Author Topic: AMERICAN WATCHMAKERS & TOOL CO. LATHE  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
AMERICAN WATCHMAKERS & TOOL CO. LATHE
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:32:43 PM »
My friend Jim is having trouble seeing and wanted to sell his lathe, so I purchased it from him. I did some modifications to it. The motor really wasn't big enough and the foot pedal was an old variable resistor foot pedal control. I had a Dayton motor for another project, so I used it to drive the lathe. The foot pedal no longer worked for the new motor since it drew more current. So a friend of mind had a DC drive he was going to throw away and I took it and repaired it. This is what I used to control the speed of the lathe with. It worked very well and I clean it up a bit. below are the photos of the lathe and my Modification.
I also managed to acquire some collets for it also.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: AMERICAN WATCHMAKERS & TOOL CO. LATHE
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:37:23 PM »
That's Sweeeeet Don.....I love lathes!

:Lol:

Nice!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:22:02 AM »
I would love a little lathe like that but alas I have no friends.....only the internet :LittleDevil:
A nice score and I'm sure it will be enjoyed for a long time
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
My friend Jim is having trouble seeing and wanted to sell his lathe, so I purchased it from him. I did some modifications to it. The motor really wasn't big enough and the foot pedal was an old variable resistor foot pedal control. I had a Dayton motor for another project, so I used it to drive the lathe. The foot pedal no longer worked for the new motor since it drew more current. So a friend of mind had a DC drive he was going to throw away and I took it and repaired it. This is what I used to control the speed of the lathe with. It worked very well and I clean it up a bit. below are the photos of the lathe and my Modification.
I also managed to acquire some collets for it also.

Don

Whats the item in the lower right of the collet case......?  Looks like miniature die holder..

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
Dave I am not sure what it is, it is knurl on the front part and a tappered mouth and the two halfs come apart. Look at the photos I have attached.

Don

Offline ogaryd

• SW Florida
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
Hi Don & Steamer,

I believe that tool is a collet holder for the tail stock, Let me know .

Regards Gary,
"Effort equals Results"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »
Thanks Gary for your reply, but I tried inserting a collet into it. There is nothing to secure it and as you can see, it splits into two pieces. I can see how it would fit into a chuck or collet, maybe to hold something with.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
Could be a crown chuck......for turning the crown stem on a pocket watch....I think it's missing the collets........maybe...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
Dave the closes thing I can related this to is a stone setting chuck. Giving to same depth and angle to each setting claw with its taper. I will have to look at it a little closer to see if the setting can be secured inside.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal