Author Topic: Sweet little hit n miss...  (Read 3766 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Sweet little hit n miss...
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
I know many of you may have already seen this video, but thought I'd post a link to it anyway.  It's not mine (wish it was), but is just the nicest and sweetest little Hit n Miss engine I think I've ever seen.  It has 3" flywheels, 1/2" bore and 3/4" stroke.  If you are out there somewhere, really nice work rudydubya.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obseeCEDECU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obseeCEDECU</a>

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Sweet little hit n miss...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
Chuck, it really is a beautifully running engine!!  Are you aware that rudy is a member of this forum?  Hopefully he will see the post and weigh in.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:10:35 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:24:16 AM »
Chick, it really is a beautifully running engine!!  Are you aware that rudy is a member of this forum?  Hopefully he will see the post and weigh in.

Bill

I hope so............I'd love to know more about that engine. It has Sherline written all over it!  ;D

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »
Chuck, thank you, I am here.  Always a good feeling to know there's still interest.  I start the little engine almost every time I visit the shop just to watch it run and brighten my day (you all know what I'm talking about).  The only work I've done on it since that video was to narrow the mixer venturi a little.  Fewer hiccups now as it hits, somewhat longer coasts between hits.

Bill, thanks.

Jim, my build log is here:  http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5346.msg102254.html#msg102254.  I built it with a mini-lathe and mini-mill, but a Sherline would work.

I finished the little engine almost two years ago and haven't had a major build project since, too busy contemplating my mortality and other diversions.  But the recent interest in Arv's Tiny by the nice folks here on the forum has me considering a smaller version also.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:03:02 PM »
Chuck, thank you, I am here.  Always a good feeling to know there's still interest.  I start the little engine almost every time I visit the shop just to watch it run and brighten my day (you all know what I'm talking about).  The only work I've done on it since that video was to narrow the mixer venturi a little.  Fewer hiccups now as it hits, somewhat longer coasts between hits.

Bill, thanks.

Jim, my build log is here:  http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5346.msg102254.html#msg102254.  I built it with a mini-lathe and mini-mill, but a Sherline would work.

I finished the little engine almost two years ago and haven't had a major build project since, too busy contemplating my mortality and other diversions.  But the recent interest in Arv's Tiny by the nice folks here on the forum has me considering a smaller version also.

Regards,
Rudy

Thanks Rudy. I've got your build bookmarked and am looking forward to going through it.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:35:16 PM »
In case anyone is interested, here is a recent video I took with my tablet to show someone.  It's short, about a minute long, but shows the improved running and how easy it is to start.  The coin was just for scale.  Larger view on YouTube.  Audio is not very loud, you might need to turn up your volume.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Kuij5_pmA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Kuij5_pmA</a>

Regards,
Rudy

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:02:01 PM »
Definitely on my list. Nice ones Chuck and Rudy. Very nice.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:01:22 AM »
Rudy, thanks again for posting your build log link. I had followed along as you built it and commented at the time, but out of sight, out of mind I guess. I was particularly interested in the base and how you packed everything in that small space which is what I hope to do on the "Tiny" build as well.

Bill

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 02:11:37 AM »
Very well running engine! Well done Rudy!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
Zee, thanks.  Looking forward to following your builds when you get your shop finished.

Bill, thanks for your interest.  I'm enjoying following along with your Tiny build.  That third picture down in post #86 of my log is probably the best view of how I packed stuff in the base.  Not as compact as I wanted, but everything fits and I can take everything out if necessary without a lot of work.  I used silicone sealant to hold some of the wires in place, holds pretty good to wood and plastic and peels off if needed.  I put a miniature slide switch at the back for power on/off along with miniature LEDs for power on and Hall device trigger.

Yogi, thank you.  I appreciate your interest and comments.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
Rudy, what did you settle on for the venturi diameter?  I assume it's just a simple mixer?

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 07:32:26 AM »
Chuck, it is indeed a simple mixer, just a tube with a narrowed section for a venturi and a tapered screw that seats into the jet drilled in the side wall leading to the fuel line.

My original mixer had a 0.076" venturi section.  The one I'm using now has a 0.0595" venturi.  In both cases, the mixer body has a 0.125" ID and the jet is 0.025".  The needle is a tapered 0-80 screw.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 08:47:54 PM »
Super neat Rudy.
Thomas

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 10:05:59 PM »
Thank you Thomas.  I've seen some of your work here on the forum, nicely done.

Regards,
Rudy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal