Author Topic: Making My First Gear  (Read 18243 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Making My First Gear
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
Great work Don,
I always enjoy making gears, when they come out right. Something so simple gives so much satisfaction.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 01:26:50 AM »
Its kind of like seeing your first engine running...all smiles. Congrats Don!!!

Bill
Your right Bill, it does feel like it. I had always thought that it was out of my ability to do.

Thanks Bez, I don't think they are the same I my be wrong, but someone will let us know.

Thanks Carl, I am glad you are getting some confidence from my accomplishment.

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 01:29:44 AM »
Great work Don,
I always enjoy making gears, when they come out right. Something so simple gives so much satisfaction.
gbritnell
Thanks George, it is simple once you understand how to do it and satisfying.

Don

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 01:42:51 AM »
Yes - well done Don, it was fun to share the journey with you.

I have some material copied from old Brown and Sharp books (I got on ebay) on cutting bevel gears with spur gear cutters. I imagine it's well out of copyright. If anyone wants it send me a message with your email and I'll send it onto you. If someone manages to make some then they can show the rest of us how it all goes  ;)

Steve

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2012, 02:22:19 AM »
Nicely done Don :cartwheel: Did you use the RT you made? The only gear I have made to date is the worm gear (and got lucky) for my attempt at your RT build
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »
Nicely done Don :cartwheel: Did you use the RT you made? The only gear I have made to date is the worm gear (and got lucky) for my attempt at your RT build
Pete
Thanks Pete,  I didn't make the RT it is store bought unlike the one you are building it also has a dividing plate.

Thanks also to you Steve I sent you a PM.

DON

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 04:37:18 AM »
Aren't they the same as spur gear tables but only applied to the outer edge of the bevel?

Bez

Sorry Bez,

To make a bevel gear on a mill you make a parallel depth bevel and the cutter must match the inner edge of the bevel tooth so that when you angle it left and right to cut the outer edges it still passes through the original cut on the tooth centre line without removing any metal. A minimum of three passes for each tooth using this method.

Hope that helps

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 05:16:30 AM »
Hi Bob

No need to apologies for educating me.  :help:

That makes a lot of sense - If it was the same as a spur gear on the outer edge, I'd have to find a way to make the cutter get narrower as it cuts towards the apex of the bevel.   :facepalm:

It looks like more reading is in order, before I will be able to ask any meaningful questions on the subject.

Cheers

Bez
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 06:09:34 AM »
Bez,

There's no such thing as a stupid question. I was not born knowing this stuff, somebody, in fact a lot of somebodies, taught me and helped me and there are many more things I don't understand, such as casting, than those I do understand.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Don, Nice work on the gear. :ThumbsUp:

Bob,
There is a gear cutter for bevel gears in the mill. It is a thin form of cutter so it will fit the small end. I do not think they are made any more but they show up on ebay all the time mostly in the larger pitches so not much use for model work.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
Thanks guys for the info much appreciated.

Don

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
There was a long and I thought useful bevel gear discussion back on HMEM when we were all there...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f26/bevel-gear-cutting-involute-cutters-9699/

[I hope John doesn't kick me out the door for referencing them.]
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
Marv,
Yeah that was a good thread.

The thin form of bevel gear cutters has a big disadvantage over the parallel depth method. Using the thin form requires each tooth to be filled on both sides of the tooth for smooth operation. This is because the pitch of a bevel gear changes from the big end to the small end of the gear.

The parallel depth method does not need to be filed for smooth running. They are designed from the small end so the cutter will fit the small end.

I finally found a reasonably priced set of gear gauges and now I realize why the pitch of bevel gears is for the big end. The gear gauge only works well on the big end.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
[I hope John doesn't kick me out the door for referencing them.]

I thought there were plenty other reasons. But you're still here. Which gives me hope for myself.  :ROFL:

If anyone kicks you out the door...a crowd will be coming along. (Need agreement on the definition of a crowd.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »
Marv I can't see why you would think that as a lot (another for Carl to ponder) of us enjoyed the site before it was sold from under us without as much of a 'Goodbye and thank you for all the fish'. Sorry I'll let it lie. back to topic. The admins on this site would know its not a move to get us to go back but an easier method than trying to get the whole thread moved here
Pete (who has probably overstepped his mark)
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal