Author Topic: Lane and Bodley 400hp Corliss  (Read 60854 times)

Online sco

Re: Lane and Bodley 400hp Corliss
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »
Thanks Dave!

I used a slitting saw to cut the steam passages into the valve bore which turned into a tense machining operation with a lot of squealing and grabbing - thankfully completed without mishap.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
- which turned into a tense machining operation with a lot of squealing and grabbing -

That is kind of normal if you use a slitting saw like that with such a big engangement angle.
Your machine would have to be extremely stiff as well as the mandrel that holds the saw. Even then it can happen.

It should work way better if you:
- use a slitting saw with less (and coarser) teeth - maybe even a single tooth tool (fly cutter like)
- if you have cnc: use a trochoidal milling strategy (so the engagement angle doesn't get too big)
- without cnc: put the part onto the rotary table and then rotate the cylinder to take small cuts with the slittig saw

But nice work anyway!

Cheers Florian

Online sco

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »
Thanks Florian.  I did go for a fairly coarse toothed saw - 40T - was worried that any coarser risked a big grab as the saw broke through into the valve bore.  I also used something like the trochoidal method you mention by hand by plunging the saw for a short distance then shifting it a few mm in the other axis before plunging again and repeating multiple times.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »
Hi Simon , Following along with interest, and an interesting project with lots of identical parts to make !!!

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »
Hi Simon
That looks like the kind of job that Sir Alex Ferguson (ex manager of Manchester United FC ) would call "Squeaky bum time."   A good result though.

Your talk of squealing and grabbing brought back memories of a girl I used to know.   8)

Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »

Your talk of squealing and grabbing brought back memories of a girl I used to know.   8)

Sounds like Jo when she sees a set of castings going cheap :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »

:headscratch:

I normally get accused of sounding like an Eider Duck when I see a set of desirable castings  :embarassed:

Jo
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:29:04 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 04:35:56 PM »
Hi Simon
That looks like the kind of job that Sir Alex Ferguson (ex manager of Manchester United FC ) would call "Squeaky bum time."   A good result though.

Jim

Hi Jim,

It was definitely a bit nerve wracking and I was expecting the cutter to look a bit secondhand after I'd finished but it seems as sharp as when I started - it was about £10 off of Jurrassic tools who I highly recommend.

Girls that squeal when you grab them - hmm!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »

:headscratch:

I normally get accused of sounding like an Eider Duck when I see a set of desirable castings  :embarassed:

Jo
There were a number of the Eider's out on the bay at Boothbay Harbor in Maine last week, was one of them you on a casting hunt?!

Offline kvom

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »
As long as we're on the subject of eider ducks, I stayed at an airbnb in Iceland where the hostess is a weaver.  She and her husband own a tiny, uninhabited island off the west coast of Iceland where several eider ducks nest each summer.  When they've departed, she goes and collects the nests to harvest the eider down.  She told me those nests are really nasty and it takes a lot of work to get a little down. 

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »
Hi Simon, good to see more progress with your Corliss build. I will enjoy every step, I do like this engine type.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »
was worried that any coarser risked a big grab as the saw broke through into the valve bore. 

Well the one on your picture is pretty much fine in my opinion. Thats what i am talking about when I say coarse:

(picture comes from here: http://www.slitting-saw.com/Slitting-Saw-HSS-and-Carbide-saws/Slitting-saw-DIN-1838-B/)

The risk of grabbing is real, but with small steps it should be possible to manage doing it without grabbing. What you described as the "manual trochidal milling" is - as I see it - exactly the right thing to prevent it from grabbing. Only I would plunge in the middle and then "cut it free" on both sides - lets say like 2mm in each direction. This way you should be able to have only the center of the blade cutting when plunging (which is the difficult operation when you cut with the full width of the blade)

However, it went well and thats what is most important 8)

Florian

Online sco

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Used the dividing head to make the inlet and exhaust valves - don't really need the precision of the dividing head but it was convenient to hold the stock.  The inlets stayed straight but the exhausts needed straightening before they would turn freely again in their bores.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
Don't forget to put the slots in the back end of the valves to aid setting and adjusting them once installed.  ;)
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Online sco

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »
Don't forget to put the slots in the back end of the valves to aid setting and adjusting them once installed.  ;)
Jim

Thanks Jim, the plans call for just one drive slot and suggest scribing lines showing the valve orientation on the back end of the valve rod for setup purposes.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal