Author Topic: Small Scroll Saw Build  (Read 10886 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Small Scroll Saw Build
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 01:50:01 AM »
On mine, I find that I rarely run it at its full speed, usually just fast enough to cut cleanly but allowing me to follow the curves. And the hold down foot is a must for small and thin parts. Some include a guide for the back of the blade to reduce flexing.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 01:52:04 AM »
Hi Chuck,  glad disconnecting the belt was a help.  I suspect there are diminishing returns on what you can achieve with the crank counterweight, as you are effectively adding a rotating force (the full 360 deg) which cannot completely balance either the primarily up and down motion of the frame, or the rotary oscillation caused by the pivot point. 

Probably is worth clamping a weight to the back of the frame, to see if getting static balance is enough.  The multi pivot design is obviously more nearly statically balanced so I expect you will achieve as much as they do, even though that is not perfect, as it does not balance the oscillating rotary motion.  If this works well enough, then figure out how to put the weight below the table, out of sight.  Or move the pivot to achieve balance without adding weight.  If still not enough, we will need to discuss how to completely balance that rotary oscillation.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 03:31:43 AM »
to add more weight to the crank, you could drill two or three large holes in the side of the counterweight, and fill them with lead, might be easier than carbide.
Iwas wondering if a counter rotating  balance shaft might do the job?
I'v been eying up an old Black & Decker drill attachment jigsaw with the idea of making a small,6" to 8" throat saw to take fretsaw / piercingsaw blades, but you saw looks a better design.
Ian S C

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
I'm calling it good-nuff.  I can run the saw at 50% speed and it cuts plenty fast with very little vibration.  No bogging down.  On the front of the enclosed video are a few still pictures of the finished saw along with a video of me cutting some 3/4" plywood.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cQm_xTMVg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cQm_xTMVg</a>

Now, let's see, what's next on the project list...

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Chuck, that's about as smooth and fast as anyone could care about! That's a goin' rig.

Congratulations!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 12:27:01 AM »
That looks great - cuts like that in 3/4" ply, couldn't ask for more from it. Nice!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 03:19:20 AM »
That is pretty slick Chuck!
I've enjoyed using my scroll saw, but it will be that much more satisfying using one you made yourself!  ;D
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 11:03:26 AM »
Great result Chuck, and very satisfying to use such a handy machine you have made yourself.

Next project?  Obviously something needing a good scroll saw!  Hmmm......

Congratulations on a successful project.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
That is nice and takes on that three-quarters plywood better than my cheap "bought" one.

I really enjoy your tool and machine builds.

Thanks for posting.

ShopShoe

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
What brand blades are you using Chuck? I found on the jig saw that the blades made a huge difference.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:39 AM »
Chuck, does it still have enough power when it is slowed down enough to cut metal such as brass or aluminium, maybe 1/8" thick?
Ian S C

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2017, 04:32:21 AM »
What brand blades are you using Chuck? I found on the jig saw that the blades made a huge difference.

I have some Olsen blades which cut pretty aggressively but don't leave a very smooth finish.  The one I'm using in the video is a no-name blade from Ebay.  I bought a large assortment of different blades pretty cheap, so I'm guessing the quality isn't great.

So many projects, so little time...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal