Author Topic: I can name this build in ( how many posts)  (Read 8748 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
I can name this build in ( how many posts)
« on: June 05, 2017, 01:30:39 AM »
Ok folks, I'm still slowly getting the RedWing in paint and reassembly. I just am having a bit of trouble putting my heart and soul into the process. So, I decided to start another build so as to be able to make chips whilst I plow thru the painting task. First of all, let me admit, this build is way above my skill level and pay grade, but, I kinda wanted it that way. It will make me make some tooling I've really been needing, it'll force me to work within tolerances of less than a.001", and it will expose me to many new operations to master. I'm going to use the "parts in a bucket" strategy and make as many parts as I feel comfortable with and make them to the drawings with < .001 tolerance and put them in the "bucket". If my skill and confidence levels should increase, hopefully, someday all the parts will be made. Now this is going to be slow going and that's the reason I thought we should at least have some fun with the thread. ALSO, I HAVE PRIVATELY DISCUSSED THIS WITH A COUPLE OF YOU GUYS, SO, DON'T SPOIL THE FUN  :lolb: :lolb:. . Here's your first clues: Starting with the first side of the crankshaft and the Warner carbide inserts did a great job on the 2" 1144SP?

Remember, don't cost nuttin to play  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: I can name this build in ( how many posts)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:35:47 AM »
Well, I was going to guess that it will be a steel toilet plunger, but you gave a hint of crankshaft, so maybe it is the world's largest Tiny oscillator?

:noidea:

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:07:38 AM »
Hoglett?

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 03:01:33 AM »
 :-X

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
No castings  :hellno: how you supposed to guess with no castings  ::)

16mm diameter crankshaft... 50mm sticky out endy bit... could have a 19mm throw, a bit tight.. not really long enough for a twin :noidea:

Could be another Hit and Miss engine  :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 07:28:08 AM »
Cletus,
 Got it!

A pattie squasher for the restaurant!.......way better than those flimsy plastic ones! :lolb:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
Crank for a single cylinder two stoke aero Engine.

Will you be running a second thread " How big will my scrap parts bucket need to be" :LittleDevil:

J

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:02:49 PM »
Good guesses guys and I mean really good. But, you know what they say: "close but no seegar " . Chris, trying to put my parts in the toilet right off the bat  :lolb: :lolb:. Kerrin, you did give me an idea though, thanks. Bob, good guess, keep trying. Jo, a little shy on the dimensions and Lou is about all I'm into fondling right now  :facepalm:. Jason, I doubt a bucket is going to hold the scrap on this one , more like a truck bed  :lolb:..  Good job Professor  :cheers:  So, here's your picture clues for today.

Y'all stay tuned and keep those guesses coming.
Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »
Got to be a mud boat engine so you can go catch some crawfish.... :lolb: Damn Dog so you going to keep us in suspense huh? Well there just an't enough of them there parts to make heads are tail of Dog. So how many them parts is it going to take?. You being a redneck I really have to think hard on that one. Come on Dog give us a hint man you got this old coonass stirred up man?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Oh, well, of course! Its very plain to see now.

:shrug:

:noidea:

:thinking:

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 11:41:52 PM »
Next guess: George's V-Twin or possibly his radial.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 12:57:17 AM »
I know if it were my build...it'd be called "The nth Dimension of the Wall of Learning".
Or "Into the Abyss".
Or simply..."That thing there."

Give it up Eric...what is it?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 05:00:51 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Congratulations goes out to Bob (AKA 90LXNotch) : let's give him a big round of applause. Bob, if you PM me your shipping address, I'll get your prize sent out to you (please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery) . I'm also going to include two blank Powerball lottery slips. Please fill them out and return  :lolb: :lolb:. Yep, it's George's V-twin. As stated in my opening post, way out of my league, but, gives me something to aspire to. The internals are within my reach and are an excellent exercise in producing usable parts from drawings and to spec. On the other hand, when it comes to the cases,  the awesome metal sculpting that George does on manual machines and with hand tools , well, that's where I'll fill the pickup bed with scrapped  parts. Luckily, a customer of mine has a source to a shop that does a lot of custom automotive aluminum  billet work and he's getting me some drops and cutoffs. Scrap to scrap :lolb:. Y'all visit when you can and at the least I'll try to keep you laughing  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
Oh boy, a new build to heckle... I mean watch!   :ROFL:

Where's the popcorn...

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »
Hi Eric, is this the engine you are all taking about ?
http://www.floridaame.org/GalleryPages/g1m0396.htm
Sorry that I do ask this question, but I do not know all the details about your IC model engine world on the other side of the pond.
Kind Regards
Achim

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 06:15:34 PM »
Achim, no apologies needed. Yeah that's it. As George said in that article, there are others and he wanted to do his version. Let me tell you, after seeing and hearing it, it's the closest to my Harley I've heard.

Cletus

Offline mnay

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Did he post the plans for that engine?  Neat design.
Mike

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 08:01:55 PM »
OK, so:
To finish the Snow engine first line on the to do list. ongoing
Pistons, cylinder, cylinder heads and valve train, for the Hoglet. next to do.
I fell in love with the 1906 Bruce Mac Beth engine of Doug Kelley, all plans are on my desk, ready to get adapted to an European Version.
A  German set of castiing for a single cylinder hit and miss engine are under my bench since 4 or 5 years.
A simple V8 with 100 ccm in  Fusion 360 CAD redrawn as a CAD learning project. ongoing and also something to build.
And now the pictures of this beautifull V-Twin engine !
You guys there, at the other side of the world are trying to make me crazy...............
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:33:40 PM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »
Looking forward to the build Eric.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 10:58:20 PM »
I've laid in more  :popcorn:

But...if (I mean when) I run out...it's on you to replenish.  ;D

P.S. There's only one kind I buy...and it's not that micro-wave-able stuff.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »
I've laid in more  :popcorn:

But...if (I mean when) I run out...it's on you to replenish.  ;D

P.S. There's only one kind I buy...and it's not that micro-wave-able stuff.

I buy the white popcorn, hull-less so the husks don't get stuck in my teeth, by the 5 pound bag. Just checked, got enough left for a while.

Build away!   :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 12:28:45 AM »
I am looking forward to the build too Eric. I know you are up to it, just take your time and go slow. Its a great looking engine too. And BTW, have we seen your Harley??

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 01:16:01 AM »
Looking forward to seeing some more chips being made in the Spring Bucket shop.
How's that pant job coming by the way?  :lolb:

The more projects I start the less I get finished, so at this time I'm not starting anything else until a couple of the important ones are completed.

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 01:26:21 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Congratulations goes out to Bob (AKA 90LXNotch) : let's give him a big round of applause. Bob, if you PM me your shipping address, I'll get your prize sent out to you (please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery) . I'm also going to include two blank Powerball lottery slips. Please fill them out and return  :lolb: :lolb:. Yep, it's George's V-twin. As stated in my opening post, way out of my league, but, gives me something to aspire to. The internals are within my reach and are an excellent exercise in producing usable parts from drawings and to spec. On the other hand, when it comes to the cases,  the awesome metal sculpting that George does on manual machines and with hand tools , well, that's where I'll fill the pickup bed with scrapped  parts. Luckily, a customer of mine has a source to a shop that does a lot of custom automotive aluminum  billet work and he's getting me some drops and cutoffs. Scrap to scrap :lolb:. Y'all visit when you can and at the least I'll try to keep you laughing  :cheers:

Cletus
      I was going to guess   SWARF   but the postage  would be rather a lot to Norwich (england) so i let somebody else guess !!

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »
Chris, you may want to see if it comes in 100# bags for this build. Otto, there's one in every crowd ain't it :lolb:. The painting is coming along painfully slow  :facepalm:. Professor, I am in not one bit of a hurry. I guess it's part of growing older, but, I try and not rush anything anymore, and I mean nothing  :mischief:.
Harley pics: maybe not; here you go:

Which one?

URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/tennesseewhiskey1/media/E563A856-D33A-4220-8465-CDB2A4CE39BF_zpsmjni73we.jpg.html][/URL]

Here's my favorite

Decided to just order a bar of aluminum what for cutting the cases from

Mike, George has the plans for sale and very reasonably priced. Fumopuc, at least we got something to keep us busy  :lolb:. Zee, I'm betting you finish a build before I finish this one  :stir: 8). Willie, whilst not guessing the exact engine, you are probably closer to the truth than the lot  :lolb: :lolb:. Y'all stay tuned

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Three Harleys eh?  Let's see now....one for you, one for Lou, and that red one must be DOG's.  You sure that's gonna be enough aluminum there Rev??   :lolb:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 01:35:10 AM »
Three Harleys eh?

I see at least four. You might argue that some are a picture...but then...what else am I looking at?  :lolb:

As for Eric's recent delivery of metal supply...I'd like to see the saw he's going to use on it.
"To work. To work."

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
Bill, one is for bar to bar, one is for long trips, and the red one was acquired due to a useless tragedy in Lou's family. And, that may not be enough  ali by the time I get the cases done. Zee, it's just like eating an elephant; one bite at a time :lolb:. Actually, that bar is headed to a plant just north of here. I was a pipe welder on the original construction of the plant. After that bar is prepped for the roll presses, it can be taken all the way down to aluminum foil. Now, does anybody know why there is one matte and one shiny side on foil? Maybe more actual build this weekend and yes Dave, I'll also be working on the paint job :cussing: :lolb:. Y'all come back now you hear.

Cletus

Offline Perry

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »
Chris, you may want to see if it comes in 100# bags for this build. Otto, there's one in every crowd ain't it :lolb:. The painting is coming along painfully slow  :facepalm:. Professor, I am in not one bit of a hurry. I guess it's part of growing older, but, I try and not rush anything anymore, and I mean nothing  :mischief:.
Harley pics: maybe not; here you go:

Which one?

URL=http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/tennesseewhiskey1/media/E563A856-D33A-4220-8465-CDB2A4CE39BF_zpsmjni73we.jpg.html][/URL]

Here's my favorite

Mike, George has the plans for sale and very reasonably priced. Fumopuc, at least we got something to keep us busy  :lolb:. Zee, I'm betting you finish a build before I finish this one  :stir: 8). Willie, whilst not guessing the exact engine, you are probably closer to the truth than the lot  :lolb: :lolb:. Y'all stay tuned

Cletus

FLSTS  :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »
Something to do with heat transfer I am guessing. Like baking a caserole with foil over it,  the matte side out to absorb more heat and the shiny side in to reflect that heat back into the food??

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
The way I heard it on the aluminum foil, was that the shiny vs matte side just has to do with the rollers used to squish it out thin from the larger block, and that it does not matter which side is which when cooking. Though that could be wrong too...

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
The way I heard it on the aluminum foil, was that the shiny vs matte side just has to do with the rollers used to squish it out thin from the larger block, and that it does not matter which side is which when cooking. Though that could be wrong too...

The matt side is caused by the other side pressing against another piece of aluminium foil on the way through the roller (they squash two layers at the same time  ;) )

The shiny side can have a little lubricant left on it, but I am sure we all have swallowed kerosene residual every now and then  ::)

Jo
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:14:48 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »
When do we get to see more swarf Cletus??  :stickpoke: Maybe you need to move the BBQ pit closer to the shop :)

Prof.

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
Well guys, Jo gets the prize on this one. For some reason they can't press roll foil to it's final thickness, so, they squash two together resulting in one matte and one shiny side. It then goes on a biwinder and is put  on gigantic rolls and shipped to the facility for packaging. However, when we went into startup, Alcoa was experimenting with a lazer slitter, remember, this was 1982. One of their main conserns was the consumer still had one matte and one shiny side. The jury is still out on the actual cooking aspects of "in or out " She's also correct on the kerosene. All of the roll presses were lubricated with kerosene. I was one of three heavy wall qualified welders that welded the pressure piping to the presses and we were told it's not a matter of if you are going to have a fire, but, when. All of the literally miles of piping was in  submarine like tunnels under the presses. We were drilled regularly on ScottAir Pak maneuvers and air quality was monitored closely. Did y'all know if you hold a Bic type lighter, unlit, next to an O2 sensor, it sets off all kinds of alarms and all personnel have to be evacuated for the safety patrol to come in and check it out  :shrug: :mischief: :LittleDevil:. Ahhhhh youth. Since Zee and I are the only two that treat or threads like this, let me share a bit of me day. For once in God knows how long, I was overstaffed today and Lou said: "Go to your shop and watch the gate, I'm sending you something " Folks, she either loves me or is testing me; here's what she sent:

Two of the staff. They walk in and said: "Miss Betty said get this damn place cleaned up" Life is good today  :cheers:. See, this thread is like a Forrest Gump box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get  :lolb:. Wear your safety glasses  :ThumbsUp:

Cletus

Offline Walsheng

• Norfolk, MA
    • Walsh Engineering
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
If you are going to have shop gnomes, you could do a lot worse.
Showing my age I guess but I looked at the picture and thought "nice surface grinder!"

John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 12:30:23 AM »
Hope you gave them a good tip Cletus  :LittleDevil: And I agree with John...helluva nice grinder....and now clean too!!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »
You lucky dog!

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 02:40:15 AM »
Cletus,
Nice surface grinder? Oh yeah, nice surface grinder. I have to admit liking the springer as well. I can tell I'm gonna have to take some pictures of my bike. Gotta admit a Daytona Orange R90 S has a little flash value. :lolb:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »

Here's my favorite

Cletus

Who cares what you're building!  :mischief: What I want to know is how many rolls of tin foil is in that aluminum bar!  :shrug:  :lolb:

Nice bikes. I had an Ultra Classic myself.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
Thanks guys. Bill, I think you and I were posting at the same time, more serious swarf coming this weekend I hope and they were on the clock: tip enough  :mischief: John, I know what you mean; all I was thinking is that I won't have to clean the chip pans  :lols. It really is a pretty nice table top grinder. Art, though I am a tattooed, pierced, Harley head, as long as it has two wheels, I'm digging it. Otto, what does Bill say? Someday you're the bug and someday you're the windshield. Oh BTW Otto, had a nice red ale on tap to sip whilst they cleaned  8). Jim, there ain't no telling how many potatoes you could wrap with the foil from that sucker.  :lolb: The old springer and I have seen a lot together: I'm glad it can't talk and I ain't telling  :mischief: :mischief:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal