Author Topic: My new gauge 1 live steam loco with Joy's valve gear  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
My new gauge 1 live steam loco with Joy's valve gear
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:51:08 AM »

This is my new live steam 1 gauger just completed and being tested on my roller test bench.
She have the general outlines of a GER - LNER tank engine of the beginning of the XXth century, namely a 0-6-2T locomotive, but with round topped boiler. I have made it at 1/32 scale for 45 mm track, based on a model by “LBSC”, “8:35 to the City”, found in a reprint from “Workshop Masters “, a short lived (alas) series of reprints of old British model engineering papers.

I did large changes in her “innards “,  as I fit 2 cylinders and slide valves with Joy's radial valve gear inside the frame, and the boiler being internally fired.
It took me a while to draw the valve gear, even with the great help of the Charlie Dockstader valve gear programs !

It’s a pity that most of it is hidden at the end, but it works well and is more protected in case of accident than the more common Walschaert’s valve gear.  In addition, I’m not aware of another loco fitted with Joy’s VG in gauge 1, a première I believe !

I also added a tiny axle driven water pump to feed the boiler from the side water tanks, to allow longer runs.
You may consider on the video that the driving requires dwarfed fingers, yes, I have to change a few thing to make notching up or down easier !
I did not realized before the film that my roller bench is so noisy, sorry !

some pictures on the built on my google album
https://goo.gl/photos/dY6fYHntSb5wJUUP9
and on a forum (in french) where I post quite often.
http://www.bloooo.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5485

the first steam test, I'm anxious to test her on the track at the club in a few weeks...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTxQ9B17POc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTxQ9B17POc</a>

Offline mikemill

Re: My new gauge 1 live steam loco with Joy's valve gear
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:38:16 AM »
Zephyrin

What a lovely tank engine it certainly performs well, you must have derived great pleasure from scratch building the loco rather than spending £2-3k on a commercial one.
I build G1 electric locos as I find live steam in G1 to messy

Mike

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »
That's a lovely model, Zephyrin, obviously runs superbly, and it is a very nice looking prototype as well.  Like that very much!  Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »
Beautiful, you must really be proud of that!! Well done  :praise2:

Bill

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
Love it!    I can hardly visualise how my fingers would cope with all that valve gear inside the frames, let alone the backhead fittings :noidea:
A wonderful loco to be proud of ..........Terry

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 08:09:27 AM »
Hi,
thanks for all these kind appreciations...
I wouldn't say I'm proud, but just immensely happy to get her running as expected, and relieved too, whew !
I think that with these models I have too long sessions in the workshop without using the lathe or mill that seem never to end...
now, turning lathe handwheel and fitting engine parts are definitely my favorite.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »
Hi,
This is my loco 031T finished and running on the track of my club at a the last live steam train meeting.
She is clearly unhappy at moderate speed without a load, and fortunately a member at my club has lent to me a train of heavy wagons, that she pulled easily, the reversing gear notched at about 50% cut-off, the regulator fully open, with 2 bar at the pressure gauge...
I stopped it after 30 minutes, the side water tanks being almost empty, and the boiler was still at 1/2 full, owing to the tiny axle pump.

You may imagine how much I'm delighted with all of this.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiigBA8RZgw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiigBA8RZgw</a>

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 12:49:34 AM »
Very nice video of it out on the "line"!  Is the club able to leave that track set up permanently or is it a modular set-up that can be put up and taken down as needed. Were you worried at all about the distance to the floor. I would be in mortal fear of a derailment!!  :paranoia:

Bill

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
No, it is not a permanent track ! We are allowed to use this gymnasium once in the month !

We have to install it (2 tracks, by the way !)  in the morning, about half an hour, and take apart in the evening, another 1/2 hour. Fortunately all the stuffs are parked in a small adjoining room. this is not a dramatic chore.
It not good for the track, at the junctions obviously, but it is a common way to proceed here amongst live steam buffs.

The distance to the floor, of course is a real threat, so we drive slowly...last year I have repaired an 3000$ Aster loco for a mate, with the smoke box awfully dented !
But it is much more comfortable than a floor level track for arthritis, may I add.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:45:43 AM by Zephyrin »

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
Enjoyed your video, there is plenty of power and liveliness in your fine model tank loco.  That huge track gives real scope for the models to stretch their legs!  Would be nice at some time, if you have the camera out, to see some details of some of the other locos that the club members have brought along.  Dave

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
Yes, I should have added the link to my live steam club EVC45
http://evc45.blogspot.fr/
lot of videos and pictures of locos, mainly beautiful and commercial ones, really tremendous and prestigious engines run there, difficult to compete with my scratch built locos !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal