Author Topic: Detroit diesel model  (Read 1680 times)

Offline freefuel

Detroit diesel model
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »
Hi I have an interest in the old 2 stroke Diesel engines that were made by GM under the Detroit Diesel trade name.  specifically a scale mode of the 6v53 and 353 versions of the engine.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Detroit diesel model
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »
Welcome to MEM freefuel. So are you working on one of these currently? If so, would love to see pictures, or pictures of your shop for that matter. We do love pictures here :)

Bill

Offline Rustkolector

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
Freefuel,
The diesel fuel injection system has always been the challenge of building a model diesel engine. The DD used unit injectors, which for those unfamiliar, are a combined fuel injection pump and injector mounted in the head and operated by the camshaft. This would be no little task in miniature. The injector plunger and bushings would have to be ground to very close tolerances to work, not to mention the fine injector holes. A valve in head two stroke spark ignition engine with blower scavenging could be just as interesting and might be doable,....and could look just like a DD engine.

Jeff

Offline freefuel

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
Sorry no pics to share, I am limited to using rented shop time currently. the injectors would be the first undertaking and after seeing the Lister 6/1 model I feel his method is acceptable despite the injector nailing.

my greatest limitation currently is the lack of usable drawings of the engines and it's components, and unlike the small block Chevy these engines are too large to have around just for the task of taking measurements.

Jeff, a glow engine might be easier then trying to hide the spark ignition system, it's 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other because spark plugs and glow plugs are available in the same sizes.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

I am currently working a fuel injection system for a 20 to 25 cc cylinder. It works as a petrol injection system with manifold injection and I am developing the techniques to produce a diesel version.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4906.0.html

Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal