Author Topic: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama  (Read 114867 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Stuart Beam Engine in Diorama
« Reply #405 on: September 21, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »
The model:  exquisite

The video:  delightful

The music:  execrable

It's a genteel, stately British steam engine and deserves music appropriate to that description and era.  Perhaps something by Parry or Elgar.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #406 on: September 21, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »
Beautiful JL, that must make you most pleased.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #407 on: September 21, 2017, 11:06:51 PM »
Thank you gentlemen. Yes, the machine is coming together nicely.

Hi Marv.

I couldn't agree with you more. This test was just a quick shot to show progress, and I chose what was a quick, easy access, but you are so right. The music in the finished video will have to be just right. Your suggestion of Elgar or something stately, majestic and motivationg is a must!

Thanks for the Elgar. I don't know Parry - yet. Getting the right sound is so important. Unfortunately, when you get it, it's not available without copyright hoops.

We spent hours searching out the music for the 19th steam driven machine shop. Michael had access to a music video background music paysite where he had the option of choosing copyright free material.

Great comment.

John

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »
Your beam engine is looking terrific now John.   The extra detailing and interesting ancillaries, and the radiused closure of the entablature, has taken the model into quite different territory from the unadorned, "out of the box" Stuart design.  It's going to look spectacular in its engine house diorama...      Dave

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Timing
« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
Thank you very much for your comments Dave. Appreciated.

After reading Andrew Smith's page 31 of his book on setting the timing for the engine several times, the penny dropped and I understoood that there are two distinct parts involved; using the flywheel and then setting the eccentric.

These three  pictures show the slide valve in the middle, the top port open in the second photo and the bottom port open in the third. All controlled only by the rotation of the flywheel through 360 degrees.

The slide valve looks a bit off to one side. I think that will be corrected when the studs are put in place to fasten the coverplate.

So far so good..

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #410 on: September 22, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
Thanks for the Elgar. I don't know Parry - yet. Getting the right sound is so important.

Perhaps Hubert Parry's most widely known composition is the choral "Jerusalem".  Every self-respecting Brit seems to know it as this sing-along from the 2012 Proms demonstrates...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041nXAAn714" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041nXAAn714</a>

Stately as it is, it's probably not quite right for the video but Parry has many other works from which to choose.

If you Google

youtube Hubert Parry

you'll get a selection of many of his symphonic works that will provide a taste of his music.

Another British composer that might provide something appropriate is Ralph Vaughan Williams.  His creative period was a bit later than the era of the engine but his music is timeless.  As with Parry, Googling youtube and his name will take you to performances of his most often heard works.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #411 on: September 22, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
The position of the eccentric sheave is quite critical and on my last engine i left an extra flange on the side of the sheave with a grub screw to get the engine running sweetly. when this was achieved the inner part of sheave was  drilled through to the crank shaft for a pin and the extra part removed. The  sheave was then held in place with a pin under the eccentric strap. For future maintenance the sheave could be Loctited in place with a removable extended pin and then with the pin removed the hole could be tapped for a grub screw,The sheave is then heated up and removed from the shaft, then painted.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:54:00 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
I quite like Osbert Parsley myself.......and he is buried in Norridge Cathedral as well !!!!!

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #413 on: September 23, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
Hi Marv,
I feel so stupid! I've sung 'Jeruselem' in my choir! I did not connect the composer. Sorry.
I don't think there will be a choir singing in the engine house though. :D
Getting copyright free composed material for the internet will be the trick.

Hi Steam Guy Willy,
You are right. Having that extra boss material 'outside' the width of the sleeve lets you rotate and adjust the sheeve so nicely. That's what Sturart planned as you can see in the first photo.

But when a governor is introduced that extra material is lost. The grub screw ends up in the sheeve. The second photo shows what has to be done to get at it! This is awkward, if you have things hooked up and want to make fine adjustments. You just hope the grub screw is visible when you take off the back of the strap! :???:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
A Finished Engine
« Reply #414 on: September 24, 2017, 11:47:42 PM »
The beam engine is complete:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #415 on: September 24, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
I am pleased with the little extras that add interest to the basic model.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #416 on: September 24, 2017, 11:50:53 PM »
Tom, some parts of the engine were definitely tricky. You know I cheated with the eight links... :embarassed:

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2017, 11:53:12 PM »
It was nice Tom to use some of those extral little goodies in the box such as those #9 pump parts.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2017, 11:55:24 PM »
As I suspected, the compressed air does not give the slow, elegent motion that is expected from a steam powered beam engine. 

Plan B will kick in with the building of the engine house.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #419 on: September 25, 2017, 12:14:46 AM »
Simply beautiful John!! Well, not simple but beautifully done and finished. The diorama will only add to it all the more!!! Well done  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal