Author Topic: Metal stacking stand - floor based and low profile  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Joco

Metal stacking stand - floor based and low profile
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
In an effort to control the disaster of lose metal stock in the garage which is a significant impediment to getting the wife's car back in the garage I came up with an idea to stack the metal on some floor based racks that were low profile, stable and reasonably simple to make.  I'm not sure how well these will work out but if you don't try stuff you don't learn.

Pic #1:  screenshot from Fusion 360 of the concept.

Pic #2:  one stand basically done other than some caps to close off the end of tube and the second started

Pic #3: drawings to viewing on this side without having to grab the pdf.  You will notice from this and the pdf the Fusion doesn't do frames as nicely as Inventor so as long as you ignore the box section going into the vertical part it should all make sense.  The dimension are not hard and fast and I tweaked some of the part locations as I was welding stuff up to be more to my liking.

Pic #4:  the pdf file of the drawings.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

Re: Metal stacking stand - floor based and low profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »
Did some more welding this evening in the garage even though its only about 4C in there and finished up the main construction of the second stand.  Now I just need to put some end caps on the SHS.

James
Wellington - NZ

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »
I'm not a welder, but that looks pretty fine to me, James.
You'll have to let us know how they work out when you get them loaded with metal!
Kim

Offline Joco

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 02:32:11 AM »
A good morning this morning.  More TIG practice putting the end caps on. More tungsten grinding as well.  I'm now at the point I can regrind to a nice point in about 15 seconds tops.  Now if my welds could only be that good.

Anyway ... here a a couple of pics of the cleaned up steel pile in the garage. You can see from previous pics the mess in the background, well now its all nice and tidy and these racks are working a treat.  I'm going to try and scrounge enough steel to make another to give some better mid span support and to make it easier to hold shorter stock.

I have deliberately left the tops of the vertical open in case I decide to add some more height and arms. I'm also going to see if I can find a plastic cap to just finish it off.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:41:33 AM »
Nice  :ThumbsUp:
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 05:13:02 AM »
Hi James,
 That's look good. Hope you scored some browny point with SWMBO! Go to Mitre 10 they have the plastic plugs, well in the size I needed....to fit 25mm square...n ver looked to see if they had bigger. Para Rubber used to be great for them too...ours left town.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:23:55 AM »
Kerrin - thanks.  I'll check out Mitre10 to see if they do stuff for 35mm shs.  There is a para rubber in Petone if no luck at mitre10.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal