. I got those tasks done today as shown in the four photos below. Left to do is narrowing the mounting feet, drilling the mounting holes in them and drilling and tapping for the water inlet and outlet connections. Between today and tomorrow the pump should be done!! I have tried to leave just a little "casting-ness" on the curved legs.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #251 on: November 04, 2017, 09:03:03 PM »
That looks great Bill!

Oring packing?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #252 on: November 04, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
Dave, it will likely be graphite or Teflon yarn packing. Likely I will have the pump just recirculating water for display purposes.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #253 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: (row of shop elves)

:popcornsmall:   (me)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #254 on: November 04, 2017, 11:33:43 PM »
Nice to see you getting some time in the shop Bill.  As Chris says:  :popcorn: (but just me, no shop elves)

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal