Author Topic: Mike R says hello from Canada's Capital  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
Mike R says hello from Canada's Capital
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
Hi all,

It took a while before I found out where all of you have been hiding - I never was the best finder in hide and seek!  Anyways - here I am.

A bit about me.  I picked up the machining bug from my dad who is into live steam locomotives, but my tastes tend toward the flying side of things a bit more, I've dabbled in R/C airplanes and then helicopters.  I also played with cars for while doing my own repairs, mods and upgrades.  Got married and had children so moved onto house related projects (wood). Now I've managed to reduce the house projects to a manageable level, I've consolidated my hobbies to machine shop related tasks for the most part so I've started to make forward progress on several long stalled projects.  My accomplishments are few and my in-progress or planned builds are many:

Bob Roach designed 1/6 scale P&W Wasp Jr (castings of heads, pistons, front crankcase, blower ring, lets say I'm about 2% done.)
Karl-Erik Olsryd designed 1/4 scale Wright Whirlwind (castings of heads and rocker covers, packed away under a bench)
Poppin vacuum engine (getting there - lets say 60%)
Elmer Verburg - Wood Beam engine (also getting there - maybe 50%)
Elmer Verburg - wobbler (built with my dad way back when.. done)
Stewart Hart's version of Edger T Westbury's Cygnet Royal Engine ( part of a team build...done)
 LMS Duchess Class in 3 1/2" gauge ( a project given to me by my dad - he bought it in its current state and has given me the task of building it!)
plus my cnc conversion of my mill (always a work in progress) and a half dozen other small projects

So I'm joining here not to find any new projects but to learn how to finish mine and share what I learn along the way.

Thanks,

Mike

chuck foster

Re: Mike R says hello from Canada's Capital
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:15:12 AM »
welcome mike................we need some pictures of what you are working on  :naughty: :naughty:

chuck (now the other canuck)  ;D

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:54:09 AM »
Welcome Mike!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 03:53:09 AM »
Thanks Chuck,

I will be posting pictures in their respective threads, but not just yet as this week and next are shaping up to be rather intense work wise...
Plus on the home shop front I've got a few new toys coming in (DRO for the lathe and a few bits to help me finish off an adapter for my D1-4 chucks to use them on the rotary table...)

Mike R

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal