Author Topic: Help with Silver Solder choise  (Read 5181 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Help with Silver Solder choise
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:52:37 PM »
Hey everyone,
choice
I need some solid first hand advise on silver solder. I know there are past threads about this topic but the threads seem to get way off the main question. I would appreciate advise from someone that is using a product that they have experience with.

Here is my question and the information that I am looking for:

First thing is the solder does not have to withstand temperature beyond 500 degrees “f” in service
To be used on both steel and brass, but not necessarily to bond the two metals together
Item by brand name and product code
Style: rod, roll wire
With or without flux coating
Size of rod or wire

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Help with Silver Solder choise
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:09:33 PM »
I have used several brands, this is what I currently have:

Silver solder, 56%, cadmium free (that is a must for home use!), .031 diameter wire, uncoated:
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/braze-alloy-56-silver-031-diameter-wire/
The silver solder is usually sold by the ounce, though 1 ounce is like 20 feet as I recall. I like the wire rather than the thicker rod, easy to bend around a small tube or fitting.

For flux, I have used the Harris Stay-Silv white flux with fine results, though more recently I have gone to using the Tenacity-5 flux, though that brand is hard to find here in the states, got mine online through an Ebay seller. The Harris is great too, easy to find here.

I use a Sievert torch, have several tips for it for different size work, connect it with their regulator to a 20 pound grill tank of propane - easy to get, nice and cheap.

This type of solder is fine for use on brass, copper, steel, stainless steel, melting point is well above the 500F you need.

Hope that helps!
Chris

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this good information. I have used Harris in the past and can get it locally. What Sievert torch model number do you have. I googled and got a page full of different models.

Thanks again,
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this good information. I have used Harris in the past and can get it locally. What Sievert torch model number do you have. I googled and got a page full of different models.

Thanks again,
I have the Pro88 handle, with an assortment of the nozzles. I like that it has a separate adjustment for the pilot level flame, lever takes it to full burn. Does not make a difference on the smallest nozzles, but big difference on the bigger ones. You have to watch out for some of the kits, the ones aimed at roofers come with a tip that is not interchangeable. There are a couple of distributors in the US that carry them, think I got mine here:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=16965
Here is the full listing of thier parts:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchResult.aspx?Manufacturer=39
I got the Sievert regulator and hose too - you need it to connect to a grill tank.

Here is the Sievert catalogs, which list all the options and what accessory goes with what handle - not all are interchangeable.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/Sievert-Burner-Information.pdf
http://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/Sievert-Global-Catalog.pdf

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks again,
I have the Pro88 handle, with an assortment of the nozzles. I like that it has a separate adjustment for the pilot level flame, lever takes it to full burn. Does not make a difference on the smallest nozzles, but big difference on the bigger ones. You have to watch out for some of the kits, the ones aimed at roofers come with a tip that is not interchangeable. There are a couple of distributors in the US that carry them, think I got mine here:
I got the Sievert regulator and hose too - you need it to connect to a grill tank.

Here is the Sievert catalogs, which list all the options and what accessory goes with what handle - not all are interchangeable.

Looked at their website and the Pro 86 single valve. I will not be using a large flame so this might be better for me. Which nozzle would be best for the Silver Solder?

Thanks again,
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:26:03 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks again,

Looked at their website and the Pro 86 single valve. I will not be using a large flame so this might be better for me. Which nozzle would be best for the Silver Solder?

Thanks again,
The 86 should be fine. The nozzle size depends on how big a part you are soldering. For small fittings, tubing, the smaller ones are best. As the mass of the part goes up, you need to put in more heat to get the part hot quickly, and overcome the radiator effects that cool it down. For a copper boiler, the larger end of the nozzle scale is needed. For my Shay boiler, at 20ish pounds, it needed the big one. For the firetube on the Lombard I am doing now, a nozzle number 2944p was good. For the boiler endcaps, will use a larger one. Sometimes I start with one size, and switch after a few minutes if it is too large or small. Still learning to select one myself.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »
Chris thanks for all the help. I will spend a bit more time on their web site and read the specs on some of the nozzles.

Lots of good help and I appreciate your time and help.
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
Chris thanks for all the help. I will spend a bit more time on their web site and read the specs on some of the nozzles.

Lots of good help and I appreciate your time and help.
Glad to help. Others did same for me a few years ago when I had the same questions.

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:10:14 AM »
I have purchased all my Sievert equipment from Sievert Industries, inc located :

Address: 5255 Zenith Pkwy # 1, Loves Park, IL 61111
Phone: (815) 639-1319
  Might want to check out prices from them directly.  Also good source of information.

Bob

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »
I have purchased all my Sievert equipment from Sievert Industries, inc located :

Might want to check out prices from them directly.  Also good source of information.

Bob

Thanks Bob for this information. I will check them out.
Thomas

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »

Bob

Hello again Bob,

This is a follow up and a thank you again for all the help.

I ordered and received a Pro - 86 kit, it has the handle, hose, safety valve and a model 3524 torch. I made a test run with it and the torch is too big for some of my work, so I ordered a Tube (3501) and a Torch (8842). The torch is supposed to be a Pin-point flame and the folks at Sievert told me it would do what I needed after I explained my requirements.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge and time, :cheers:
Thomas

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »
This is a notice to all members from my experience. Do not purchase any Sievert items directly from Europe, it does not interchange with items sold here in the US no matter what they say. Found this out (of course) the hard way and now having to pay (additional $86.00) for a US pressure regulator to work with my rig.  :facepalm: :facepalm2:

Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
This is a notice to all members from my experience. Do not purchase any Sievert items directly from Europe, it does not interchange with items sold here in the US no matter what they say. Found this out (of course) the hard way and now having to pay (additional $86.00) for a US pressure regulator to work with my rig.  :facepalm: :facepalm2:
Which part was it that did not interchange?

I bought most of mine here in the US, but did pick up some more nozzle tips from Europe and had no problem. Was it just the regulator to tank threads? I could see that would be different, if the laws about the tanks themselves are different?
Maybe you can offload the first regulator on Ebay to someone in Europe, at least get some money back.

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
Hi crueby,

Long story...the complete unit that I purchased came with a 3524 Torch, Pro 86 Handle, hose and safety valve from the UK.

I then ordered a 3501 Neck Tube and 8842 Pin-point Burner from Sievert here in the US. The Burner will not stay lit and I talked with their tech department. They told me that I needed to omit the safety valve and install a fix pressure regulator (27 pound set pressure), that is $86.52. But they said they were not sure if my hose (that came with the unit) would fit their regulator. They suggested to buy the regulator and if it did not fit my hose, then call back and order another hose.....however not sure if the replacement hose will fit the Pro 86 handle????

Thing is, I was told when I placed the original order that the "complete unit" would fit standard US equipment.

OH well.

What I plan to do is if their regulator fitting does not fit my hose, I will cut the end off and have a new female end installed here locally.

Hope this information will help others.
Thomas

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just a follow up and not a complaint to hopefully save someone from ordering the incompatible part. I did receive the regulator yesterday and sure enough, my hose fitting would not fit. I went into town to the welding supply store and the cut the wrong fitting off and installed the correct one. Hope this information will help.
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal