Author Topic: The "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine  (Read 74195 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: A "Little Pearl" Single Cylinder Marine Engine
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 01:53:30 AM »
So here are a few pictures of the castings, all of them bronze. Sorry I didn't have room at the moment to spread them out better. Um....most of these are not what I would call Sherline size but neither did I expect them to be.

Bill
Not typical Sherline size, but I think its been shown (by some guy here  ;) ) that parts that size CAN be done on a Sherline. If it works out that they will be selling castings in this size, I assume (hope!) that they will have plans scaled to this size too? Their castings for the big version are expensive, but their plan prices are reasonable.

Will be watching this one with great interest...

:popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 02:07:25 AM »
Chris, those are the plans that I have been working on all winter, specifically for the half scale version, though each part is still shown full size, for the most part one part per sheet. Making the engine from them and from the castings is kind of the final proof read of the plans. I am sure a few omissions may show up but hopefully not too many.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 02:08:14 AM »
Thanks Dave. Part of my reason for wanting to do a build log on this engine is to help determine if there might be any interest in this from other modelers. If so I hope Mr. Grosser may at some time add it back into the castings he offers. That and having one of the little gems for myself and contributing in some small way to that is my only motivation, I can assure you I have no financial interest in this whatsoever, it was just a unique opportunity and a project I have been interested in over some years now.

As for the drawings, as I had noted my agreement was that the company holds all the rights to the drawings so I could only do that with Roger's permission. He has been great to work with and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the relationship we have developed over these months. Thanks for looking in even at the very early stage of the project.

Bill

When those unique opportunity's surface it is nice that you have the talent and  desire to make a nice contribution to the hobby. I only wanted to see a sheet or two of your work; but I understand if it is not possible to post them here. I would think that if Roger is serious about marketing this little engine that he would be open to having some images of it and the drawings floating around on the net.  ;)

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 02:11:48 AM »
He may well be Dave, and as I said at the outset, I have invited his participations here. I don't think he would object to a sample or two but that is his call now as you can hopefully understand.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2017, 02:25:13 AM »
And once the hslf scale version is done, you need to work on the "Tiny" version that you can build all on the Cowells!!   :thinking:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 02:46:32 AM »
Yeah, a 1/4 scale version would be about right I think. There are still a good many parts that will see the Cowells though, packing nuts, even some of the smaller castings for links and such.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 03:14:26 AM »
Bill................this looks like the start of a great build thread. Thanks for all of the background info.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »
Nice set of castings Bill  8)

It looks like a few of the details have been lost from the full sized version  :thinking:

It will be a real crowd puller when it is done (I can feel the magnetic attraction it has even this side of the pond  :naughty: ).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:46 AM »
Look to be quite well cast.

I can understand not wanting to put all the drawings in the thread as that would tend to stop anyone buying plans which they sell separately for the big one and assume they will also sell the 1/2 size plans too. As you have already said the small one can be fabricated then that would also loose sales as people would just be building it from this thread.

Do you know if it will be offered with all materials and hardware like the large one ? Maybe an option of with or without would be good to keep shipping weight down for anyone outside the US. Maybe even omit the flywheel and bed plate as they could easily be done from locally sourced blocks as there are no detail cast features in them.

When does the swarf start to fly :)

J

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Pity about the writing obscuring the view

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQV3bwe3Pw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQV3bwe3Pw</a>

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »
Looks like the castings are also available in Iron.

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
Looks fascinating Bill. I'll be watching.

I also appreciated the background story. Makes it all the more interesting.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
Jo, that would seem to be an older ad but same engine and company. To my knowledge, the original Pearl single and Twin are now only supplied in bronze castings. The new Zenith though seems to have a CI cylinder casting with the remainder being bronze castings.

Jason, I have no idea if/when/or how the "Little Pearl" will be offered. I am just trying in a small way to help generate some interest in it again. Thanks for that video too, I hadn't seen that one before.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »
I did find another video and pic of a twin including the one Jo posted, seem to be a few on french steam boat sites but no way to tell if they are originals or have been made from these castings in more recent times.

"Pearl Launch Engine" seemed the best bet with google.

Little and Large in this pic but you can't see the small one very well, may even be less than 1/2 size?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
I have found a direct link to that animation  :naughty:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal