Author Topic: Radio Control Car Adventures  (Read 2807 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Radio Control Car Adventures
« on: June 05, 2017, 01:36:55 AM »
For years my son has been heavily into RC cars, mostly modding them.  I never paid much attention thinking they were just a money pit and not very interesting.  Well, I finally broke down and bought a modest 1/10 scale Redcat Rockslide rock crawler and now I'm hooked.  I'm now the proud owner of 4 vehicles, totaling something over a grand in cost and loving every minute of it.  Not running them much but having a lot of fun designing bodies, improved parts and and planning my own custom features.  I'm even selling some of my engines to help fund my new found interest.   Funny, I haven't felt this kind of enthusiasm for years.

Chuck

PS:  And, when you show them off to people, the first question out of their isn't, "What does it do?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 01:41:14 AM by cfellows »
So many projects, so little time...

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Radio Control Car Adventures
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:10:59 AM »
That is great that you found something that generates enthusiasm for you Chuck.  Have fun with it.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:50 AM »
......What does it do?"

wouldn't know anything about that Chuck......

:lolb:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:31:07 AM »
That's fantastic Chuck! Nothing like a new hobby to get the creative juices and thirst for knowledge flowing .  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »
That is great Chuck, and at least all your shop equipment can still be used to assist in the new found hobby as well. We will be needing pictures of course :)

Bill

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
... and videos.

Rudy

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
I am a big believer in the medicinal value of a good hobby. About 8 years ago I got good and sick.  In the hospital for months and years to recover and then things got worse.  Many major operations along with some radiation and so many MRI's I was hearing that God awe-full banging in my sleep for years.
During that time I got into radio controlled helicopters and I swear having that distraction helped tremendously in pulling me through.
I did get pretty good at flying the darned things, flips, rolls, flying upside down and even backwards.  I did try RC cars a few time and I could not get the hang of those darned things.  My 5 year old grandson would drive circles around me so I had to give up.
I am glad you found a fun distraction.  And I am sure you will find, like I did, that working on them was more than half the fun.

John   

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 12:59:40 AM »
And I am sure you will find, like I did, that working on them was more than half the fun.
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
and at least all your shop equipment can still be used to assist in the new found hobby as well. We will be needing pictures of course :)
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

fun = hobby = life

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »
I've always been my happiest when I have a project in front of me.  It seems to be the process.  Since moving from wood working to metal working, most of my finished projects sit on a shelf when done.  I rarely run any of my engines and even most of the tools I've made have seen little use.  There's just something very gratifying about getting interested in something and figuring out how to build it, make it better, or just add your own touch. 

I've watched a number of videos of guys who build RC vehicle bodies from scratch and the realism they obtain from simple plastic  sheet using nothing but dremel tools, craft knives, glue and sandpaper is just amazing.  This is one example that I was particularly impressed with:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISoNV-s3iHM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISoNV-s3iHM</a>

He also has a video which condenses 3 hours of videos of a 60 hour build down to 17 minutes.  His methods seem crude by many of our standards, but you sure can't tell from the results. 

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 07:44:22 PM »
Chuck,  that is a most realistic video!!  Yes the truck body looks fantastic but the camera angles and such make it even more so. I can certainly see the attraction to R/C off roading. Quite a different set of skills and chassis set-ups compared to what Dave and William are into though. Thanks for sharing that.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 03:08:13 AM »
That a great video Chuck. Realistic.........right down to the gearbox whine. Fun stuff!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 04:35:30 AM »
Chuck:

Great and realistic video. The best part is if you get stuck, you don't need a winch!

Hang in there, have fun, and keep us updated. My best to ya.

Sincerely,

Hugh
Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal