Author Topic: Magnetic tool lamp from Clickspring  (Read 4176 times)

Offline kvom

Magnetic tool lamp from Clickspring
« on: June 04, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »
I recently came across this youtube video about a moveable/flexible LED light for illuminating a machine workarea.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JkUO8AHOQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JkUO8AHOQ</a>

Today I went downtown Atlanta to Ikea and bought a couple of the Jansjo lamps for $9.99 each, and ordered two magnetic bases from McMaster that should ship tomorrow.  Seems like a quick project.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Magnetic tool lamp from Clickspring
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
Thanks for this information, just placed an order online.
Thomas

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
I've built several by removing the weighted base and machining interface pieces to attach them to magnetic bases I had on hand.  Are you aware that they also sell a model that comes attached to a large spring clamp - think giant clothespin?  Those are handy for attaching to tools that don't have a ferrous surface handy.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 01:45:37 AM »
I saw all the possible versions at Ikea today.  My  main goal is to use the magnet base on my CNC mill, whose OEM halogen bit the dust some months ago.  The other may find a home on the rear of the lathe near the headstock.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
I'm so used to using high temperature or daylight type bulbs that going to a warmer color as they describe this particular light might be hard to work with. One of my fluorescents burned out last week and the only thing I had to replace it was an incandescent. It looked like everything was being lit by a strong candle light. I do like the flexible arm feature so maybe I'll try one just to see.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
Kirk, I have had a couple of them for several years now and love them with one exception. I find that the on/off/switch is very poor and frequently the lamp will only come on at half brightness or cycle between full brightness and something less rather randomly. From the video, it looks as if they may have changed both the switch and the plug in adapter since I purchased mine. Maybe I need to stop by Ikea again and see what the current ones look like. Fortunately there is one only a couple of miles from where I work and its an easy stop on my way home. Other than that I love them. I need one for the Cowell's lathe anyway and if they have improved the switch, its about a cheap to just buy new ones as it is to replace the switched in the ones I have.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
Switch is a rocker located about 8" from the base of the lamp.  It would not require much work to cut out the switch and plug the lamp into a switched outlet if that works better.

Power wall wart is marked output 7V-.43A 3W

If you have an Ikea nearby you can try one and return it if you don't like the light temperature.

Note that if you like bling, they have almost identical models with shiny metallic finish for 12.99.  The 9.99 version comes in black or white.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
Mind if I ask which mag base you went with? I see McMaster has one that is only 1 3/16" square with 38 lbs of pull which should be fine for this application. They are pretty dear however!!

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
Bill,

These...

https://www.harborfreight.com/66mm-round-magnet-96650.html

are strong like bull and only $5.

I use both sizes of this type in the shop and they work very well.  Having a convenient hole to attach the interface block to the lamp is a bonus - no gluing magnets to stuff.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline kvom

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
I ordered this:  https://www.mcmaster.com/#1878A22  $16 ea.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
Thanks Kirk and Marv.  Luckily I have a Harbor Freight not far away also.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:24:37 PM »
I got my magnetic bases yesterday, so today was time to machine the brackets.  I did both pieces from a single piece of 1/2" thick aluminum on the CNC mill.  for the mounting holes for the lamp, I drilled two holes with a #2 drill .630" apart for a good fit.  The bases have a 8x1.25 metric thread and I drilled that clearance hole with a Q drill.  Your base may be different.

Mounted on the mill:

And lathe:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 11:36:31 PM »
Very nice Kirk. A nice little project with immediate benefits!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal