Author Topic: Really Interesting Model Air Powered Hit n Miss Engine (Old)  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Really Interesting Model Air Powered Hit n Miss Engine (Old)
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:47 AM »
Oops, that's what I get for trying to type on the phone  :atcomputer:. Fortunately the gnomes are still under control.

Bill

That's not too bad on this forum Bill, but it might not be to good when selling something on Craigslist: "For Sale: Car..........just like new.......no problems at all...........never been wrecked. Signed Bilk

Bilk: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bilk

:lolb: :lolb:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: Really Interesting Model Air Powered Hit n Miss Engine (Old)
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
I'm going to have to change the governor/inlet valve arrangement since it works differently than a typical exhaust valve governor.  The difference is, that an exhaust valve governor holds the valve open during high speed which is accomplished by simply holding the push rod away from the cam.  When controlling the inlet valve, the mechanism must prevent the inlet valve from being opened during high speed so a simple latch won't work.  I think the motor we're discussing here uses a variation of the GE centrifugal governor which is similar to the governor used to advance timing in older car engine distributors.  The variation swings the entire eccentric to one side rather than just rotating (and advancing) the cam.

Here is a schematic of how I think the governor on this engine works.  Mechanical details and shapes need to be refined to fit in a reasonably small, circular envelope.

An eccentric is used for the cam and it swings on a swivel.  The arm with the weight centers the eccentric at higher speeds.  As the flywheel slows down, the spring pulls the eccentric off-center allowing it to swing against the push rod and open the intake valve.

I've also worked out a lever arrangement so the inlet push rod can release the exhaust push rod letting the exhaust valve close.  On my initial go around, I'm going to leave the slave valve in place and just concentrate on the inlet valve.

Hope all this makes sense.  If anyone has additional information on inertial governors, vs centrifugal, it might be an easier approach.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal