Author Topic: Off centre turning in a 3 jaw chuck.  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Off centre turning in a 3 jaw chuck.
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 09:56:35 PM »
You might be surprised, but, I'll let you have the last laugh.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »
Made perfect sense to me and funny too. I am easily amused though.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
I was at Tech when Norbert was still in residence as an Institute professor.  He could be seen strolling the aisles staring at the ceiling in deep thought, bag of salted peanuts firmly clutched in left hand while he used his right thumb to track against the wall so he didn't walk into people.  It's rumored, though the story is probably apocryphal, that on occasion, if a classroom door was left open he would enter the room, circle it, and exit it to continue his stroll.   Probably unconnected but this happens to be a perfect algorithm for finding your way out of a maze - not necessarily the quickest but sure fire.

During the war Norbert was a key player in the development of military radar systems.  So key, in fact, that he was assigned an FBI agent to watch over him.  One of his primary duties was to prevent him from wandering into traffic on Massachusetts Avenue where Tech's primary entrance is located.

Another probably apocryphal story...He arrives at work one day with a note pinned to his lapel.  He says nothing about it and his secretary is consumed with curiosity.  At last she takes him some papers to sign and gets a chance to read it.  It says "Don't give me a ride home today.  I have the car."  Since Wiener, like Einstein, could almost certainly not "get it together" well enough to drive, I assume this anecdote is the stuff of faculty happy hours.  [What is true is Einstein's wife, when asked by an academic organizer what car should be rented for the professor, responded, "Oh, that won't be necessary.  Driving is far too complicated for Albert.]
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 12:54:30 AM »
To be honest Marv, if you could have explained it to me and then I could interpolated into shop floor speak, we could have pulled it off. No emojis were harmed in this post .

Cletus

I don't think I could have explained it to you.

Or me  :lolb:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 02:57:43 AM »
To be honest Marv, if you could have explained it to me and then I could interpolated into shop floor speak, we could have pulled it off. No emojis were harmed in this post .

Cletus

I don't think I could have explained it to you.

Or me  :lolb:

Me neither Dave. I was thinking the whole point of Marv's story was that "Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield" (or train in this case)!  :insane:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2017, 04:22:16 AM »
Lost me at 220 ft (insert emjoi of choice)
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
American flies strong like bull.  Two of them can carry off a horse.  That's why we call them horse flies.

Good one Marv - but I'm not naïve ....

Yeah, you missed the point, the joke and the train.  Ever hear of the humor concept called "voluntary suspension of disbelief"?

No, never, had to Google it - but then again, I'm over average in IQ but only slightly better than Rainman in people skills in a number of situations, so I tend to understand something's literally and do not always get them as jokes ....
It is not like I don't have humour ( I laugh quite a bit reading some of the posts here, books and movies), but I don't practice my own as it tends to show other people as inferiors IQ wise (= not nice) and I prefer to be polite, since I'm absolutely no better than the vast majority of people on this planet.

Maybe it would have worked better if I had used Neils Bohr instead of Norbert Wiener?

Only as far as to know who his was and some of what he did (Niels Bohr) - I will be lying if I claimed to understand all he did with for Quantum Physics.

Best wishes

Per

ps  I haven't calculated if 30 seconds at 5 mph equals 220 feet, but it can't be far off.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:39:52 PM by Admiral_dk »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal