Author Topic: Hi from Suffolk  (Read 3395 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Hi from Suffolk
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit late for the party as usual but I see quite a few 'old faces' are here already.  This must be the best kept secret on the net - only found out about it when looking at Arc Euro site a few days ago - and since then have been anxiously awaiting my 'acceptance'. Whilst doing that I have been sneaking in and keeping up with Jo's excellent log on the tandem compound - impressive amount of work there Jo  :ThumbsUp: - and looking forward to Jason's Grasshopper developing over the coming weeks.

Having put the last two I/C engines 'to bed' nothing has been done though the workshop has had the window repaired and a fresh coat of Sadolin applied all round along with sundry other well neglected household chores. Currently finishing off a languishing plastic model project   :embarassed: I expect the forthcoming Forncett Steam Museum Model Engineers day closely followed by the Midlands show to kick start the ME 'mode'  ;D

In the meantime I'm most pleased to be signed up to this new venture and look forward to posting on the next project before too long.

Kind regards to all - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: Hi from Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:42 PM »
Welcome, Ramon!!

--Tim

Offline rhitee93

• West Central Indiana, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »
Glad to see you here Ramon!
-Brian

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »
Welcome Ramon!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:30:07 AM »
 :hi: Ramon,

Which IC engines have you just finished? Tell us more....

Whilst doing that I have been sneaking in and keeping up with Jo's excellent log on the tandem compound - impressive amount of work there Jo  :ThumbsUp: -

Flattery  :embarassed: will get you everywhere.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:17:53 AM »
Hi Jo and others, thanks for the welcome.
The I/C engines are those that were recently described on HMEM but as they've had so much exposure recently - POM on there, MEN site and MEW etc plus a couple of articles possibly coming up I'm somewhat reluctant to pursue it further on here at this time. Perhaps at a later date.

However I did think, especially as I'm not active at this precise moment that you might like to see some previous steam engines.

This ST Double Ten is what kicked me off into model engineering in 1972. I didn't build the engine but bought it, sight unseen from a model shop in Bolton - strange how we take such things as telephones for granted these days - the deal was made from a phone box. It arrived in rather a sorry state and painted in a lurid, near luminous, lime green but it did turn over freely. I stripped it and rebuilt it and made the boiler. It was destined for a model steam launch 'Wide a Wake' but that never did get built. The boiler has a pin hole leak in a water tube and I can't be certain that steam dome is not brass. I had no idea of the perils of de- zincification at the time

Fast forward quite a few years and after making a pair of oscillators for a boat (no pics unfortuntely) the Twin Victoria was my first real engine. Made from the basic castings obtained whilst they were still at Henley it was run regularly on steam for several years at events like the Forncett ME day but was sold on a few years back.

Last is a Lang Bridge double diagonal made a few years back. It's never been run on steam (no drain cocks) but runs fine on air. It was an interesting engine to make so I'll post some more pics with a few anecdotes a bit later.

The Waller table engine brings it up to date however, though currently dormant, there is a Mc'Onie oscillator in progress ;)

Oh well, it's back to the plastic for just a little bit longer :)

Hope that's of interest

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
I remember your IC builds well Ramon!   ART!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline rhitee93

• West Central Indiana, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
Show us the Waller!    :NotWorthy:
-Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:49:40 AM »
Welcome Ramon.  Thanks for sharing the steam engine pics and best wishes on the upcoming publications.

Regards,
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal