Author Topic: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest  (Read 934 times)

Offline Joco

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 119
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 04:43:22 AM »
The results of all that swarf - Some blanks all nicely machined to size ready to be blued and marked out. 
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 119
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »
So the working week has started so just small steps over the next few days.  Got a couple of parts done tonight.  The two parts that form the vertical adjustment have been milled.  There is one lathe operation left to do but until I get the plastic ball delivered then no mad rush to do that.

Pic 1 & 2:
Chain drilling before finishing the slot with a 6mm carbide 4 flute end mill.

Pic 3:
The two parts side by side just to show I'm really making chips and not just doing model renders.   :naughty:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:01:41 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 119
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 07:32:53 AM »
Today was spent largely on another project needed to tidy up the mess of metal in the garage.  However after lots of TIG welding and a nearly equal amount of  :Mad:  :cussing:  :rant:   :wallbang:  :cussing:  :Mad: I hung up the TIG torch and played with the mill.

The result being I managed to get a couple more parts progressed.  The metal family is growing ... per pic #1.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Kim

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2058
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 03:35:58 PM »
Looking good, James!  You've got a growing family portrait there :)
Kim

Offline Joco

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 119
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »
The end of weekend wrap-up ...
I was all gungho to do the dovetails thinking I could use an angle plate set in my vice at the correct milling angle then clamping the parts to this against a fence for reference.  The fence idea being that I could get one part all correctly aligned, clamp some steel as a fence on its base so I could mount the other parts for dovetailing in the same spot.

Anyway, it all came apart when I discovered the angle plate will not fit my vice.  Its 12mm to big.  So looks like I need to get a smaller one or come up with another method for accurately and repeatably mounting this stuff.

However no to be completely daunted I went on to do some other needed operations, some that needed to be done before putting angles on things.   So ... drilled and tapped some M5 holes and set up one of the risers that will clamp the 25mm plastic ball on the lathe faceplate (first time ever using this) and got the 30 degree chamber needed to clamp on the ball.

The pics ...

#1: Setting up the part and using a 6mm drill to help align the 6mm hole.  It wasn't perfect but for what it will be used for it should be fine.  Clamped this as best I could and given its not the most beautiful clamping job set about running at slow speeds (200rpm) and stopping between each cut to check everything was holding.

#2: The result.  While not the most polished lathe work it should do the job and to be honest a less than mirror finish on this clamping surface is probably a good thing.

#3: The M5 holes in all their glory.  These were drilled then power tapped on the mill at the slowest speed I have (60rpm).  Got to love gun taps.

#4: A little bit of a repeat but a nice closeup of the riser arm with the big 30 deg chamber at the top.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ