Author Topic: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major  (Read 6032 times)

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 15cc Seal and 30cc Seal Major
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Glad to know that the cylinder insertion tool worked well for the most part. That is one task you are probably happy to have behind you now.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »

That's more or less I have found. I had hoped you would have a method to reliably trepan a couple of inches deep from both ends of a CI bar.

Anyone else have any good ideas?

A bit long winded but you can use a cranked tool to undercut each ring and then part off which leaves the core intact, probably a task for a rear mounted parting tool and the cranked tool in the main toolpost. As the undercut is shallow you don't get a problem of swarf buildup like you would if doing a long length in one go

If you really want to see how it's done have a look at some of this guys videos.

And how to make the cutter

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:15:14 PM by Jasonb »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
Yup, that's the way to do it.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Online Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »
Now that's some pretty amazing tool making there!

Just...WOW!!!

John

Online Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, England
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »

But I still broke a ring  :toilet_claw:

Jo
That's why you need copious amounts of lub oil - dry and they all would have broke I suspect. !!  Fragile animals, piston rings.
Glad it worked

Chris

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »
Hi Mike, I have tried using various tools but things like hole saws will not let you get very deep. I have a number of specially shaped HSS tools but loose about 10mm on the diameter if I use those 
Jo

That's more or less I have found. I had hoped you would have a method to reliably trepan a couple of inches deep from both ends of a CI bar.

Anyone else have any good ideas?

Cheers

Mike

I have had success with some Bosch hole saws in cast iron and aluminium. This may be because my bench drill is the most powerful machine I have. The hole saws are 40mm deep and the pieces I was working on were 78mm long.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:48:54 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #126 on: Today at 07:21:17 PM »
Following on from the postman delivering the big ends screws for the Seal (Thank you Dave   :) ) each of the rods have been drilled and tapped.

The trick to position the rods in the vice for drilling the bolt holes is to use the centre line of the rod to get it square in a vice then to  balance out the spacing of the bolts to get the same amount of metal around both bolts.

The next trick is to position the slit in the rod so that it is at the right distance from the centre of the small end boss  :thinking:

Jo
Usus est optimum magister