Author Topic: Floods in Missouri  (Read 2902 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Floods in Missouri
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:58:51 AM »
Just wondering if any of our members are dealing with the floods in Missouri.
I hope all is okay.

My folks had to take a big detour to get home but made it safely.
Found out some of my old stomping grounds have been virtually wiped out.
Devil's Elbow. Wow. I heard 3 homes are left. That was a popular place for the high school kids to go for roller skating, partying...parking.
Two of the homes I used to live in are flooded.

Big Piney, Gasconade, Roubidoux were all rivers/creeks that I floated as a teenager.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Floods in Missouri
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 02:24:41 AM »
No one else interested in what's happening in southern and eastern Missouri?

I am thankful that my family and friends are okay.
I am thankful that any of our members in that area are okay.

"To work. To work."

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:51:16 AM »
Zee,  I never seem to hear about stuff like that over here.  It is sad when so much is wiped out by nature, but Property can be rebuilt, memories will last, but the main job is people not being hurt/ killed.  Best wishes to all involved.           Terry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
Zee, I was finally able to see some of the news reports last evening and my heart goes out to everyone there. The losses of property, crops and lives are truly staggering, though the number of fatalities from what I heard hasn't been nearly as bad as it might have been. I am glad your folks are ok and send out best wishes to everyone there with hopes that the flood waters will soon recede.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 04:01:28 PM »
No one else interested in what's happening in southern and eastern Missouri?

I am thankful that my family and friends are okay.
I am thankful that any of our members in that area are okay.

Zee..............it's certainly not that folks aren't interested in what's happening in southern and eastern Missouri. I think it's more being overwhelmed with what's happening with the wx all over the country (or world for that matter). Every night when we watch the national news, a fair amount of time is taken up with the reports of devastating wx somewhere. It must really pinch when you see it happen where you grew up and still have family. I know it would for me here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon.

Anyway, your first post in this thread points out the personal nature of the devastation that Mother Nature can deal us. I too am thankful that your friends and family are ok.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »
Sadly the leftovers from those storms in the south are wreaking more havoc:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/flooding-may-5-west-quebec-eastern-ontario-1.4100803

This just up the road from us: http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/05/05/port-dalhousie-waterlogged

We expect another 2-3" before end of Saturday. The Canadian East coast is worse off: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/route-105-closed-flood-1.4100742, expecting another 6" of rain.

Sad to see the devastation, esp when there is zero you can do to prevent it.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Jack

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »
I live just South of St. Louis on the outskirts of a little river town called Arnold. No water here but all the roads in and out of the county where closed including Interstate 55. I am high and dry but couldn't go anywhere for a few days but things are returning to normal as the water goes down. With all the rain we have had around here everything is saturated 10 to 12 inches of rain in just a few days last week. I have tools that are rusting in the shop as we speak!!!!!!

Jack

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 02:37:33 PM »
Nothing on the news about floods in USA, I suppose it could be that there is an out of season Cyclone up the Pacific a bit, and we had a bit of a brush with the last two, with our own floods.
Ian S C

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 02:38:17 PM »
Bad weather is nothing new. It's just that now that "Politics" has slowed down there is nothing else to cover that is as "emotional" for the TV .
   ...lew...

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »
Zee, isn't this the same area that was ravenged in the last year or so?

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 11:09:40 PM »
Thanks all.

You're right. Other 'issues' in the world do seem to overcome this. Can't blame that. This is a short term issue (so to speak). The rest will/can haunt our children and children's children.

@Eric...yes. It was a year or two ago that my hometown got flooded. It's odd though. Some areas this time (e.g. Devil's Elbow) got hit worse than last time. Last time Waynesville was hit bad. Waynesville is in a valley with the Roubidoux going by. Gasconade is not far off and the Pineys are nearby too.

Last I heard...5 deaths attributed to this. I cannot help but think that such deaths are avoidable. Most seem to occur from people thinking they can cross a rising creek. (Did that. Won't again.)

That area has a really good tornado warning system. (Spent many hours in the basement. That's one thing I don't miss about leaving the Ozarks.)

Unfortunately...it's going to happen again and again.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »
Not hearing much about it here, the local news is full of reporting on the local flooding as Lake Ontario is up to record levels and flooding/eroding the shoreline and bays. Same around the rest of the lake in US and Canada - with all the local rain, plus all the water that drains down from the rest of the Great Lakes, it can only go out the St Lawrence River (they have been arguing for a good part of the last century on the policies to regulate the flow out the river, probably wont stop for another century at least). It gets worse here depending on wid direction, whoever is downwind gets storm surge. Fortunately I never splurged on the lakefront property, but those who did are in real trouble.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 02:26:54 AM »
Zee, I am assuming that you have/are checking in with your family still and that they remain ok.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal