Author Topic: Sale Report  (Read 3004 times)

Offline RayW

Sale Report
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:33:17 PM »
I thought members might be interested in the following model engine prices achieved in a recent UK sale, as reported in the July issue of Stationary Engine magazine;

Alyn Foundry RLE - £700
Redwing 4inch scale - £900
Centaur 60cc sideshaft - £700
Alyn Foundry Robinson X hot-air - £700
Westbury Wyvern - £650
Robinson hot-air - £700

Ray
Ray

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Sale Report
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
Ray were they completed engines or just the kits?

Offline RayW

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »
They were all completed.
Ray

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
With the exception of the Redwing, those would all be under $1000 US dollars. Less the cost of the castings that doesn't leave much for the builder's time!

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »
You can't make a living making one off model engines from other people's designs  :ShakeHead:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »
So true Jo, hopefully though they all found good homes where they will at least be appreciated !!

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:07:07 PM »
You can't make a living making one off model engines from other people's designs  :ShakeHead:

Jo

Not if you are going to sell than at those very reasonable prices.

I think the going rate for a factory made Redwing is £2800GBP and even then you would be need to be making them in batches and be jigged up to make it worth your while.

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
Those are the prices they achieved at auction.

A well known engine builder, like Eric Offen, can command a good price when he builds a batch of engines and orders for all engines are up front. But even those can struggle to sell second hand: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHANNEL-ISLAND-SPECIAL-10cc-PETROL-ENGINE-/192184258327?hash=item2cbf130f17:g:l9EAAOSwX61ZBGwb (They got the details wrong there were only 8 made in the batch, one casting was duff and someone talked him out of another set  ::) )

My friend Dave Parker also makes engines to order but he has had to close his order book as he has orders for more engines than he can build in a reasonable time frame.

Buying off the shelf new is always very expensive, Stuarts do them, as does Polly Wobbles. They represent a large overhead for the business so the builder will have got much less than half of the commercial sale price  :-\.

Jo

Offline RayW

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »
If you really have cash to splash, Ministeam are advertising a completed 1895 Otto, like mine, for $7999!!!! It is described as one of a batch of 8 built by the designer - presumably Heinz Kornmuller.

Ray
Ray

Offline scalemodel

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
The models did look quite nice, in the sale report and I'm not sure if jim service has made them but I could be wrong.

I would think selling little hit and miss engines in a sale is a bad move as buyers are frighten d to bid to high with all the buyers premium etc

As jo says its better to buy off a known builder. Theres a lot to, be said for going to the builders workshop and seeing it running before any money is handed over

Jonathan

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »
Here are pictures of the engines copied from the auction results,

Andy

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »
Evolution....

Either mans arms have grown shorter or trouser pockets have become deeper, either way those prices are rather poor!

I remember getting over 1K for fully built RLE's and 1.5K for Gardner back in the very late 80's early 90's.

Sadly the real truth is that everyone has had to tighten their belts, things like disposable income for any hobby has been drastically reduced!

Is there any more information on who the builder was? I can't quite make out the numbers stamped on the plates, oh and didn't Ray mention a Hot air engine?

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:09:01 PM »
I think Ray had the Robinson X type down as a Robinson hot air engine.

I suppose a lot will also depend on who is at the auction or looking online on the day as to what price they will reach, I assume that was hammer price so there is commission and VAT to be added as well as delivery costs for any online bidders.

They look to be well made and finished and I would say all are or have been runners so whoever bought them got a good deal.

J

EDIT there was a Hot air Robinson, also went for £700.
Most of the models were in sale 1 from about lot 380
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:25:04 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
The second hand engine values are dropping: The model Aero engines have halved in value over the last few years as the collectors head for the great aerodrome in the sky more and more model engines are coming onto the market and so few youngsters are interested :-\.

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
The second hand engine values are dropping: The model Aero engines have halved in value over the last few years as the collectors head for the great aerodrome in the sky more and more model engines are coming onto the market and so few youngsters are interested :-\.

Jo

Hmmm.....

Perhaps a new engine design with LCD display and Digital interface is required?

Our youth seem to be totally obsessed with " new " technology.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal