Author Topic: Happy World Metrology Day from Starrett  (Read 1214 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Happy World Metrology Day from Starrett
« on: May 20, 2017, 03:34:29 PM »
Did you know that today, May 20th, is World Metrology Day?

On this day, in 1875 the Metre Convention was signed.  This treaty provides the basis for a coherent measurement system worldwide that underpins scientific discovery and innovation, industrial manufacturing and international trade, as well as the improvement of the quality of life and the protection of the global environment.  Read more about it here.
http://www.worldmetrologyday.org

Starrett has been providing quality metrology tools since 1880, nearly as long as standardized measurement.  Our tools have been passed down from generation to generation, with some from that time period still in regular use.  We're proud to know that people trust our products when precision counts.  Please click here to learn more about our company history, or you can click here to view our products.

Happy Metrology Day!

http://www.worldmetrologyday.org
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Happy World Metrology Day from Starrett
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »
Interesting Stan!  I am surprised Hallmark hasn't picked up on this one yet with a line of greeting cards for our machinist friends  :thinking:

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
It strikes me as hilarious that Usonians would think about celebrating the birth of the metric system given that many of them seem to think it's the work of the devil or some such and will go out of their way to avoid it.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
... Usonians....

Marv,
That's twice I've seen you use the term Usonians here and I'm wondering what you mean by it. I'm only familiar with the term as coined by Frank Lloyd Wright in reference to some of his architectural theories. That's all that internet searches turn up, too.

Incidentally,, I had a chance to examine one of Wright's Usonian houses in Balboa Park on a visit to San Diego. A temporary installation, I think. The house was in my opinion impractical and silly, an opinion which seemed to diametrically oppose Wright's own.

--Tim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
I don't like to use the adjective "American" when referring to anything peculiar to the USA.  "American" can refer to any of the countries in the two American continents.  Canadians and Mexicans could justifiably feel offended when we use "American" in the sense of referring to the USA.

The term "Usonian" was coined by James Duff Law and popularized by Wright.  I think the term is awkward (but then so is United States of America a ponderous name for a country) but it's recognized so I'll continue to use it until something better becomes accepted.

Wright was the best residential architect ever in my opinion.  I've visited several of his iconic homes and they're exquisite from the outside but the interiors tend to be a bit stark, although artistically coordinated.  He often insisted on designing the furniture for his homes.  While simpatico with the architecture most of it is supremely uncomfortable. 

His youthful home designs are less dramatic.  He was learning his art and hadn't yet learned to ignore his clients.

His non-residential styles are not my favorites.  MOMA is a monstrosity and the Johnson Wax building, while innovative in design, is dated.  His work in Japan is far better.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »
Marv,
If you like Wright's work my guess you are not over 6' tall. I am 6' 4" and I really hate the short overhead room in a lot of his buildings.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal