Author Topic: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest  (Read 12492 times)

Offline Joco

Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« on: May 07, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »
Next little project that should result in a nice usable tool and progress general machining experience.

So the game plan is take these blanks (pic 1) and turn them into this simple grinder rest as designed by Harold Hall (http://www.homews.co.uk/page146.html)

http://www.homews.co.uk/LrgGrindRestSim01.jpg

As you can see from the blanks I have lots of cleaning up and shaping to do.  The massive angle iron will get cut down to a circa 40x40 size with the cut-offs going into the steel collection bin for use at a later date.
I also have yet to cut off the round bar blanks but will get that done once I get some progress on rectangular parts.

Anyway, hope this little build and the resulting tool will be of interest to some people. The plans are in Harold's book "Tool and Cutter Sharpening" which is #38 of the "Workshop Practices Series" if you are interested in dimensions etc.

Cheers,
James.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:48:12 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Learners Project - Simple Grinding Rest
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 02:51:44 AM »
Looks like a nice project James and a useful tool as a result. Will be following along  :popcorn:

Bill

Offline Ridjobradi

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 04:25:40 AM »
Standing by to see more. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:57:46 AM »
Hi James,
That will be a great project!  I built Harold's advanced grinding rest from the same book.  Not sure it was a lot more difficult - if I remember right, the 'advanced' one has dovetails and the 'simple' one has a ball mount.  Maybe other differences too.  Regardless, it will be a fun project and as mentioned, a very useful tool.  I use mine all the time!

I'll be following along!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Joco

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 06:11:30 AM »
Hi James,
That will be a great project!  I built Harold's advanced grinding rest from the same book.  Not sure it was a lot more difficult - if I remember right, the 'advanced' one has dovetails and the 'simple' one has a ball mount.  Maybe other differences too.  Regardless, it will be a fun project and as mentioned, a very useful tool.  I use mine all the time!

I'll be following along!  :popcorn:
Kim

Hi Kim.  The advanced rest was tempting but a little more than I really need.  The simple one does indeed use a ball mount to manage the front/back and side/side tilt of the table.  There is still one set of dovetails to make so not completely off the hook on that front.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 05:16:03 AM »
Hi Kim.  The advanced rest was tempting but a little more than I really need.  The simple one does indeed use a ball mount to manage the front/back and side/side tilt of the table.  There is still one set of dovetails to make so not completely off the hook on that front.
Which every one you build, it will be a great project!  Looking forward to it :)
Kim

Offline Joco

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:46:44 AM »
So to help me visualise how all the parts fit together and to allow me to convert some measurements to accomodate some slightly larger stock than the book plans suggest I have been modelling this in Fusion 360.  This also forces me to learn Fusion 360 as I see it as a useful tool for later CNC'ing of the Mill.  Since it can do both the CAD and the CAM parts of the process.  Anyway I digress.

This render gives a good view of how some of the parts below the table will fit together. The various screws etc are missing for clarity.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »
James,

While the ball is obvious, how do you plan to make the sockets? This will be a nice project to watch come to life. Do you also make accessory tool holders to work with this?

Alan

Offline Joco

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
Alan - re the sockets which I presume you mean the indents that the ball sits in and is griped by.   While making them as curved scoops would be ideal its not actually necessary.   They are really just over sized counter sinks.  The angle is more like 105 degrees not 90.  The easiest way to achieve should be to setup in the 4-jaw or face plate, set the top-slide to the correct angle and feed in.

On the accessories front Harold's book shows a range of accessories for it.   His website page http://www.homews.co.uk/page146.html also depicts them in completed form.  I linked to his photo below for convenience.

Cheers,
J.

James
Wellington - NZ

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »
Just checking in James. Looking forward to the first chips on this project.

Bill

Offline Joco

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:25 AM »
Started some chip creation tonight but nothing interesting.  Just taking some of the raw stock and sanding off mill scale and squaring things up.   So no photos as thats kind of boring stuff.

Game plan is once evil work is over this week I'll get setup for photos, get out the layout dye and starting marking out parts, drilling some holes, making a slot or two and getting the kit to do the angles for the dovetails.

J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 11:03:53 PM »
Right - the start of a mostly sunny looking if cool Sunday down under in NZ.  Chips shall be made and the temptation to practice with my TIG welder will be ignored (repeat after me .... "it WILL be ignored").

So today will be trying to get as much metal shaped, drilled and countersunk as my slightly fried brain can achieve. renders of the rests top assembly (still missing a couple of bits) attached.   I'm quite looking forward to this tool being usable, its going to make shaping some HSS lathe tools I want to make much easier.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 11:24:14 PM »
Hi James,
 Got the  :popcorn: at the ready now it's all harvested.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 02:10:02 AM »
Making chips!!  Mill getting nice and messy.

Getting everything to size is proving to be a bit of a mission.  I'm probably being way to soft on my kit and not taking as big a bites in a pass as I could.  Slowly getting more comfortable with the BF20's abilities and taking deeper cuts.  But eating up a bit of learning time in the process.
James
Wellington - NZ

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 02:54:32 AM »
Getting everything to size is proving to be a bit of a mission.  I'm probably being way to soft on my kit and not taking as big a bites in a pass as I could.  Slowly getting more comfortable with the BF20's abilities and taking deeper cuts.  But eating up a bit of learning time in the process.

That's the way of it with these early projects - you just take your time and learn how your machine sounds and feels when its doin' it's thing.  You'll get faster as you know your equipment better, and get a better feel for how the different metals respond.  But it still takes time.  For me, that is one of the things I enjoy - slowing down and taking the time to do things carefully and well.  Not that I always succeed mind you, but when I don't, I learn. And hopefully, I always have fun while I'm at it!

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal