Author Topic: Lane and Bodley 400hp Corliss  (Read 60884 times)

Online sco

Re: Lane and Bodley 400hp Corliss
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »
Boring out the main bearing - Tug recommended using the lathe but my faceplate is nowhere near big enough and its a lot easier to setup on the mill and get things correctly centred.  Not to final size yet but close.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2018, 01:09:47 AM »
Very nice work on a complex bearing Simon.
I’m enjoying seeing your progress.

Dave

Online sco

« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2018, 07:47:45 AM »
Thanks Dave.  I have been wondering about the amount of effort expended though as all this detail is pretty much completly hidden by the crank web and the governor drive gear!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Simon

I think there is an English expression or saying; "It's all in the detail".

In your last photo, is that a special boring head cutter?

Vince

Online sco

« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:02 PM »
Hi Vince,

I think it should be 'The Devil is in the detail' :-)

The cutter is a Sandvik boring bar insert - one of the CXS series - I rather like them.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2018, 12:44:10 PM »
Hi Simon, just caught up with your progress - it's looking good :ThumbsUp:

Are those two holes in the top bearing for lubrication or are they for pegs to retain the bearings as we discussed?  As I said to you I wished I'd gone down this road on my bearings so I'm well impressed with your approach - keep it up  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I'm struggling to type here - there's a 15-20 second delay from keyboard to screen - time for a service I guess ::)

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
Hi Tug,

At the moment those holes are for the lubricators, but with some hollow dowels they could perform both functions!

Trying to post a photo but it's blocked from work.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
Good thinking Simon  ;)

T

Online sco

« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
Below is the picture I was trying to post showing the lubricators.  The crank web has what looks like a screwed on cover - anyone have any ideas what that's for?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2018, 10:13:06 PM »
That's a new one on me Simon - as far as I'm aware British made engines predominantly, if not totally, had shrunk on webs and most, though not all, did not have keys fitted.
Maybe - possibly(?) - this engine design had the means to remove the web, the cover 'finishing' off the outer face ?
Have no idea what that hole in the outer (painted) face is for either unless it really is a clamping screw hole - perhaps to bear on the key? Can't think of any other reason why it would be there  :shrug:

It would certainly be nice to be able to take that cover off to see what's underneath 

Tug

Online sco

« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
Think the hole in the painted face is most likely for a lifting eye - it's not to clamp the key as that's 180degrees round from the hole (just visible if you zoom in).

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #206 on: March 21, 2018, 08:04:22 AM »
Hi Simon - yes that would make more sense and reinforce the idea that it is possibly removable.
I could see where the key is - it was just a possibility - but you are far more likely to have it nailed.

Tug

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #207 on: March 21, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
Interesting that the key does not look like it has a keyway in the shaft. Possibly a step turned on the shaft which would make it a larger dia than we can see but still a very flat key.

Maybe there is some weight reduction going on in the web and the plate is simply to give a neater look by covering the void

Back to the oilers, the photo would suggest that they screw to the darker "plate" which sits ontop of the cap and may not be screwed directly into the cap which could be covering a trough with several oil holes down to the bearing to spread the oil across it's width. Hope you have been to specsavers so you can see to make those oilers!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #208 on: March 21, 2018, 08:26:25 AM »
That's a good point about the key thickness Jason - wonder if anyone from over the pond can shed any light on it's function and make up. Can't see why they would want 'weight reduction' in such a high stress area - surely they would do that in the web body itself if weight was a concern?

Oilers shouldn't be too much of a problem Simon - I have a easier way than using glass tubing should you want. You'll just need to buy yourself a good paint brush :D

Tug

Online sco

« Reply #209 on: March 21, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
Interesting that the key does not look like it has a keyway in the shaft. Possibly a step turned on the shaft which would make it a larger dia than we can see but still a very flat key.

Maybe there is some weight reduction going on in the web and the plate is simply to give a neater look by covering the void

Back to the oilers, the photo would suggest that they screw to the darker "plate" which sits ontop of the cap and may not be screwed directly into the cap which could be covering a trough with several oil holes down to the bearing to spread the oil across it's width. Hope you have been to specsavers so you can see to make those oilers!

I have a better picture of the key - will post when I get home, it has a very shallow register (at least what is visible) in the crank but also a surprising amount of side clearance.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal