Author Topic: Vega 9cc V Twin  (Read 6260 times)

Offline Streamer

Vega 9cc V Twin
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:41:22 PM »
Good evening all,

Here is a video of my latest project which has got to the running stage. My first 4 stroke engine, and it has taken me quite a while to finish. The usual anxiety approaching completion (will it run etc.) was heightened by the number of components to make one of these (over 100) so I have tried to start it as soon as I could, without completing the stand and fancy fuel tank I have planned.
I was quite surprised when it started within a second of putting the starter on it, so much so I forgot to turn off the glow plugs on the first run. I had been worried about getting the carbs balanced, but this seems to have gone very easily.
The video is of the fifth run, with about ten minutes running in total. The vid isn't very exciting, I was trying to see how low I could get it to idle, currently about 2,000 rpm. The maximum so far is about 8,200 on the 12 inch prop - I don't know what the pitch of the prop is. I haven't used the slow running screw to the max yet so I may be able to get it lower.
I have not completed a log for this engine  :'( but if anyone is intending to make one I will be happy to help with any questions.
I have completed the engine as per the original design except that I have used metric fixings, bearings etc.

Cheers
Steve
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2OJXFOeNd4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2OJXFOeNd4</a>

Offline Nick_G

Re: Vega 9cc V Twin
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 11:34:47 PM »
Bravo.!  :)

Nice job and an excellent runner it seems.

Nick

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:08 AM »
Nice engine Steve, Can we have some more photos of different aspects of the engine  :)

I have one of these on my build list.  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
Excellent job  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: As Jo says more pictures please  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Hopper

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:22:09 AM »
Very nice indeed. :cheers:
Are the drawings available today or do you have to hunt down the back issues of ME magazine to get them?

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Looks and sounds to be running well. I see you have the quite abrupt inlet manifolds, someone on another forum was having problems with his engine and he thought they may be the cause but it seems not.

J

Offline Streamer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks very much, I will put some more vid up when the stand, tank are done and the electrics tidied up.

Hi Jo, I will get some photos done as I should have some time tomorrow.  The number of engines you seem to make I think you must have a couple of clones stashed in your workshop!

Hopper, the plans are available from My Hobby Store, number PE35 for £12.50 or in the even numbered issues of Model Engineer from volume 156, issues 3768 to 3778.I have both but the plans in the magazine are quite small.

Hi Jason, yes the inlet elbows are drilled at 90 degrees so probably don't help with the fuel flow. On the small diesels I have built so far the venturi always seem to be critical to get right so I was careful to get the taper in and taper out of the carb main body exactly as the drawing, as well as the drilled hole in the elbow and cylinder head. The induction was an area I was a bit nervous about as the elbow to cylinder head joint is simply one flat face to another with a couple of m2 screws to attach, but it seems to work well.

Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
Hi Steve,

Hi Jo, I will get some photos done as I should have some time tomorrow.  The number of engines you seem to make I think you must have a couple of clones stashed in your workshop!

I have a (15cc) Chenery Vee Twin set of castings in the collection. But I have to make a (9cc) Vega as well so that I make sure I understand the differences between the two engines  ;).

Jo

Offline Streamer

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »
Hi Jo,
I did see the Chenery from Hemmingway before I started the Vega, but I am too new to this to be risking expensive castings. The Chenery looks nice but the valve gear looks a bit complex.

Steve

Offline Streamer

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Hi Jo,
Some pics of the Vega, if there is anything specific not in these please let me know.
Steve

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
As I said before very nice  :praise2: How have you linked the two carbs? The abrupt bend after the carb can obstruct the gas flow but can also improve the atomisation/mixing.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Streamer

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:01:04 PM »
Hi Roger,
Thanks very much. The two carbs are controlled by throttle arms, directly screwed to the base of the throttle barrels. One is 'L' shaped and the other a simple straight bar. These are connected by an adjustable linkage (in my case a temporary lashed up affair to try the engine) so that moving one rotates both carb barrels the same amount. I will get some pics up when I can get them of the engine (difficult to get pictures of them in place).

Interesting point about the 90 degree bends, as mine work I daren't muck about with them :)

Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
Nice 8)

I have stored those away with my engine notes.

Jo

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:38 PM »
Beautiful engine and sound very solid and stable at all speeds.
Thomas

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
Steve,
I just caught your Vega v twin. Sounds good, idles down and runs through the rpm range quite well. Just a question about the hose coming out the bottom spewing oil, what is it. Is there oil in there for lube, or does it use blow bye to lube the bottom end? I'm assuming they are connected.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 02:39:22 PM »
Very nicely done. Congratulations on a marvelous engine.--Brian

Offline Corrad

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »
Hi Steve
Beautiful engine, well made and runs very nice - congratulations. I have completed about 40% of my Vega. Can I confirm with you that the glow plug used is what is known as the long reach glow plug.

Offline Streamer

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
Hi Corrad
Thanks very much.
I am away  for a few days at the moment, they are specifically four stroke  plugs but I can't remember which brand.When I get home, I will let you know exactly which ones they are.
Regards
Steven

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal