Author Topic: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama  (Read 112683 times)

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama
« Reply #660 on: January 13, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »
That's phenomenal.

The "night" photos are fantastic:

"The mighty Steam Engine is shut down for the night, resting for another day tomorrow. The tools have been put back in their places and the floor has been swept. All is ready for another day..." (except for the little worker standing in the back, looking at the engine and thinking about what needs to be done while he smokes his cigar.)

--ShopShoe

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #661 on: January 13, 2018, 01:33:39 PM »
No question, John, you've done it again.  It's a miniature treasure.  Bravo.

Frankly, I'm surprised that some museum hasn't offered you an outrageous salary to do models like this for their permanent displays.  Seriously, send the Royal Ontario Museum some of your pictures and the URLs for your diorama threads. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #662 on: January 13, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
Another wonderful diorama John. Like Bill, I hate to see it finished. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Book
« Reply #663 on: February 19, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kinkd words.

At this point in time, video plans are on hold.

However, the book recording the build has been completed. 'Apple' does a wonderful job of producing picture books that allow text to tell the story as the pages turn.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #664 on: February 19, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
That looks wonderful John!!  I have missed seeing your updates though and getting my daily diorama fix :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #665 on: February 19, 2018, 08:29:59 PM »
That looks tremendous!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #666 on: February 19, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous! What more can be said.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #667 on: February 19, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
great work and thanks for posting it all.  The diorama really creates the right tone for the engine, so much more pleasing than just looking at a model.

I've a set of castings for one aging.....with this inspirational thread, perhaps I'll have to do more than make the engine
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:47:31 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #668 on: September 23, 2021, 10:38:04 PM »
It has been a few years since a post was on this thread. I posted on the 19th Century Machine Shop diorama page that John had recently passed.

I was absolutely floored when I got an email from John's wife, Hazel, that John had left this diorama of the Stuart Beam Engine to me, with the wish that I become the custodian of it.

I went to visit with Hazel today and brought the diorama home. Now I just have to figure out all the wee tricks he has built into this, and figure out the electrical system he has in it, and try to make it work.

I know, at one point, he had a hand crank system on it, so I need to make a crank, as the original has not been found. I need to find were the crank was attached. I will be re reading the thread to find out all the wee secrets.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #669 on: September 24, 2021, 11:05:48 AM »
Con gratulations with a fantastik gift from John  :praise2:

I'm sure he feldt that you would do it Justice and appreciere it too.

Shame about the missing handle - but at least it's a very minor detail, that you should be able to replicate or at least use a socket wrench.

Per
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:09:38 AM by Admiral_dk »

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #670 on: September 24, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
Thanks Per. I had a lovely visit with John's wife and we shared a lot of good memories.

I have had a quick inspection and given the diorama the once over. If I want the engine itself to be electrically powered, there is a lot to do. The whole friction drive section was taken out for some reason, so it would have to be totally replaced. I no longer have any machine tools of any kind, so the engine will be run on air power only. I will do some testing of that next week, but for now I will just do a little dusting, and sit and admire John's handiwork. Perhaps I could borrow some of Chris's shop elves to get into the wee spaces.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #671 on: September 24, 2021, 02:57:16 PM »
Thanks Per. I had a lovely visit with John's wife and we shared a lot of good memories.

I have had a quick inspection and given the diorama the once over. If I want the engine itself to be electrically powered, there is a lot to do. The whole friction drive section was taken out for some reason, so it would have to be totally replaced. I no longer have any machine tools of any kind, so the engine will be run on air power only. I will do some testing of that next week, but for now I will just do a little dusting, and sit and admire John's handiwork. Perhaps I could borrow some of Chris's shop elves to get into the wee spaces.
Its great that the model is going to a good home and will be preserved. A box of shop elves are on the way (have plenty of cookies ready, I sent it slowest parcel post...  :Lol: )

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #672 on: September 24, 2021, 03:59:39 PM »
Thanks Chris ... I will get right on the cookies!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #673 on: September 24, 2021, 06:45:01 PM »
Its great that the model is going to a good home and will be preserved.

Yes, absolutely. A stunning diorama and wonderful model - so good that it is going to someone who will enjoy it and look after it.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Djangodog

« Reply #674 on: March 26, 2023, 07:53:24 PM »
I am fairly new to the forum and this is the first time that I have looked through this thread.  That has to be the nicest Stuart Beam engine that I have seen.  He seems to have unlocked the model’s potential. Beautiful workmanship and creativity.  He was a real artist.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal