Author Topic: New machines...now what?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
New machines...now what?
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:57:17 PM »
I'm hoping some newbies find this useful. Certainly I, still a newbie - at least in the sense of minimal experience, will find it useful.

I've recently acquired a new mill and soon a new lathe. How to prep?

My intention is to use kerosene to clean off the grease/oil/muck that comes with every new machine.
But then I need to apply something to protect the machine and its finishes as I tram, calibrate, adjust, etc.
What do you suggest? Specific brands/types is more helpful than 'light machine oil" or such.
(I'm in the United States.)

The mill came with a vise and this raises another question for me. I've seen posts where people put oiled paper under the vise.
What are the advantages? What kind of paper and oil?

Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bobsmodels

Re: New machines...now what?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 12:16:22 AM »
Zee

I use hydraulic oil aw68  and aw32  to wipe down a machine.   I do not want puddles just a nice wipe. Ways get wiped down with vactra  2. You might want to try WD 40 to clean the machines it is a pretty good solvent.  Wear gloves ie nitrile  or whatever. 

I tried the paper thing, just a sheet of writing paper, the oil as above awxx.  Not sure what it accomplished, I did it for over 25 years.  When I moved the shop to my new digs in 2005 I just stopped doing it.  I have seen no difference.  Tool comes off and on just fine, actually easier.  Clean bottom of tool, clean table and then slide the tool onto the table.  Actually easier without the paper.   Maybe someone can provide the why on this for us.

Good luck on cleaning

Bob

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:45:01 AM »
Zee, way back when we bought the Jet Mills and lathes for the school machine shop, I also bought a gallon of WD-40 and a spray bottle...more economical this way for multiple machines. Dowsed the gooped up places liberally and then wiped it all down with cotton shop rags and just threw them away once saturated.

I have never used oiled paper between the vise and mill table. A periodic removal and cleaning of the vise bottom and mill table followed by a wipe of oil....even straight 30 weight will do...and never had any issues. If you use coolant this needs to be done more often of course.

Bill

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:56:27 AM »
I have been working in machine shops since I was 16.  As a matter of fact I was in charge of setting up all the new machines as they came in.  And when I say in charge of setting them up, I mean cleaning all the goop off and getting them ready for people who knew what they were doing to work on them without getting their hands dirty!
I have been using WD-40 since the mid 70's for cleaning and rust prevention.  I have never put anything under a vice on a mill except giving the table a quick spray with WD-40 and a quick wipe with a rag.

John

ps.  No association with WD-40, just a user.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:44:03 AM »
WD40 is a great car deodorizer as well.
Instead of kerosene I would use Varsol/paint thinners, or WD40

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:37:09 AM »
Hi Zee,
 My new mill recommended WD 40 to get the goop off....work a treat. The other tip I read somewhere was to use old business cards as scrapers ....favorite would be real estate & or insurance sales persons  :lolb: oh & you will need throw away gloves.....don't let your good lady catch you coming into the house with even ONE spot of grease on you!

As to what's next after your new machine....well more new machines of course!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 07:03:08 AM »
As to what's next after your new machine....well more new machines of course!

Cheers Kerrin

Castings  :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
Thanks all. Very helpful.

T had me buy her a can of WD-40 so she could clean the stainless steel fridge. hee hee hee.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 03:23:50 PM »
Isn't WD40 mostly kerosene anyway?  I buy the deodorized kerosene used for heating in bulk at the local marina and use it for cleaning as well as a lubricant when machining aluminum.  Not surprisingly, it works well in the two kerosene lanterns I keep in reserve in case of an extended power outage.  The lanterns on the patio table at night seem to keep the mosquitoes away although most years it's so dry that there aren't any mosquitoes.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 04:04:21 PM »
Zee

Just a follow-up, buy the WD 40 by the gal and get a spray bottle or one of the WD 40 ones.  A lot more economical.  I also use it for a cutting fluid - works nice on Al, even on some steels.  Experiment with it.

Bob

Online sco

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 08:45:40 PM »
All the gun types will tell you that when WD40 dries out it becomes hygroscopic - i.e. it attracts water!  So use it for clean up but then apply a proper oil for protection if you live in a humid environment.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »
+1 on what Simon said and never use it as lubricant on anything but aluminum as a cutting lubricant. Tell T that baby oil works a treat on the stainless an no smell.

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
Just a follow-up, buy the WD 40 by the gal and get a spray bottle or one of the WD 40 ones.  A lot more economical.  I also use it for a cutting fluid - works nice on Al, even on some steels.

I do use quite a bit. Good idea.

Tell T that baby oil works a treat on the stainless an no smell.

Yet another use for baby oil. I'll let her know.  ;D

Thanks all.
"To work. To work."

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
Just use Avon "Skin So Soft" to clean the gunk from the machines, and then use it on your hands and body to repel mosquitos and generally perform miracles. The following link lists 100 uses - including "Mechanic's Hands". :)

http://www.beautyrepforyou.com/100-uses-for-skin-so-soft.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal