Author Topic: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama  (Read 112705 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Re: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama
« Reply #645 on: January 08, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
Hello Everyone.
Something weird is happening to my email inbox. I am receiving hundreds of notices stating that I have had a response from members on the site.

Much earlier, I did indicate that letting me know if someone replied to my thread was acceptable, but I never got any responses.  I had to physically go on the site and look to see if there was a response.

Now a constant stream of emails of such responses are appearing. Has something been changed with the site?

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #646 on: January 08, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
Hello Everyone.
Something weird is happening to my email inbox. I am receiving hundreds of notices stating that I have had a response from members on the site.

Much earlier, I did indicate that letting me know if someone replied to my thread was acceptable, but I never got any responses.  I had to physically go on the site and look to see if there was a response.

Now a constant stream of emails of such responses are appearing. Has something been changed with the site?

John
Ade put up a notice earlier - he fond a problem with the email server, and after fixing saw that it was sending out thousands of PM notices tht should have gone out long ago. Once the flood is past, it should be good again.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #647 on: January 09, 2018, 12:33:12 AM »
Some of them nay go back quite a way too John. It should stop soon once things get caught up.

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #648 on: January 11, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
Chris,
What do you think of my new power source - me!
 :ROFL:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #649 on: January 11, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
Morning JL......if what I am thinking :headscratch:...is that you as a person would hand crank the engine to the correct take off point.....is an excellent idea

In a scenario of you demonstrating the starting  engine ...say to a group of students,...your commentary could be ..."that a scale person performed this task manually by using the winding mechanism to rotate the engine for the pre-starting position".... "a small notice plate could also display a simplified text as to the requirement of the pre-starting position"

It would add at touch of realism and intertwine scale and a human requirement .....

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Demonstration Possibilities
« Reply #650 on: January 11, 2018, 10:10:15 PM »
Hello Derek,

You have given me the perfect segue to express how I feel about manually cranking this engine. Goodness knows, a lot of time has been spent researching motors and controllers to give that slow, realistic look to this diorama. But being able to manipulate the engine by hand has so many teaching moments.

The teacher in me is seeing exactly what you have expressed. I can see holding the crank in front of students and saying something like:

" Now watch the engine's crank until it is at six o'clock. (I turn the crank and stop when the crank is exactly at the bottom).

"What do you notice about the beam?" Did you notice anything else happening?"

"Now let's continue until the crank is at twelve o'clock". (I continue to rotate the hand crank behind the diorama until the crank is at the top.)

"What do you notice now?"

"Notice what the eccentric is doing  as I slowly rotate the flywheel."

Derek, when this engine is videotaped, my videographer will be able to turn the camera on with the flywheel at dead stop, and slowly begin to move.

I still have the option of going to electricity down the road, but the sensory feedback of cranking the engine manually from behind is quite fun.

Thanks for your comment.

John

P.S. Now I have to find music to accompany this slow, majestic event as it develops. That will be the hard part.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:25:01 PM by J.L. »

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #651 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
JL...rotatory encoders, press button to pre-position, press button to steam  :killcomputer: & rotate and recorded messages :Director: are fine for fixed exhibits in Technical Museums

You could have a few different explanatory versions......one for 7 YO youngsters, one for technical students......the same one as offered to 7 YO's could be offered to seniors & pensioners like many of our  :old: members here  ...however I am sure there will be some that ask.....but why? :headscratch:

I certainly believe you are going down the best path with personal engine hand winding and spoken presentations to those viewing  :ThumbsUp:

Derek

PS....during our monthly Public Running days at Live Steamers, we often get small groups of people requesting access to our steaming bay areas where our members will provide detailed example and explanation of adding water to the tender, setting the fire in the boiler....thru to raising steam and entering the track system ...........essentially no different to what you are considering

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:54:27 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #652 on: January 12, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
Thanks Derek,

The diorama is in its closing phase now. Here are some shots from the boiler room, a picture of an exterior wall with the credit plaque, a shot of the name plate and a final view of the engine room without the gallery or second flight of staris.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #653 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:31 PM »
Stunning as always John. Who did the name plate for you or if you did it how was it done?

Bill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #654 on: January 12, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Thank you Bill,
The brass nameplate was engraved here in Peterborough by Austin Trophies. I actually taught the owner when he was in Grade Six!
I will mention the company in the video credits.
Thanks for asking.
John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #655 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:53 PM »
The construction phase of the project comes to an end with these closing photos.
Now for the book and the video...

Thanks all for the encouragement, support and help with the building of this Stuart beam enigne diorama.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #656 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:57 PM »
Another one i hate to see end John. Thanks so much for the closing pictures, especially the ones with the lights adding a warm glow to everything. And thanks too for taking us along on the journey!!!

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #657 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »
Oh John! It's beautiful, just beautiful. Congratulations on a wonderful build and thank you for taking us along.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #658 on: January 12, 2018, 10:53:21 PM »
Another beautiful diorama, John.  Just amazing!
Kim

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #659 on: January 12, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
John, what can I say ... absolutely GORGEOUS!!!  I have to tell you that the finished pics brought a tear to my eye. In my current state, with mostly non functioning hands, it would never have got done.

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal