Author Topic: Good-bye  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Good-bye
« on: May 20, 2017, 02:11:03 AM »
I left without saying good-bye.  It is clear to me now that my near obsession with my shop and the engine design/build/post process may have been a symptom of an approaching fit of depression.  I left my shop one evening and did not return until a few days ago.  It did not bother me at all.  It was a positive step.  I had come to fear that, even though I am in good health, I would die before being able to complete the current project and that would somehow be an earth shaking tragedy. I won't be going back to working there.

Even though the forum does not like political discussion or points of view, I will say that the events of the last several months played a major role in pushing me into a very dark mood, mostly one of disappointment.

I have got a hold of it now, and can really enjoy a long walk with my dogs.  I can sit under a tree and watch them run.  I can talk to them for an hour or so and slowly come to their point of view.  The world is a big place and we occupy such a small part of it that our individual actions or failure to act makes so little impact that we should not waste time looking back.  Today is enough to deal with.

Our actions as a group can change the course of history but that begins to sound political but that's where I am now.

NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Good-bye
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 02:28:59 AM »
Jerry, thanks for checking in and for the post. I can only wish you all the best and peace and happiness in whatever you pursue.

Regards,

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 03:43:11 AM »
I left without saying good-bye.  It is clear to me now that my near obsession with my shop and the engine design/build/post process may have been a symptom of an approaching fit of depression.  I left my shop one evening and did not return until a few days ago.  It did not bother me at all.  It was a positive step.  I had come to fear that, even though I am in good health, I would die before being able to complete the current project and that would somehow be an earth shaking tragedy. I won't be going back to working there.

Even though the forum does not like political discussion or points of view, I will say that the events of the last several months played a major role in pushing me into a very dark mood, mostly one of disappointment.

I have got a hold of it now, and can really enjoy a long walk with my dogs.  I can sit under a tree and watch them run.  I can talk to them for an hour or so and slowly come to their point of view.  The world is a big place and we occupy such a small part of it that our individual actions or failure to act makes so little impact that we should not waste time looking back.  Today is enough to deal with.

Our actions as a group can change the course of history but that begins to sound political but that's where I am now.

I'm sorry to hear that your leaving, but I'm glad you have made your life better.....good luck!..

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:00:59 AM »
We'll miss your posts and your point of view here, Jerry.  But wish you the best of luck in whatever you pursue.  Make the best of it and don't regret the choices you make.  Enjoy them! And stop by and say 'Hi' once in a while, if the mood hits.  :)
Kim

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
Jerry,
Take each day as it comes. Don't look back, or worry about 'what if'.
Good luck
Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:04:11 AM »
Thanks for joining in with the nutators, I really appreciated your work. Bon voyage. Paul Gough.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jerry,

I had come to fear that, even though I am in good health, I would die before being able to complete the current project and that would somehow be an earth shaking tragedy.

I too worry that I will die before I finish building all the engines I have castings for :paranoia: and the others I intend on designing and building :(

All the time we still have our workshops we still have the option to go an have a little tinker, and when you do - you never know where your heart may take you  ;)

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Sorry to hear you go. All that's going on in the world sounds bad, but I always think to myself it could be a hell of a lot worse.
Come back every now and then, just to see what's going on, you don't need to log on.
Ian S C

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »
Sorry to hear that Jerry,

I had come to fear that, even though I am in good health, I would die before being able to complete the current project and that would somehow be an earth shaking tragedy.

I too worry that I will die before I finish building all the engines I have castings for :paranoia: and the others I intend on designing and building :(

All the time we still have our workshops we still have the option to go an have a little tinker, and when you do - you never know where your heart may take you  ;)

Jo

The flip side of that sentiment, is think of all the enjoyment, and satisfaction gained....even if it doesn't get finished....that counts for something.  Few things if ever survive beyond us.  Intentions fall to the floor, and the "library" closes.    So while your here....make sure you enjoy the book....even if you don't make it to the last page.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »
Jerry - I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving us - you will be missed just as a number of others who aren't here anymore. You certainly have contributed with a number of fine projects and helpful comments.

That said - please don't feel bad about leaving, but follow your heart and do whatever satisfy you / makes you feel good.

Best wishes

Per

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Really sorry to hear you are leaving.

Thanks for the help you gave me on my Corliss, I actually finished it this week and got it running, which
was partly due to help you gave me!

All the very best for the future.

Kind regards
Les

Offline DICKEYBIRD

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »
Hi Jerry, I had some of the same feelings a year ago & my shop time became a drudgery with very little pleasure.  I was chatting with my doctor about something else & she recommended a mild anti-depressant.  I usually try to avoid adding yet more medications to my 69 year old body but by golly it worked!  Between that & quitting cold turkey my obsession with keeping up with talk radio & TV news shows, life is good again!  I do admit to switching from one obsession to another though; listening to mp3 audiobooks has changed my life!  I don't do it in the shop but just about everywhere else.

I hope you find peace & happiness in whatever path you find yourself on brother! :cheers:
"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »
Good luck Jerry.  I have to agree with you about the current political state of the world, all a bit Orwellian!  As such, I've also decided to sit under the spreading chustnut tree and await the bullet to the back of the head  :Doh:

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
Wishing you the best Jerry, time with animals outside is always a good respite from problems, perceived or real.

In begin of 2009 we went on a 2 month cruise, and didn't follow the news at all. Best learning ever, we ditched our cable subscription upon return. Besides not wasting time seeing commercials for things no one needs, we also don't watch all the negativity, that no one needs to see. And we have time for chats, hobbies, sitting outside etc.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Hey Jerry, just wanted to check in and wish you well.  My life, too, is at a turning point, but that's a subject for a different thread.  Best of luck with all your future endeavors.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal