Author Topic: AOG's Steam Powered iPhone Charger  (Read 16920 times)

Offline AOG

AOG's Steam Powered iPhone Charger
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:11 AM »
After my last big build, I was trying to decide what to do next. I had settled on doing a steam plant with a generator and some lights. I was discussing the details with my chief engineer at work ( who likes to display my models in his office) when he threw out a comment along the lines of "I wonder if I can charge my iPad from it." We sat down and ran the numbers and figured out that charging an iPad would be marginal but a iPhone was completely doable. The original design concept called for using my PMR 3A as the engine. Unfortunately I have already given that away. I dug into the closet of castings and found a partial set of 3BI castings I can make the rest out of bar stock. So that's the engine sorted. I also pulled out a PMR vertical boiler kit and a PMR generator kit. I started to design a 5 volt buck converter but it ended up being easier to just buy one online. I am currently working on the engine. Since I have already posted a 3A build log I will just be posting status pics until I get the engine finished and I start the boiler.

Here is where I am after this weekend.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: AOG's Steam Powered iPhone Charger
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:41:31 AM »
I want to see the look on people's faces when you mention in a meeting that your iPhone needs a charge, so you need to go light the coal fire in the boiler...!   :Jester:

Offline AOG

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 02:30:31 AM »
I want to see the look on people's faces when you mention in a meeting that your iPhone needs a charge, so you need to go light the coal fire in the boiler...!   :Jester:

I've already been told that coal fired boilers violate company environmental policy so it looks like it will have to be fired on gas.  :LittleDevil:

Tony

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:34:59 AM »

I've already been told that coal fired boilers violate company environmental policy so it looks like it will have to be fired on gas.  :LittleDevil:

Tony
At least leave a lump of coal next to it!   :lolb:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:36 AM »
Great stuff Tony! This will be fun to watch.  :popcorn:

Gives me ideas. Maybe when I get my P & W Hit and Miss done I could power a can opener  or mixer or something!  :lolb:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 09:36:02 AM »
Hi Tony

Love to see the faces of the health & safety people when you pull that out of your bag, wonder over to the table sit it down light her up, watch the pressure come up, & charge up the phone.....

That's going to be priceless!

:popcorn: at the ready

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
Oh...this should be fun Tony. I'm along for the ride too!! 

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
will this be finished by the time i need to recharge my 3310 ??  !! assuming there is no copywright  !!

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
It will be even more visually satisfying if you fuel the boiler with the smart phone.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline AOG

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
It will be even more visually satisfying if you fuel the boiler with the smart phone.

Sorry Marv,  my company is very protective of their electronic leashes.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 03:24:20 PM »
Here is a quick progress update on what I got done this weekend. The cylinder covers are done, the piston rod and piston are done. The packing gland nut is done and both crosshead guide bars are done.

My buck converter also came in this week.

Next up is the supports for the crosshead bar, the crosshead and the piston valve.

Till next time.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
The completed pile is growing Tony. A nice weekend's work I would say!!

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
Nice start - you should be electrocuting, um, I mean charging, that iPhone soon!

Offline AOG

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
Time for a quick update on this project. Here is the current family shot.

All I have left to machine is the flywheel and the eccentric. At that point, the engine will be ready to paint. I have a question for those of you that have made the PMR generator kit. Should I cut a groove in the flywheel for the belt or can I get away with a more esthetically pleasing pulley? Your thoughts would be appreciated. I have started acquiring  the required tools for the next phase of the project. Before I can build a boiler I need to make a pressure test rig. I have a Stuart hand pump kit and I will be getting a PMR water tank and pressure gauge to go with it. When I get started on that phase I will go back to my normal build log format.

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 12:44:55 AM »
Looking good Tony. As for your question I would go with the pulley. As I recall the crankshaft extends out far enough from the flywheel to make this addition easily. That way if you ever need to change the diameter of the pulley you can modify it or simply make a new one. Can't do that with the flywheel. Just my two cents.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal