Author Topic: Lang Bridge Double Diagonal Engine  (Read 9167 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Lang Bridge Double Diagonal Engine
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »

I built this model quite a few years back and thought it may be of interest.

It's a very near scale model of a full size engine in the Northern Mill Engine Society collection in the UK and was built from castings and drawings produced by 'Helix Engineering', a father and son team who had access to the original engine. The quality of the castings was truly superb and the drawings even better. Infact I would go so far as to say the drawings were just as good as drawings used on a daily basis at work. 

The main casting was a hefty lump and was held to a 'home made' angle plate (well works 'sponsored' - I had an extremely understanding and generous boss for such things) the only tricky bit being to ensure that the cylinder mounting areas were equally true to the centreline through the crankshaft.

The trunk guides were bored first and then held on an expanding mandrel to bring the base flange true to the bore. I find this method much easier than trying to position the bore true to a face

The con rods were machined from solid starting life as quite beefy square section blocks....

I keep this as a reminder :facepalm: I can't remember what is wrong with it but it was a scrapper fairly early on in the proceedings. The thing is, once realised, I turned to a spare bit of material and brought it to the same stage before retiring for a cup of tea. Came back and carried on to the stage you see before realising I had picked up the scrapper instead of the new part :ShakeHead:

The valve rod guides are fabricated and silver soldered. They were made with a solid base with the central guide aligned in a hole the curved parts cut from a ring. Once soldered the base and lower part of the guide were machined away

The exhaust is an annular cavity around the liner. The lagging was made from .006" steel shim and heat treated in the (kitchen) oven - can't remember the temperature but several test pieces were done before getting a satisfactory colour.

Once assembled the only fettling required to enable running was to open the diameter of the trunk guide slightly to give clearance to the conrods. It was essential to get the centrelines right to keep the angular movement equal. It doesn't look like it but the clearance is not much more than ten thou.

The stop valve was fabricated and treated with an engraver as described for the Waller engine. The full size engine had no governor but was coupled direct to a calico printing press, speed being controlled by the valve - dependant on the variety of print required I guess.

And finally the benefits of being at work now so sadly missed - but only at certain and very specific times you understand  ;)
- the gear wheel was the first 'homer' done on the new Mitsubishi wire eroder ;D

I had no idea of the colour of the original but decided on using the polyurathane paint used for the milling machine. It would be years later before I saw this ...
http://www.nmes.org/albums/main/diagonal1.jpg

It's been nice to be able to post something so soon but it will be a while before there's something else underway but it'll come soon enough I guess.

Hope that's of interest to someone

Regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Re: Lang Bridge Double Diagonal Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:18 PM »
Lovely work Ramon, my fabricated version of a similar engine is a bit more workaday!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:08:33 PM by tel »
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
Lovely engine.  I would really like to hear it run.  Any chance of a video?

Offline rhitee93

• West Central Indiana, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
Stunning Ramon, just stunning.  Thanks for sharing 
Your level of craftsmanship is a lofty goal I have set for myself.

:NotWorthy:
-Brian

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:40:28 PM »
That's a beauty! I second the request for a video :D

Simon

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »
Beautiful Ramon......You too Tel!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
Ramon your work always fascinates me. I my never reach 1/4 of your ability, but you always inspire me with you builts. I strive to be better every time I do something. Your engine is awesome and please give us a video.
I like your too Tel nice job.

Don

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
Another lovely engine Ramon.

The only problem is that all the way through reading it I was waiting for the line " and now I have just started the double size one" but it never appeared :(

J

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »
A very very nice engine Ramon  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I remember your build over on HMEN Tel another great engine  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I think I have a video of a full size one running at Manchester science museum, I'll see if i can look it out.

Stew

Her you go

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxKLyMJWoc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxKLyMJWoc</a>
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:49:23 AM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
 :NotWorthy: Very nice Ramon :NotWorthy:

The Victorians did like to paint their engines some very bright colours, didn't they.

I notice your engine has some very nice oilers ;). As I am still to make the oilers for my Double Tandem Compound oilers could I ask what you used for their sight glasses?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
'Avast there shipmates' (Now look what you've started Tel)

Thanks for the kind comments, glad you liked it. You might see yours as 'workaday' Tel but its full of ingenuity and there's one thing that never fails to impress me and that is the ingenuity of others - 'good on yer mate'  :ThumbsUp:.

I'll try to take a short video of it as soon as I can.  It'll be running at the Forncett ME day in a couple of weeks along with the Waller and if the weathers kind outside perhaps a couple of the IC motors. At last years event I was carrying the Lang Bridge up the stairs at the back of the museum in one of those collapsible crates holding it about waist high. Collapsible being the operative word as the bloody bottom fell out and the engine fell with a mighty crash.  :facepalm: Fortunately? this happened halfway up the stairs were there is a flat chequer plated area about 3 foot long and it stayed put. Visual damage was mainly to the base where the plate ribs dented the wood surround but it bent the crankshaft very slightly which luckilly was easily put right once home. Had it been on the stairs themselves it could have easilly fallen through to the concrete floor below - Phew. Strangely enough it ticks over much slower now than before

The sight glasses Jo are made from varying diameters of clear plastic tube. An excellent is (well used to be - I assume it's still so) the small protective tubes that are over the ends of artists paint brushes. Glass clear, most art shops usually have loads of these for the asking. The larger ones are from the enclosures that Pentel drafting pencil erasers come in. Again very clear and quite robust. Having tried with glass and the attendant problems of cutting I assure you this is sooo much easier and very practical. The 'glasses' are set into the brass with a small amount of thick cyano but you need to be sure it's the kind that doesn't fog - once that happens it's a bin job as it's near impossible to remove (the fogging). I use 'Pacer' 'Zap a Gap'. Spread a little out on a flat surface and just touch the end rim of the glass on to it then fit to the brass housing. I've found them to be quite oil resistant and tight. When cutting the tube I mount it on an ali mandrel - turned to just fit the inner diameter with a slight taper at the chuck end to act as a driver - and part it off using a very fine pointed tool (like a screw cutting tool only much more pointed) The resultant taper on the end is easily cared for by the cyano

Hope that's of use Jo.

A double size would be a hefty beast indeed Jason so it hadn't crossed my mind as yet - I shall just enjoy your E&A build while I think about a bigger Mary beam engine - I have the material now for the base and the flywheel but it's only in the dream about it stage at the mo ;)

and now, in keeping with being a buccaneer for the day Tel I shall slip me cable and make fair passage for the w'shop ;)

Regards for now - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
What a beauty Ramon!!  A video would be great when you get around to itbut until then I'll just imagine what a sweet runner it must be :)

Regards,
Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
Thanks Ramon,

The 'glasses' are set into the brass with a small amount of thick cyano but you need to be sure it's the kind that doesn't fog -

Fogging was the problem I had with the pen shank I tried last time for a sight glass. I like the idea of using the drafting pen eraser containers, I will have to check the stationary cupboard but knowing our lot they would prefer to give us a brand new pen/pencil than recycle old ones. :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »
Absolutely stunning model  :ThumbsUp:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
Seven years later and it's still beautiful...

:LittleAngel:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal