Author Topic: Sherline products availability in Europe  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Mokhin

Sherline products availability in Europe
« on: January 02, 2022, 10:13:17 PM »
Hi,

With this new year I'm at last about to take the leap and invest in some machine tool now that I have a spare room to use. After some research and regarding my production goal, I am looking to get a Sherline Lathe + Mill set.

However I have some question about the support here in Europe where I live. Is there anyone using Sherline in that area ? Do you have difficulties to order parts or accessories and getting them reasonably fast without paying ludacrous amount of postage or tax ?

Best regards and happy new year 2022 !!!!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Sherline products availability in Europe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
Prior to Brexit buying from Millhill Supplies in the UK would have been easy but now delivery costs will be a bit higher and tax adds a further complication but should still be cheaper than postage and duty from the US.

They certainly have several official dealers in mainland Europe so worth looking at them to see what they stock
https://www.sherline.com/sherline-worldwide-dealers/

Offline Mokhin

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 08:26:12 AM »
Hi,

I did look for the different main Europe dealers and generally they do charge for tax import from USA if not in stock unless you order over some threshold price (about 1500$ or so!).

Maybe I am wrong to worry but I would love to ear from you.

Regards.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 11:18:06 AM »
I ordered a couple of lathe chucks direct from Sherline in the USA. The shipping to Switzerland was around 70 USD if I remember correctly.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Mokhin

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 03:43:43 PM »
That's about 1/4 of the order value. How do you consider such value ? How about import tax for Switzerland ?

Regards.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
I don't remember about the import tax  :old: but generally here it is not too bad. Normally there is a fixed charge for clearance + VAT.

The decision for me is always is it what I need and can I afford it. The lathe chucks from Sherline were the best compromise for my Proxxon FD150. The alternative from Cowells were more expensive and the additional cost would not have further improved my FD150.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 05:59:48 PM »
If you want some reasonable 65mm diameter chucks I picked up some from China for Schoey:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000024005482.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.18e84c4ddiNDtm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000594871724.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.18e84c4ddiNDtm

These are actually not bad but I will keep trying to get my supplier to let me have the diddy 3 jaw Pratt SC Chuck from him  :stickpoke: To go with the rather nice 4 jaw I just happened to have  ::) The problem is he is flush with cash so it is difficult to get him to part with anything of late  :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 06:49:46 PM »
Sherline has 20% off on chucks for January, maybe that would help some.

Dave

Offline Mokhin

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 08:01:35 PM »
Sherline has 20% off on chucks for January, maybe that would help some.

Dave

Good to know !! Thanks

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 11:34:44 PM »
I believe the Taig chucks will fit the Sherline's too.  Taig accessories are also very well made but tend to be less expensive than the Sherline version.  They have no anodizing and often aren't as polished as the Sherline, but I have found the Taig chucks to work quite well.  And while I have used several Sherline accessories with my Taig (like the mill vise and the 4" rotary table - things which Taig doesn't make) and they are very nice, I have never used the Sherline chucks, so can't directly compare.

The Taig 4-jaw is 79.50 (and you can always get it for 10% off from Nick Carter Tools).

The Sherline 4-jaw is $147.42.  20% off would be nice, but I didn't find that in my quick google search.

Just to give you an example of the price difference.

Kim

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 12:12:33 AM »
Kim,
Go to https://www.sherline.com/ there is always a 20% internet special on the home page, this month it is chucks. I use some accessories from both Taig and Sherline with my small lathes.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal