Author Topic: A Manson Hot Air Engine  (Read 4159 times)

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
A Manson Hot Air Engine
« on: June 13, 2017, 12:38:42 AM »
This is my latest build, not original but backwards engineered from videos of a design by Rene Schaffer. I found it to be an interesting engine so I gave it a shot. I managed to build something that ran, but not as good as the ones in the videos I have seen, but I'll take it. The engine has a sleeve like valve that opens to atmosphere at the point where the displacer is closest to the flame and when it is as far from the flame as it gets. I'm watching it run, and I still don't believe it. It makes an interesting sound and will run in both directions. Hmmm.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5V1AF-mHY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5V1AF-mHY</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: A Manson Hot Air Engine
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:50:47 AM »
Looks like it's running very well to me....very nicely done!!

Bill
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:49:25 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
That's very cool!  I'm not sure I understand the "cycle" on this with the porting.  Love to see more detail on these!
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
Thanks Bill. jschoenly, glad you think it is cool, I do too, If you hold your finger very lightly over the vent in the crankcase you can feel it sucking and blowing, very faintly, this is because the cylinder is equalizing pressure due to the valve, I think. Here is a link that might help you understand.
 http://manson-ericsson-hae.blogspot.com/p/ma.html

I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in, oh well, what floats my boat, might not float others

John
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:50:08 PM by awJCKDup »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
John, I am a  bit surprised as well, as we have numerous Stirling enthusiasts here on the forum. I did a little looking around today myself and there is information out there. I have put it on the build list, may not be at the top right now but definitely one to do. Thanks again for sharing it and the video of your engine.

Bill

Online Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
A nice engine and a fine video + thank you very much for the link to the explanation  :ThumbsUp:

Best wishes

Per

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »
It's a really interesting engine John, and it runs like a top. I've heard of the Manson engines, but never really followed up on the details. The little animation you linked to explains it pretty clearly.

--Tim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »
That looks and runs great!

It looks like such a simple design...yet it has a complexity to it. Very nice balance.

Thanks for showing.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Hi,
very nice built, and a fine engine, congratulations.

A point against the Manson engine as compared to the Stirling is that he releases hot air under pressure in a phase of its cycle, and does not use the complete detent of warmed air...
The theory of the manson engine (and of many other hot air engines) is fully exposed in the website of Pierre Gras
http://www.moteurairchaud.com/manson/theorie.php

here is a description for building a Manson engine by Manson himself...

Offline Humphreymachineworks

• Machinist, fine artist, classical musician, etc.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »
Hello, this is my first time posting on this fourm. I joined to learn more about the Manson engine as I am a studying machinist, and building my first model engine, the Manson. Wonderful engine you built by the way! My design is a bit different but I'm sure the questions will still apply. In the original description from Mr. Manson it describes a pipe running from the far end of the displacer piston to one of the ports on the working piston. I see a lot of designs that don't seem to use a hole in the end of the displacer piston; rather there is just a hole that leaks air from inside the displacer piston to the working piston to prevent a build up of pressure. Is this pipe necessary after all? I think I am missing something and am desperately trying understand in order to finish my design drawings. Any help would be more than appreciated. If what I typed doesn't make sense please ask me to clarify. Thank You! Jesse

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:33:59 PM »
Hi Jesse and welcome to the forum. I hope someone can address your question here and give you a good answer. In the mean time, please take the time to post an introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" section so that we will know more about your interests, tools, and welcome you properly to the forum.

Bill

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Neat design John....kind of reminds me of the Caley (sp) or Roper designs but does all the valving via the piston. Now that you've peaked my interest, how's about some build photos? What kind of clearances for the valve piston and liner? Paul

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:23 PM »
looks like an interesting design, may have to attempt one myself.

got any further details?
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal