Author Topic: Health Update  (Read 2130 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Health Update
« on: May 21, 2017, 03:38:19 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that my cancer is once again in remission as of a couple weeks ago.  The bad news is that it will return and I've pretty much run out of treatment options.  A clinical trial is about the only other alternative I will have.  I am continuing chemo every three weeks at a reduced dosage to keep the beast at bay as long as possible.  The doctors must do a balancing act between quality of life and survival longevity.

Not trying to be morbid nor looking for sympathy.  I've lived with this for 2 years now and have pretty much known what the end result would be all along.  The wife and I decided early on to continue life as if nothing had changed.  No bucket lists, nothing that needs to be finished before my time comes.  Just live each day, do what I feel like doing, keep up with a few obligatory chores, and keep my finger on the happy button.  The good news is I feel pretty good and can do pretty much what I want, just not for very long.  I am working to get my stamina built back up so I can spend more time doing things and less time in my recliner.  In all honesty, I'm as happy and contented as I've ever been in my life.

I've taken up an interest in RC cars.  Naturally, I went out and bought the most expensive, used RC Rock Crawler, 1/10 scale, I could find, then immediately started figuring out how I could improve it.    I'm still noodling around with the compressed air hit n miss engine design and feel like I'm about ready to make chips.

Thanks to everyone for your support and for lending me your ear.

Chucki
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Health Update
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 03:54:23 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that my cancer is once again in remission as of a couple weeks ago.  The bad news is that it will return and I've pretty much run out of treatment options.  A clinical trial is about the only other alternative I will have.  I am continuing chemo every three weeks at a reduced dosage to keep the beast at bay as long as possible.  The doctors must do a balancing act between quality of life and survival longevity.

Not trying to be morbid nor looking for sympathy.  I've lived with this for 2 years now and have pretty much known what the end result would be all along.  The wife and I decided early on to continue life as if nothing had changed.  No bucket lists, nothing that needs to be finished before my time comes.  Just live each day, do what I feel like doing, keep up with a few obligatory chores, and keep my finger on the happy button.  The good news is I feel pretty good and can do pretty much what I want, just not for very long.  I am working to get my stamina built back up so I can spend more time doing things and less time in my recliner.  In all honesty, I'm as happy and contented as I've ever been in my life.

I've taken up an interest in RC cars.  Naturally, I went out and bought the most expensive, used RC Rock Crawler, 1/10 scale, I could find, then immediately started figuring out how I could improve it.    I'm still noodling around with the compressed air hit n miss engine design and feel like I'm about ready to make chips.

Thanks to everyone for your support and for lending me your ear.

Chucki

Thank you for your post Chuck. It's a nice roadmap for continuing to lead life in the face of medical adversity.

Your RC car story made me think of something that my late father used to tell me: "If you can't afford to do big things......do small things in a big way"!  :) I try to do that.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:11:14 AM »
Chuck,
I guess I've known this was on the back burner for a bit now. I am glad to see the positive attitude you've kept. I lost both of my parents now the last 5 years and a month ago. I tried to enjoy them while they were here and with my Dad that meant stopping by every Tuesday and  :DrinkPint: :cheers: tipping a few with him. Thanks for your continued presence here because I know we still have something to learn from you. God bless you during this time.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:40:01 AM »
Yes, thanks for the update Chuck.  The positive attitude you're maintaining will be the best medicine for this whole mess.  Sorry to hear the prognosis, but glad you're doing everything you can to enjoy life.
Wishing the best of luck to you and your family!
Kim

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »
Thanks for keeping us informed Chuck.

Rudy

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
Chuck, I truly admire your attitude and positive outlook in the face of this adversity.  I hope you continue to feel like makng chips and sharing with us for another two years...at least!!

Bilk
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:01:52 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline RayW

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »
Good to hear from you Chuck and you have my admiration for your fantastic positive attitude. Do keep checking in and keeping us updated on what you are up to. You know that you have friends worldwide rooting for you,

Ray
Ray

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
Chuck,

You always inspire me, WHATEVER you post.

Your projects always provide new ideas and I'm glad to see you are still doing some.

Your posts on facing up to changes in life are also welcomed, as challenges come to all of us to lesser or greater degrees.

Thanks again and best wishes.

ShopShoe

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »
Great attitude Chuck!.  If there is anything I can do to help with adventures into rc rock crawling....let me know!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline mnay

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
Chuck,
I can't add much more to what has been said.  You and another fellow on this forum were instrumental in my being able to complete the cnc conversion on my old bridgeport.
I always read all of your threads with interest and have learned much. You have some very creative ideas.  Keep us posted and hoping you still have a lot of chips to make.
Mike Nay

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
Chuck prayers for you my friend and keep the attitude going. Always looking for some of your post and inspirational projects of yours. Your the man and one of my heros..... :drinking-41:

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »
Chuck,
I wish you the best of luck. It appears as though you have a good handle on the journey, never mind the destination!  :LittleAngel:
Mosey

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
Chuck-

My prayers and best wishes for you during this time.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:22:59 PM »
Lots of your friends have said it all Chuck, Keep positive, keep on keeping on.  We will pray for you my friend.

My very best wishes     Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal