Author Topic: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest  (Read 12479 times)

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 07:28:57 PM »
MUCH improved, James. Good work and well worth the redo.

Alan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »
The redo threads look much better James, and the whole project is coming together nicely!!

Bill

Offline Joco

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »
The final threads in all their glory.   :naughty:

Finished the long one tonight with my brand new HSS M5 button die. But after some TIG practice it just got too dang cold in the garage. So have to wait until tomorrow night for the next lot of stuff.

j.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »
Very nice detailed write up of your worthwhile project, James, have enjoyed the excellent photos and breakdown of your workshop practice approach.  Job looking very good!    Dave

Offline Joco

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
A short update of some of the fiddly bits.

Pic #1:
Shows the threaded rods with their retention sleeves in place.  These now need to secured properly in place.  A mix of loctite and a pin should see these being pretty solid.  Although I do have a half formed idea that a little TIG Brazing on the threaded side will hold stuff in place forever.  But we shall see I'm probably at risk of over engineering things again.  :facepalm:
You can also see the locking rod with its little brass cap.  That was a pain to make.  Its 4mm wide with a 2.4mm shaft that inserts into the rod.  The other rounds are the beginnings of the knobs that will go on the ends of these shafts.

pic #2:
This is a close up of the locking shaft with the brass insert installed.

Cheers,
James.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 09:13:29 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
Okay I just couldn't stop. The knob blanks were sitting there in a very accusatory way.  "Machine me ... machine ME ... MACHINE ME DAMMIT!!!"

Pic #1:
This is the setup used to machine the knobs.  The toolmaker clamp provides a stop so I can turn the ER32 Hex block and reposition in exactly the same spot. The mill tool is an 8mm bull nose HSS bit. The knob blanks are 1215 engineering steel, 19.90mm round.

Pic #2:
The knobs all done other than the set screw holes.  Things were getting a bit dang cold in the garage so that can be a tomorrow job. You might notice that the indents don't go all the way down the sides. There is a 3mm band still left intact, The idea is that at some point I will have the setup to put marks on the knobs.  Given the threads is M5 x 0.8mm which means if I put 40 divisions on this I get 0.02mm travel per division.

Pic #3:
"Dry" fit up of the knobs with the various shafts. Starting to look more and more real.   :ThumbsUp:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »
Okay an update with the latest parts made.

This pic shows:
[1] The equal angle which will be the base. 32x32mm angle with a 110mm slot cut in it using standard chain drilling approach to remove the bulk of the material.

[2] three washes that are 3mm thick

[3] The M3 set screw visible on the knob

[4] The spacer between the black plastic ball and the central dovetail.

Cheers,
J.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 05:22:11 AM »
A little bit done over the course of the week and today (Saturday).  Progress while a bit slower than I would like, blasted work has a lot to answer for, but my learning curve hasn't helped either.  Anyway on to the pics.    :popcorn:

Pic #1 Setting up for drilling the cross pins to hold the 7mm retaining ring in place on the threaded shafts. The rings have been secured with loctite as will the pins be.

Pic #2: WIN - 1/16" holes drilled ready for the 1/16 Piano Wire I'm using to make the pins. 

Pic #3: The raw pins in place

Pic #4: Pins ground back ready for a proper sanding

Pic #5: The bearing blocks that will hold the long fence feed screw in place.

Pic #6: The bearing block that will secure the dovetail feed screw positioned and ready to locate the drilling position of its securing screws.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
Managed to get some nice progress on the transport block that the fence will be mounted on and which will allow small adjustments of the fence position. Todays achievement was to get the blocked drilled and tapped to run on the M5 lead screw.
General process was:
[1] to get the block mounted in the mill vice vertically then aligned for drilling
[2] drill with 11/64 all the way through (total hole depth is 45mm)
[3] drill 25mm at 4.5mm to a depth of 25mm
[4] ream to 5mm to 25mm depth
[5] tap M5 all the way through on the remaining 11/64 sized hole using a tap wrench

The setup was not changed through the entire operation to ensure no alignment issues.

Pic 1 & 2:
Dry assembly showing the transport block on the lead screw with the knob and mounting blocks.

Pic 3:
Dry assembly on the underside of the grinding rest.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »
A nice evening distressing in the garage.  Decided to stop once it got to the point each breath was a puff of steam.   :Lol:

Pic #1:
The holes drilled, tapped M3 and the everything mounted up properly.

Pic #2:
The top of the table.  You can see the transport block pocking through the slot.  It now needs to have the fence mounting holes drilled and tapped.

Pic #3:
This shows how much the transport block is sticking through. This is intentional.  I need to blue the sides and run a scrip along the sides flush with the top of the table.  I can then mill down to that line and have the block nicely flush and ready for the fence to be mounted.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 03:34:32 AM »
Bit of an update from the last few days of making chips.

Basically we have the fence transport completed having the mounting holes for the fence drilled and tapped.
The full assembly of the grinding rest.
The completion of the fence other than the needed M5 screw to mount it to fence transport that I had forgotten to order but are now on their way.
The locking thumb screw on the fence that I made today.  Just turned down from 10mm round then grips made with a 4mm end mill.

Pics 1 to 4: The grinding rest assembled. Still in need of a cleaning bath to get all the blue off.  But that will happen soon enough.

Pic 5: The basic blank for the fence.  You can see the M3 screw on the side at the front which acts as a stop.

Pic 6: The fence cleaned up and the locking thumb screw in place.

Pc 7: Close up of the thumb screw to try and show off the milled grips.  Could probably do with a final cleaning facing pass to really clean up the top.  But its perfectly functional and smooth as is.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 03:40:26 AM »
Oh and the ball clamping stand-off is currently getting "right sized" as at the moment it is clearly to big.    :ThumbsUp:
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »
And here is the completed fence mounted on the grinding rest.   Next will be nice mounting of the bench grinder along with the mounting positions for the grinding rest.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Coming together well :)

Offline Joco

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 07:45:15 AM »
These are mockup pics of the grinding station.  The base is 16mm thick melamine board cut to 600x600mm and a sandwich of two sheets glued together.  The grinder is raised up by 18mm to get a better position for the rest and to allow more options on the vertical adjustment.  Next will be to finalise the position, market for holes  and the threaded inserts.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:34:58 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal