Author Topic: Bolts or Studs when Fastening Parts  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Bolts or Studs when Fastening Parts
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
Another reason for using studs is that, for several maintenance cycles, they can stay put when dismantling, prolonging the life of the tapped holes in the expensive bits.

Hmm - that was certainly the other way around in my youth ...!   :old:

Most moped cylinders had studs for the inlet and exhaust and the thread on the exhaust ones where always bad  :wallbang:
So changing them for bolts always solved the problem (if we could get them out - else cylinder = scrap) - the same with full size bikes, so we changed them to bolts too and never had any problems after (unless some jerk tightened them too much - but Heli-Coils cures that).

I would NEVER use studs in anything I design - but most here are building copies of old things and that is a different matter.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
Having seen more than my share of old engines and equipment over the years I will offer my opinion on bolts and studs. I think that studs were used when the part being assembled was heavy or hard to hold in place while trying to insert a bolt, cylinder heads on hit and miss engines come to mind. Studs would also be more convenient for alignment.
A great many old machines were assembled using nuts and bolts rather than having a bolt go into a tapped hole. It would be easier to just drill a hole than to tap it given the labor involved and the cost and quality of taps at that time. We take tapping for granted today because the operation can be done by a machine and then there's the cost of using a nut for each bolt. In the day a nut would have been much less expensive compared to the cost of tapping.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 10:16:16 PM »
I think George got the most important reason nailed with cost  :ThumbsUp:

I'm not sure, but where studs "in the mould" so to speak back then - again as not to use a tap, as George mentions ?
I can easily see that with aluminium, but how about cast iron and steel studs ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal